The Student Room Group

Paying board

There may have been a thread on this before, but what are peoples thoughts on paying board (or whatever you want to call it) to their parents?
If you are living at home- should you pay it (as long as it is a reasonable amount), or not?
Original post by Emma:-)
There may have been a thread on this before, but what are peoples thoughts on paying board (or whatever you want to call it) to their parents?
If you are living at home- should you pay it (as long as it is a reasonable amount), or not?

Of course I think you should contribute. You're at an age where you're earning money and can help your parents, who, have looked after you a lot and are letting you stay - it's a lot harder moving out.

Maybe think about somewhere from 25%-40% going towards costs like bills and stuff. It's also a good chance for you to budget properly.

That's just my opinion, not knowing much about paying boards.
I think that once you are an adult, your parents don't owe you anything. You shouldn't feel entitled.

If your parents are generous enough to gift you a room to live in rent free, lucky you. There is nothing wrong with accepting it.

If they charge you to live with them, you have a choice to make. Either live with them on their terms or find somewhere else to live.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiritsugu
Of course I think you should contribute. You're at an age where you're earning money and can help your parents, who, have looked after you a lot and are letting you stay - it's a lot harder moving out.

Maybe think about somewhere from 25%-40% going towards costs like bills and stuff. It's also a good chance for you to budget properly.

That's just my opinion, not knowing much about paying boards.

I agree.
Once you are working, earning your own money you should contribute. How much you should contribute depends on the situation/how much you are earning. You are at an age where you should contribute. Its usually a lot cheaper and easier living at home than moving out.
If you are still studying, then it depends on the situation. I worked part time all through 6th form and college (i didnt go to uni), and did more hours in the holidays etc. I paid £10 a week. But everyone/their circumstances are different and not every student is in a position to pay any board.
I agree.
Once you are working, earning your own money you should contribute. How much you should contribute depends on the situation/how much you are earning. You are at an age where you should contribute. Its usually a lot cheaper and easier living at home than moving out.
If you are still studying, then it depends on the situation. I worked part time all through 6th form and college (i didnt go to uni), and did more hours in the holidays etc. I paid £10 a week. But everyone/their circumstances are different and not every student is in a position to pay any board.

Yeah I agree too with what you said and also what someone else said about situations being different, for example, if you're funding your studies or something :smile:

when I was I did pay a decent amount (£500 a month) and yes I'd say the same thing to anyone that it's a good thing (i didn't mention that I was taking home £10k a month before i moved into my own place)
Yes, because it does ease you into the unfortunate concept that housing costs are not 'free' - it's a stepping stone between being a child and not having any financial concerns and being an adult and having to pay a mortgage, council tax, bills etc etc.
Original post by jamesthehustler
when I was I did pay a decent amount (£500 a month) and yes I'd say the same thing to anyone that it's a good thing (i didn't mention that I was taking home £10k a month before i moved into my own place)

I do enjoy reading about your fantasy life.
I'm fortunate I'm working now and living at home rent free- my parents would rather I put my wages towards an eventual housing deposit as its realistically the only way I'll be able to afford to buy somewhere.
Reply 9
I paid £40 per week at my parents when i was working basically full time. That's about £300 less for rent, bills and food than i pay now each month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending