The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keeleyvic
I know! Keeping it quiet haha. Yeah it's like from 10 months ago so should be okay!
Albert Bridge in Manchester, you?

Edinburgh :smile:
Original post by HungryHippo53
Edinburgh :smile:

Hope all goes well! We seem to be in the same position so you'll have to keep me updated on any progress!
Anyone waiting to drop off documents in London? as I have been waiting forever for a date to go and submit my prove of address as the one submitted during interview is no longer valid....annoying.
Original post by mabze
Its pretty quick. Done in a week or so. Getting a start date is the million dollar question. Been on that for over 2 weeks now and it's p#*in me off 😇

Thanks guys. You're right! They could keep us better informed regardless of the situation.
Has anybody been made a formal offer for the Stratford office? If not, has anybody heard anything about Stratford and whether any offers will be made for that office?

I CAN'T TRAVEL A MILLION MILES TO CROYDON!!!
Reply 2545
Does anyone have a number for Liverpool? Still haven't had any contact about taking documents in.
Would it be possible for anyone already started working for hmrc to provide some insight on what's involved in a tax casework role please?
Original post by pukahontas
How long did you have to wait until you were told which tax regime you were in? I started my HO role yesterday in Leeds and they said they're still working on where to put people but we're all in SME.

We're on the longer style training scheme by the sounds of it too.

The flexi is great. I'm used to having it but the fact there's no core hours is still a welcome surprise.

Hi,
I think I might have asked you the same question before. Would be grateful if you could kindly answer again please.
How is it going at hmrc for you and what exactly do you have to do as a caseworker? I have asked my friend from hmrc about this before and he had no clue.
Belfast applicants...

Is anyone is still waiting for an e-mail regarding referees/health declaration/DBS?

What stage are you at?

Thanks.
Hi fellow 1320/16 people.

I just wanted to know if anyone was in the same situation as me? I have a formal offer which was sent to Me by email, my status on civil service jobs however is still showing as 'pre-employment checks passed'
Reply 2550
Original post by memoryfish
Hi fellow 1320/16 people.

I just wanted to know if anyone was in the same situation as me? I have a formal offer which was sent to Me by email, my status on civil service jobs however is still showing as 'pre-employment checks passed'

Not that recruitment but mine was like that for 3 weeks after getting my formal offer. Nothing to worry about, they only update it weekly or so.
Original post by Minty1616
Hi,
I think I might have asked you the same question before. Would be grateful if you could kindly answer again please.
How is it going at hmrc for you and what exactly do you have to do as a caseworker? I have asked my friend from hmrc about this before and he had no clue.

It's going well so far but unlike the intake from April who were on an 18 month training plan we're now on a 6 month plan which involves 25-35 hours of reading a week, every week for six months with casework filling the rest of the time. My team won't be given a case until the end of November however. As well as the reading there are regular knowledge checks which are done in your own time and aren't under exam conditions. You get two chances, you have two chances to pass each check but it's impossible to fail twice, they're multiple choice so just jot down the question and possible answers, go back to the learning to re-read and then take the test again.

I haven't done any casework yet but my understanding from sitting with my mentor is certain tax returns are identified by a different department as suspicious and it's down to the caseworker to do a full investigation. This involves checking all of the info available e.g tax return, accounts, invoices etc, the taxpayers previous compliance history; contacting the taxpayer for further documents and sometimes visiting them to interview them about their return, getting them to explain inaccuracies, examining business processes to see if errors are occurring due to inexperienced staff etc.

It's then a case to judge how much tax has been underpaid if any, whether any penalties are appropriate for submitting an inaccurate return and educating the tax payer to ensure more accurate returns in the future and to motivate them to be more compliant.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's going well so far but unlike the intake from April who were on an 18 month training plan we're now on a 6 month plan which involves 25-35 hours of reading a week, every week for six months with casework filling the rest of the time. My team won't be given a case until the end of November however. As well as the reading there are regular knowledge checks which are done in your own time and aren't under exam conditions. You get two chances, you have two chances to pass each check but it's impossible to fail twice, they're multiple choice so just jot down the question and possible answers, go back to the learning to re-read and then take the test again.

I haven't done any casework yet but my understanding from sitting with my mentor is certain tax returns are identified by a different department as suspicious and it's down to the caseworker to do a full investigation. This involves checking all of the info available e.g tax return, accounts, invoices etc, the taxpayers previous compliance history; contacting the taxpayer for further documents and sometimes visiting them to interview them about their return, getting them to explain inaccuracies, examining business processes to see if errors are occurring due to inexperienced staff etc.

It's then a case to judge how much tax has been underpaid if any, whether any penalties are appropriate for submitting an inaccurate return and educating the tax payer to ensure more accurate returns in the future and to motivate them to be more compliant.

Those of us starting this month are only getting 3 months training.....
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
Those of us starting this month are only getting 3 months training.....

Looking at my training plan I genuinely can't see how it could be condensed to 3 months. Good luck.

Sounds interesting!! Thanks for that! Can I ask your location? And has there been much scope to work from home?

Thanks for the insight. Have you been able to benefit from flexi time during training much?
I'm based in Leeds. With the amount of reading we do we put it forward to management to request study days as at the moment we're coming into the office to read things we could read at home but they want us to be in the office but I know in Manchester that they've been given one study day a week.

Flexi is available from day one. Some people have already built enough flexi to take a flexi day. I try to build enough through the week to leave early on a Friday. My floor is almost empty by 3pm on a Friday. Some are travelling from Sheffield and have chosen to build enough to leave at 12 on a Friday.

I had to travel from Leeds to Bootle for an event yesterday which was a 4 hour round trip so that's been added to my flexi.

I was already in the civil service so was aware of flexi but everywhere I've been has had core hours where you have to be in the office such as 10-3. There's none of that in this role, you can come and go as you please, in theory you could work 11-1 one day if you wanted to. Which is probably what everyone will be doing the day after the Christmas do 🤔
Reply 2557
Original post by Minty1616
Would it be possible for anyone already started working for hmrc to provide some insight on what's involved in a tax casework role please?

You get a case, normally a pretty **** one at the start that won't get much income. Taxi drivers, cafes, builders are typical cases that you'll get at first. You'll be lucky to get a couple of grand out of them. You read the notes on the case, write a review on it, and then start sending letters out. Essentially you want all records from the customer and to work out if they've fiddled the accounts. It's a lot more logical work than accounting or tax work to be honest. Bit boring at the start though.

25 to 35 hours of reading? Strongly disagree. I've found it to be closer to 15-20 hours for majority of subjects so far. Module 3 should require more work.

I'm based in Leeds. With the amount of reading we do we put it forward to management to request study days as at the moment we're coming into the office to read things we could read at home but they want us to be in the office but I know in Manchester that they've been given one study day a week.

Flexi is available from day one. Some people have already built enough flexi to take a flexi day. I try to build enough through the week to leave early on a Friday. My floor is almost empty by 3pm on a Friday. Some are travelling from Sheffield and have chosen to build enough to leave at 12 on a Friday.

I had to travel from Leeds to Bootle for an event yesterday which was a 4 hour round trip so that's been added to my flexi.

I was already in the civil service so was aware of flexi but everywhere I've been has had core hours where you have to be in the office such as 10-3. There's none of that in this role, you can come and go as you please, in theory you could work 11-1 one day if you wanted to. Which is probably what everyone will be doing the day after the Christmas do 🤔

In Manchester we don't get 1 day of study per week. We get as much as we can justify. So if there's 15 hours of work for one module, we can take 2 days study leave for example.

Ahahahah, I was in Bootle too yesterday. We probably talked to each other during the ice breaker!
Reply 2558

Mind me asking what intake you were? Any chance you could possibly ask someone when they're expecting to hire more people? 😭 Sadness creeping in from lack of start date

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I have been made the offer in August as a transfer from TSP.
So does that mean it is no longer a two year structured training programme instead you will have six months of training in the beginning then off on your own?
So the online tests are replacing the professional exams as well?
Does that mean you didn't get any case given until couple of months after you have started?

Latest

Trending

Trending