The Student Room Group

All good sixth forms near me are private

I live in an area where the only good sixth forms are the private ones.If I wanted to apply to good ones I need to travel over 1 hour to get to Surrey or Kent.I will apply to Henrietta Barnett,St Olaves (really far),Tiffins (a bit far),Kendrick girls school (a bit far).I looked at Wallington county,nonsuch girls school, however, they are slightly too far 1 hour 35 a bit of a stretch?Any advice I care about the sixth form I go to, ok I want to go to a grammar school.Please, no silly comments it would be much appreciated.I just want to go to a new environment where I am challenged and feel stimulated.I want to do chemistry,biology,physics and maths for a level.Dartford is good but it only does IB.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I live in an area where the only good sixth forms are the private ones.If I wanted to apply to good ones I need to travel over 1 hour to get to Surrey or Kent.I will apply to Henrietta Barnett,St Olaves (really far),Tiffins (a bit far),Kendrick girls school (a bit far).I looked at Wallington county,nonsuch girls school, however, they are slightly too far 1 hour 35 a bit of a stretch?Any advice I care about the sixth form I go to, ok I want to go to a grammar school.Please, no silly comments it would be much appreciated.I just want to go to a new environment where I am challenged and feel stimulated.I want to do chemistry,biology,physics and maths for a level.Dartford is good but it only does IB.

I went to a sixth form judged by Ofsted at it's worst to be 'inadequate', and put in special measures. That did not stop me from receiving offers from top institutions (Oxford, UCL, Durham, Warwick). Its about how well you do, not the school you attended.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
I went to a sixth form judged by Ofsted at it's worst to be 'inadequate', and put in special measures. That did not stop me from receiving offers from top institutions (Oxford, UCL, Durham, Warwick). Its about how well you do, not the school you attended.

Well, I want to attend schools which are outstanding you should be proud of your achievements however not everyone can and is as intelligent as you are.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Well, I want to attend schools which are outstanding you should be proud of your achievements however not everyone can and is as intelligent as you are.

A lot of it was hard work. I never underplay the role that played throughout my school life. When I was applying to secondary school, there was an outstanding school in my town. By far one of the best in the area, but it was fiercely oversubscribed. I put my heart on getting in, so naturally, the news I hadn't was heartbreaking for me (I was only 11 at the time!).

However I soon realised attending my secondary school that no matter what the circumstances surrounding me were, so long as I focused on what I had to achieve, I would do well. Yes, there were some idiots in my early years of secondary school, but I didn't engage with them. I shut them off and just focused on aiming for my goals.

I got to where I am now through very hard work and determination throughout. The school I attended didn't really play a part. Indeed, I had made such good rapport with the staff that I chose to stay there for my sixth form years. (With the GCSE grades I had, I could have easily transferred to the outstanding school I missed out on in Year 7).

You wouldn't believe it, but it's the same at Uni too. You have to adapt to the surroundings. Just like I had to shut myself off from the slackers in sixth form, having worked incredibly hard to get here, I don't feel comfortable with a lot of the people here who demonstrate a very privileged attitude. I know that if I engage with them, it would be just as detrimental to my progress as engaging with the slackers in sixth form.

I guess what I am trying to say to you (and anyone else) is that your choice of school shouldn't hold you back (and if you're hardworking and come from a relatively underprivileged family like me, its not just the slackers that can hold you back). So long as you work hard, and focus on your own goals, you will get to wherever you want to go.

Best of luck with getting in to your chosen school, I hope it works out well for you.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
A lot of it was hard work. I never underplay the role that played throughout my school life. When I was applying to secondary school, there was an outstanding school in my town. By far one of the best in the area, but it was fiercely oversubscribed. I put my heart on getting in, so naturally, the news I hadn't was heartbreaking for me (I was only 11 at the time!).

However I soon realised attending my secondary school that no matter what the circumstances surrounding me were, so long as I focused on what I had to achieve, I would do well. Yes, there were some idiots in my early years of secondary school, but I didn't engage with them. I shut them off and just focused on aiming for my goals.

I got to where I am now through very hard work and determination throughout. The school I attended didn't really play a part. Indeed, I had made such good rapport with the staff that I chose to stay there for my sixth form years. (With the GCSE grades I had, I could have easily transferred to the outstanding school I missed out on in Year 7).

You wouldn't believe it, but it's the same at Uni too. You have to adapt to the surroundings. Just like I had to shut myself off from the slackers in sixth form, having worked incredibly hard to get here, I don't feel comfortable with a lot of the people here who demonstrate a very privileged attitude. I know that if I engage with them, it would be just as detrimental to my progress as engaging with the slackers in sixth form.

I guess what I am trying to say to you (and anyone else) is that your choice of school shouldn't hold you back (and if you're hardworking and come from a relatively underprivileged family like me, its not just the slackers that can hold you back). So long as you work hard, and focus on your own goals, you will get to wherever you want to go.

Best of luck with getting in to your chosen school, I hope it works out well for you.

Thank you
If your considering the distance of dartford boys why not dartford girls? They do A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
If your considering the distance of dartford boys why not dartford girls? They do A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will look at it.

Quick Reply

Latest