The Student Room Group

UCAS Personal Statement

I am well within the limit of characters, 3483, but I have too many lines. Does it matter if I remove paragraphs and put indents in instead? With paragraphs I'm 7 lines over but with indents Im at 43/47
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by not_lucas1
I am well within the limit of characters, 3483, but I have too many lines. Does it matter if I remove paragraphs and put indents in instead? With paragraphs I'm 7 lines over but with indents Im at 43/47

I heard they remove indents. You are within the number of characters - that's great. But it doesn't really make sense to me why you have so many paragraphs. You could probably just put similar stuff into these 4 paragraphs

1) introduction, your reasons for studying and what you've gained from your studying
2) work experience
3) extracurricular activities
4) conclusion

So maybe if you have 3 paragraphs about your extracurricular activities, use link words to link them:

I have done ... this has benefited me... can be related to my course in this way..

It was a great experience also participating in.... bla bla bla

furthermore, I've been involved in some sports....

To:

I have done ... this has benefited me... can be related to my course in this way..bla bla.. I have also participated in this...bla bla bla. Furthermore....

That saves 2 lines.
Reply 2
Original post by not_lucas1

You can't use indents.

Using paragraphs makes it much easier to read, and admissions tutors have to read so many personal statements that you want yours to be as easy as possible. People do get offers with a badly formatted PS, but that doesn't mean a badly formatted PS is good.

You may be able to change a few sentences around and cut down on lines - this is easiest if you have any lines with only one or two words on, but could be done anywhere. You could cut out pointless words like "furthermore" that don't add much to the sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending