The Student Room Group

Should i open a help to buy ISA?

To buy a house and is it a good idea? I really want a place of my own as living at home makes me feel like a child. I see all my friends progressing in life and i don't wanna be left behind. Is it a good idea?
A help to buy ISA is definitely a good idea - the effective rate of interest is far, far higher than you'd possibly get on cash deposits anywhere else. As you probably know, you can save a maximum of £3K and the government will add 25% of what you've saved as a bonus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
A help to buy ISA is definitely a good idea - the effective rate of interest is far, far higher than you'd possibly get on cash deposits anywhere else. As you probably know, you can save a maximum of £3K and the government will add 25% of what you've saved as a bonus.

Is there just one help to buy with that interest rate or are there some with different interest rates?
Original post by Silver Arrow
Is there just one help to buy with that interest rate or are there some with different interest rates?

The 25% is not interest, it's the government bonus. The accounts also do pay interest, and that varies between different providers - pays to shop around, but 2.5% is available. So you can see how good a savings vehicle this is - you get a normal cash interest rate AND a government bonus.
Original post by Reality Check
The 25% is not interest, it's the government bonus. The accounts also do pay interest, and that varies between different providers - pays to shop around, but 2.5% is available. So you can see how good a savings vehicle this is - you get a normal cash interest rate AND a government bonus.

Ok cos i have an appointment with Natwest tomorrow to open one. What percentage do they give and is there a website that i can compare different rates?
Reply 5
Ok cos i have an appointment with Natwest tomorrow to open one. What percentage do they give and is there a website that i can compare different rates?

Did you have any luck with opening your ISA? It's definitely worth doing and if you can put the £1,000 straight in this month then do it otherwise it will take an additional 5 months to get that in there...! Nothing like a 25% increase in cash even if you do have to use it against a house!
Original post by ben91
Did you have any luck with opening your ISA? It's definitely worth doing and if you can put the £1,000 straight in this month then do it otherwise it will take an additional 5 months to get that in there...! Nothing like a 25% increase in cash even if you do have to use it against a house!

Yes i was able to do so and i put in £1200 as advised by the guy in the bank. Can i keep saving into it forever or does it expire after i reach a certain amount?
Reply 7
Yes i was able to do so and i put in £1200 as advised by the guy in the bank. Can i keep saving into it forever or does it expire after i reach a certain amount?

Definitely worth doing that....! You can now save up to £200 every month until you reach £12,000!! Then so long as you use it as a deposit on a house you will get up to an additional £3000 from the government!
Reply 8
Even with rubbish interest the government dividend makes it better than almost all others.
Well worth converting it to a lifetime ISA when they start next year as well. They will let you save 4k a year and get the bonus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending