The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crassy
I always had my suspicions about this. I would be surprised if it didn't extend to non-whites generally getting priority over whites. The vast majority of homeless people I see are white British, even in London. I would assume there are ethnic groups with higher rates of unemployment and drug use so how to explain the discrepancy?

Most street homeless are there through choice ... that is the reality .

they chose to relocate to an area that doesn't have statutroy responsibility
they chose anti social behaviours over emergency accomodation
they chose drug misuse over emergency accomodation
they chose excessive alcohol use over emergency accomodation

then of course there are those who find themselves in acute general hospital with a serious problem and while in there are all nicely set up with social services and housing and then promptly chose to abandon the property and go back o nthe streets ...
Original post by 0to100
disgusting

it is indeed and its in need of change. Men get discriminated against by virtue of their gender. they get no help whatsoever as compared to women. How often do you see homeless women in this country? never because all the money is spent on building shelters for women whilst men, who form the majority of the homeless population are disregarded as waste....and that is truly disgusting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
it is indeed and its in need of change. Men get discriminated against by virtue of their gender. they get no help whatsoever as compared to women. How often do you see homeless women in this country? never because all the money is spent on building shelters for women whilst men, who form the majority of the homeless population are disregarded as waste....and that is truly disgusting.

yyyyyea? But that's not what you said before lol
Original post by CookieButter

I've seen a homeless woman before; not that I don't agree with the rest of what you said though
Original post by zippyRN
Most street homeless are there through choice ... that is the reality .

they chose to relocate to an area that doesn't have statutroy responsibility
they chose anti social behaviours over emergency accomodation
they chose drug misuse over emergency accomodation
they chose excessive alcohol use over emergency accomodation

then of course there are those who find themselves in acute general hospital with a serious problem and while in there are all nicely set up with social services and housing and then promptly chose to abandon the property and go back o nthe streets ...

now you step off and "go away" with this biased "ill-informed" drivel
Original post by 0to100
yyyyyea? But that's not what you said before lol

Thats exactly what i wrote before my friend, you seem to have misunderstood me....let me write this again for you:

"My friend, firstly you were born male. You have no right to ask for anything in this sexist, matriarchal society that caters only to women in every aspect of life."
Original post by 0to100
Anyway what I said is true.

Let's not get caught up in the e-hysteria.
The facts still remain:

if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord.

How is any of this "hate speech"? ^^^^^

Pop down to your local council and copy and paste the bold above and read it to them and watch them agree.

That seems fair, I don't want my tax wasted on housing people who refuse to work/look for work.
Original post by 0to100

Have you ever worked with a homeless charity? Because lets just stop you right there.

Via the No Second Night Out initiative (which was designed to hide homeless people for the london olympics rather than help them), the vast majority of the UK's homeless are not actually sleeping rough. 2 years ago while helping a charity in Liverpool, the number sleeping rough in that city was roughly 9-12 who were all well known to the local charities. The rest either had help finding hostel spaces (nasty places admittedly), friends, family or even volunteers to help have them somewhere to sleep. In the Hostels however they have a high turnover due to anti-social behaviour and most hostels due to housing vulnerable individuals will often have a zero tolerance to anti-social behaviour, drugs (usually alcohol addiction) and violent behaviour. The policy a the time was three strikes (aka getting kicked out of three government funded/programme hostels) before they no longer could get support outside of charities. Once living rough the general time period to intercepting individuals (often young people) before alcoholism set in was roughly a week..... Also via the amount of free food given out by charities daily and dirt cheap food (I mean a meal for a matter of pence), plus postal addresses for JSA, benefits and helping people into work means there is virtually no reason that they should be begging. Remember the outrage concerning nottingham city councils adverts on bins telling people that homeless people will spend all the money you give them on booze? Well serious homeless charities that work face to face with such people have to face up to the reality such actions actually kill people, I spoke to one guy who's friend was given £20 by some good samaritan and they proceeded to drink themselves to death.

As such the statement,
"they chose to relocate to an area that doesn't have statutory responsibility
they chose anti social behaviours over emergency accommodation
they chose drug misuse over emergency accommodation
they chose excessive alcohol use over emergency accommodation",
while being harsh is actually fairly correct. It's actually quite hard in this modern day and age to be sleeping rough unless you make the conscious decision to do so or unless you have inner demons such as addiction.

However back to immigrants.... what support precisely do they get that UK citizens do not? It's not like someone goes "oh they're immigrants, they must go to the top of the queue"..... or are you upset that children get priority?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100

and you basis for this assertion ? vs decade + operational experience in emergency care and prehospital care and the experience of colleagues and of Police officers i know ...
Original post by DanB1991
Have you ever worked with a homeless charity? Because lets just stop you right there.
<snip>

As such the statement,
while being harsh is actually fairly correct. It's actually quite hard in this modern day and age to be sleeping rough unless you make the conscious decision to do so or unless you have inner demons such as addiction.

However back to immigrants.... what support precisely do they get that UK citizens do not? It's not like someone goes "oh they're immigrants, they must go to the top of the queue"..... or are you upset that children get priority?

well said Dan , of course operational experience will be trumped by the stories of those who refused help or those who simply do not have any actual experience as this is TSR.

20 quid will buy thirteen litres of white shitening ....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991

Via the No Second Night Out initiative (which was designed to hide homeless people for the london olympics rather than help them), the vast majority of the UK's homeless are not actually sleeping rough. 2 years ago while helping a charity in Liverpool, the number sleeping rough in that city was roughly 9-12 who were all well known to the local charities. The rest either had help finding hostel spaces (nasty places admittedly), friends, family or even volunteers to help have them somewhere to sleep. In the Hostels however they have a high turnover due to anti-social behaviour and most hostels due to housing vulnerable individuals will often have a zero tolerance to anti-social behaviour, drugs (usually alcohol addiction) and violent behaviour. The policy a the time was three strikes (aka getting kicked out of three government funded/programme hostels) before they no longer could get support outside of charities. Once living rough the general time period to intercepting individuals (often young people) before alcoholism set in was roughly a week..... Also via the amount of free food given out by charities daily and dirt cheap food (I mean a meal for a matter of pence), plus postal addresses for JSA, benefits and helping people into work means there is virtually no reason that they should be begging. Remember the outrage concerning nottingham city councils adverts on bins telling people that homeless people will spend all the money you give them on booze? Well serious homeless charities that work face to face with such people have to face up to the reality such actions actually kill people, I spoke to one guy who's friend was given £20 by some good samaritan and they proceeded to drink themselves to death.

As such the statement,

First off all that bit about the Olympics is irrelevant; homelessness is rapidly increasing by 100s of percent since UniversalCredit. Secondly I'm not even going to further entertain your ridiculous preconceptions about the homeless in the country.

Lastly my original title of the thread WAS in fact "THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGRANTS, ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, AND REFUGEE" for the simple fact that people like you keep using them interchangeably. I'm clearly not on about immigrants and don't you dare bring children into this because firstly if you had read what I bloody wrote in my OP instead of decidedly responding to a non-sequitur (who does that?) then you would have seen me say that I am actually angry that British people with children are made homeless (evicted for whatever reason or turnt down by council despite having kids due to bureaucratic technicalities when foreigners who fall under those same technicalities are suddenly made priority) and I really don't know why you're defending council because of this or what you're point is at all and secondly I made a very to my surprise successful thread on Benefits where I explicitly defend people who have children. So how about not judging me which you actually have the cheek to do since your rhetoric clearly states that you think *I* am the judgmental one here. And lastly PLEASE LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MIGRANT and IMMIGRANT. THANK YOU.
Original post by zippyRN
and you basis for this assertion ? vs decade + operational experience in emergency care and prehospital care and the experience of colleagues and of Police officers i know ...

Anyway revert back to this comment and read it verbatim to your local council:

Original post by 0to100
Anyway what I said is true.

Let's not get caught up in the e-hysteria.
The facts still remain:

if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord.

Pop down to your local council and copy and paste the bold above and read it to them and watch them agree.

Tell me what they say and on your way out:

has homelessness increased since Universal Credit, yes or no? It went up 300% in just 2013 despite Clegg saying everything would be rosy when it gets introduced basically.
Original post by 0to100
Anyway revert back to this comment and read it verbatim to your local council:

Tell me what they say and on your way out:

has homelessness increased since Universal Credit, yes or no? It went up 300% in just 2013 despite Clegg saying everything would be rosy when it gets introduced basically.

what definition of Homelessness ?

plus of course thereare all the leftie idiots telling people to not pay their rent contributions or to get into CT debt rather than look at their budgetign or move if they are underoccupying and consequently faced with a gap between HB and rent ...
Original post by Lord Samosaa
That seems fair, I don't want my tax wasted on housing people who refuse to work/look for work.

Granted but is that hate speech? Yes or no? That's not even my issue though:

the issue is that's for British citizens, and the qualifications are much lower and lax for non-citizens. Does that make sense yes or no? For a second ease up on saying what's socially mainstream for reps for just a second and really think about if it makes sense to be strict on citizens and to prioritise those who aren't. Does that really make sense to you?

Also people are focusing more so on my opinion of this matter and letting it eclipse the facts. The facts being, what you responded to for what British citizens have to do and what foreigners do not. Granted you disagree, but the facts remain and people want to focus more on my opinion...
Original post by zippyRN
what definition of Homelessness ?

plus of course thereare all the leftie idiots

what are you talking about?

And ok anyway let me keep repeating because ow you're blatantly being illiterate:

"if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord.

Pop down to your local council and copy and paste the bold above and read it to them and watch them agree"
Original post by 0to100
Granted but is that hate speech? Yes or no? That's not even my issue though:

the issue is that's for British citizens, and the qualifications are much lower and lax for non-citizens. Does that make sense yes or no? For a second ease up on saying what's socially mainstream for reps for just a second and really think about if it makes sense to be strict on citizens and to prioritise those who aren't. Does that really make sense to you?

Also people are focusing more so on my opinion of this matter and letting it eclipse the facts. The facts being, what you responded to for what British citizens have to do and what foreigners do not. Granted you disagree, but the facts remain and people want to focus more on my opinion...

a none citizen will not get social housing ...

the social housing offer fro mthe LA with statutory responsibility to a British Citizen , Irish Citizen , person of any nationaltiy with IDLR or established EU national is rather different to the offer to none - entitled but you continue to ignore this point to make you racist and hate filled apparent point ...
Also yes or no, has homelessness increased in this country and is still increasing, yes or no?

You can't hide behind reps, people, for saying on your little computers what's automatically favourable. And then thinking that suffices. It doesn't. Really use your heads this time.

Is homelessness increasing? Homelessness means, the number of citizens counted (and those uncounted, but even those who are counted) are rising in not having a place to live, for whatever reason.

The point is, it's a fact and whether I like Romanians or not is irrelevant to the facts.
Original post by zippyRN
a none citizen will not get social housing ...

That is a lie.

Anyway again like I said, log out, stop bickering with me to feel big, and ask your local council just for starters:

"
"if you are British and want emergency housing you have to be working, show you are looking for work, not have property elsewhere, and not leave the residence at your own accord."

Go ask them. Since you pretend to think I'm lying. That's what this thread is about anyway so stop tryna detour.

What you can do in the meantime is attack me for my opinion and get reps for it beause other unknowledgable people quickly agree with your Twitter logic, but what you keep doing with your deflections is proving who the ill-informed one is after all. You're way more versed in insulting people than you are taking a breather and discussing facts without claiming you know police officers, whose opinions are irrelevant in this discussion.

There's nothing left to respond to except, actually, the question you keep dodging:

has homelessness increased, yes or no?

You want to make this about my opinion on foreigners so you can divert from the facts that you clearly aren't aware of by choice. I already see through your social justice warrior facade my friend.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
OP

please go away and return when you understand how social housing in the UK is allocated rather than believing the effluent produced by the far right

most 'migrants' have no entitlement as they are either on a Visa which do not allow recourse to public funds and/or they have no 'local link' with any LA in the UK ...

i also wonder if you are confusing eligibility for Housing benefit and to register to bid for social housing with eligibilty for emergency accomodation beyond the initial period and priority in the bidding process ...

The problem though is that people play the system no matter if they are from the UK or another country.

In my local area the council and HA had to learn POLISH to speak to people as they had that many applications from people and now do their leaflets in dual Polish and English, as you can guess we have a huge Polish population here.

Even spoken to people who have lived here a few years and started a family who moaned about how they should get a council house "as they have need" Sure they work and pay in but there is people waiting years getting pushed down the lists due to this.

And me myself I live in accomodation that is old, the flat upstairs is run down and someone moved into it recently KNOWING it was run down (foreign guy) speaking to me he was telling me how he OWNED a house abroad and came from what would be seen as a wealthy family, he didn't care the state of property as he just bought a nice bed for it and uses it to sleep and stays with relatives a lot.

The state of his property is so bad a leak made one of my ceilings collapse, the fire brigade had to damage his door to stop the leak and he was at my door screaming and shouting how hes a victim (im the one who now has a chest infection from the mould due to leak and ceiling collapse, and im disabled as well) I got ZERO points for council housing.

He has now been allocated council housing for being in a property of disrepair despite owning a BMW, flashes the cash and knowing when he moved in the property was run down (£180 a month for a 2 bedroom property makes alarm bells ring to anyone really)
The fact is, there is NO evidence at all for 'foreigners' (whatever the **** that means for the far-right politicians and tabloids) to get allocated housing over natives in equal circumstance.

The only time you might be able to make this claim is when talking about asylum seekers (seeing as they have special dispensation when it comes to housing) but please, have some humanity, these are people running away from war-zones, from terrorists and dictators, from all manner of horryfying memories.

Fact is, everyone born in this country has a fair chance to housing and in many cases are preferred housing over migrants due to discrimination/racism (not accusing you, talking about officials abusing their power).

Please, blame the housing crisis on the people who have created it (the government) and don't unfairly shift blame onto foreigners.

Migrants have contributed billions of pounds to the UK economy over the past ten years, in fact they contribute 20% more than thry take out (e.g they take out 100 in benefits, they give 120 back in taxes and spending). It is the governments responsibility to allocate this money in housing or otherwise.

Peace.

Latest

Trending

Trending