The Student Room Group

If you go to a low ranked uni could you be refused a job

I did not believe this but my friend insists this is true.
Yes. You could also be refused a job if you go to a high ranking university.
Original post by clonedmemories
Yes. You could also be refused a job if you go to a high ranking university.

Sorry i should have made this clear- could you be refused a job because of the university
Original post by ValkyrieScythe
Sorry i should have made this clear- could you be refused a job because of the university

Hmmm, I think it comes down more to what course you've done (i.e. how relevant it is) and whether you have a first, 2:1 etc. But they might possibly reject you in favour of someone with a better uni on their cv. Job market is competitive these days.

An employer is going to hire the person they think is the most qualified for the job. That includes the course content, the quality of the teaching, an individual's academic success and their extra-curricular achievements and skills.

You won't be refused a job because the ranking is low. You may be refused a job because of what that low ranking means; it generally signifies a lower quality of teaching or less advanced content than universities of higher ranking.
Nah, chill out, Jack Sparrow.

I'm remember reading this somewhere but don't the places want to hire the person not the university?

So sure it makes a small difference but even so, it's you they're hiring in the end.
i don't think there is a black list of dodgy yoonies ?

CMIIW
I did not believe this but my friend insists this is true.

It's nonsense for all but a very small group of employers.
Reply 9
Employers will almost always pick oxbridge graduates over london met graduates
I had a friend who went to a highly ranked ivy league university. He messed up and graduated with the worst ever gpa possible for one to graduate with ( in his words). True to his words, he was unable to find a job and was upset people with degrees from colleges which weren't even that highly ranked were getting jobs but not him.
So it really just matters how well you study and work on your choice of subjects.
All the best!
Maybe if you went somewhere totally terrible then yeah they might reject you but for average or below average units they won't care as much for the most part

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending