The Student Room Group

Talking about my studies?

Hey!

I have finished my Personal Statement, however came across some suggestions made by a member of staff at my sixth form. They suggested that I discuss more about my studies and how they'll help me for an Economics degree. I have discussed vaguely about my Mathematics A level helping me with one aspect, but that's it. I have discussed everything else, such as why I want to do the course, what interests me about the course, what I do outside my learning about the course, how will it help me with my future aspirations, why I want to go to university, showing my understanding of what the course is about and it's importance, my work experience and my extra curricular stuff within all this I only mentioned about 1-2 sentences about my the subjects i'm studying.

I should discuss more about my studies if i've covered all them points or should I keep it how it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to talk about your A levels at all - it's a common misconception
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

I have finished my Personal Statement, however came across some suggestions made by a member of staff at my sixth form. They suggested that I discuss more about my studies and how they'll help me for an Economics degree. I have discussed vaguely about my Mathematics A level helping me with one aspect, but that's it. I have discussed everything else, such as why I want to do the course, what interests me about the course, what I do outside my learning about the course, how will it help me with my future aspirations, why I want to go to university, showing my understanding of what the course is about and it's importance, my work experience and my extra curricular stuff within all this I only mentioned about 1-2 sentences about my the subjects i'm studying.

I should discuss more about my studies if i've covered all them points or should I keep it how it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really have to talk about that. I doubt many people will.
Reply 3
Original post by *Interrobang*
You don't need to talk about your A levels at all - it's a common misconception

ah right, that's what I was thinking, but i wasn't so sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Illimitable
You don't really have to talk about that. I doubt many people will.

I noticed that, I read loads of example just after I was told this and noticed majority of them either briefly mentioned something or didn't at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I noticed that, I read loads of example just after I was told this and noticed majority of them either briefly mentioned something or didn't at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok. You can briefly mention it but don't ramble on about it. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Illimitable
Oh ok. You can briefly mention it but don't ramble on about it. :smile:

ah thanks anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
ah thanks anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by bhfn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Discussing your A Levels isn't really useful, so if you have other things to include they should go in instead. Unis know what skills A Levels will give you - they know that maths will give you maths skills. So if you're doing the standard A Levels for the subject then you're not telling unis anything that they don't know. If you're doing more unusual subjects then anything you do say about your A Levels will either be ridiculous or unbelievable. Unis don't need to know how you'll be able to help other students understand lectures through the medium of interpretive dance.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
Discussing your A Levels isn't really useful, so if you have other things to include they should go in instead. Unis know what skills A Levels will give you - they know that maths will give you maths skills. So if you're doing the standard A Levels for the subject then you're not telling unis anything that they don't know. If you're doing more unusual subjects then anything you do say about your A Levels will either be ridiculous or unbelievable. Unis don't need to know how you'll be able to help other students understand lectures through the medium of interpretive dance.

ah right, thank for you for this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending