The Student Room Group

Should Michelle Obama run for president in 2020?

The First Lady to Barack Obama is very popular and many think she would be in with a chance of winning the election for the Democrats in 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/09/people-are-asking-michelle-obama-to-run-for-president-in-2020-af/

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Just to go on to prove how corrupt the US system is?

Why would she make a better candidate than the millions of other women in the US, because she married the right guy?
Reply 2
Original post by Willy Pete
Why would she make a better candidate than the millions of other women in the US, because she married the right guy?

Just because someone is a woman doesn't mean they'll want to run.
And, like it or not, name recognition is a big part of getting elected. Can you name many other prominent Democrats who'd be in a position to run in about 18 months / 2 year's time?

Fwiw, I'm not sure she'll want to, she's said many times that she's going to be glad when they add a family leave the White House, so I don't see her clamouring to get back in.
Well, given the calls of sexism are incoming how exactly does another woman win the White House, especially when they're also allegedly racist making it even harder for a black woman?
Big fat NO!

It is nothing against Michelle personally, but one of the lessons that can be drawn from this election is that it is time for fresh faces in politics. America needs someone new...
If she can win the democratic primaries without colluding with the DNC, sure. But without a heavy dose of nepotism.i doubt that's likely.
What experience does she have in politics other than being the First Lady? Isnt this one of the reasons Donald Trump is seen as unqualified?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by honour
The First Lady to Barack Obama is very popular and many think she would be in with a chance of winning the election for the Democrats in 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/09/people-are-asking-michelle-obama-to-run-for-president-in-2020-af/

What do you think?

Yes and No.
She's lovely and she's so eloquent, and probably the best first Lady America has had before.
However, poltiics is a dirty game, and her name would be dragged through the mud, and they'd dig up so much crap to throw at her.

Original post by Drewski
?
Fwiw, I'm not sure she'll want to, she's said many times that she's going to be glad when they add a family leave the White House, so I don't see her clamouring to get back in.

^ This, I don't think she'd want to either, and I totally agree.. She deserves to actually have some rest from being in the limelight!

Original post by Cyclosporin
Big fat NO!
is that it is time for fresh faces in politics. America needs someone new...

I also agree with this ^ A fresh face with fresh ideas is probably what is needed
Wow she is a woman AND BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!

How progressive, for these two reasons alone she should be elected
Joe biden
I completely agree, which is why I think it's completely unlikely without DNC collision or nepotism. If she gets that far, however, the American people have proven they don't give a toss anymore about relevant experience.
No. Mr Blobby should
Reply 12
Michelle won't. But Malia might in due course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by retro_turtles
Joe biden

Why didn't he run?
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Why didn't he run?

I have no idea
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Why didn't he run?

After the death of his son he didn't want to put his family through it.
Original post by Drewski
After the death of his son he didn't want to put his family through it.

Fair enough. He's so much more electable than Clinton though.
Original post by honour

What do you think?

If the US still has elections in 2020 and has not removed anyone who is not blond haired blue eyed and aryan. Then hopefully she will become president in 2020, but things are not looking good. Trump can count on May for support and May can count on Trump for support. Sadly the UK is entwined in an awful tangle with the US and I can't see May supporting Michelle Obama.
It's irrelevant, she and her husband have both said she doesn't want to and will not be running in 2020, or in any election after that.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/16/politics/michelle-obama-president-sxsw/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending