The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke7456
yes my comment about computer science been only 1s and 0s was sarcasm. I even had to say so even though it was obvious.

Maths A level is more work then my entire degree. Seriously. In literal terms it would take more work to get an A or better at maths A level then to get a 2:1 in my degree.

this is what you said. were you being sarcastic here as well?
Original post by john2054
okay business studies then, at degree level takes probably 100 times more work to get a good degree, than to get a maths a level. But i guess you were joking about that as well then?

No I really was not joking about that I was been serious.

You speed read with https://www.amazon.com/Evelyn-Seven-Day-Reading-Learning-Program/dp/1566194024

learn some generic basic concepts, etc. some really basic maths for the statistics module/modules etc and some very basic accounting.

I am sorry if I found it easier then you did, but I can't change that. A lot of people do well on Business type Degrees without much work. especially at weaker universities.

Look if it makes you feel better you probably find it a lot easier to pick up chicks and get girlfriends then I do. for me that might as well be rocket science.

we are not all equal in terms of ability and we all have different talents/skills/abilities.
Maths A level is more work then my entire degree. Seriously. In literal terms it would take more work to get an A or better at maths A level then to get a 2:1 in my degree.

this is what you said. were you being sarcastic here as well?

nope. did you do maths A level?
I see you have a complete lack of ability to pick up on sarcasm or satire even when I have previously stated it is exactly that. I am starting to see why you had to work your ass off for that 2:1.

no I have not studied computer science.

Have you ever studied satire or sarcasm?

Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh, because your post was really sarcastic...

okay business studies then, at degree level takes probably 100 times more work to get a good degree, than to get a maths a level. But i guess you were joking about that as well then?

Actually to get a 2.1 at any university, probably takes something like 10'000 times more the work to get maths a level you do realise. After all, if computer science is just 0s and 1s, maths is just numbers isn't it?

Actually i am confident that in many business studies degrees will actually have some computer science units in as well?!
No I really was not joking about that I was been serious.

You speed read with https://www.amazon.com/Evelyn-Seven-Day-Reading-Learning-Program/dp/1566194024

learn some generic basic concepts, etc. some really basic maths for the statistics module/modules etc and some very basic accounting.

I am sorry if I found it easier then you did, but I can't change that. A lot of people do well on Business type Degrees without much work. especially at weaker universities.

Look if it makes you feel better you probably find it a lot easier to pick up chicks and get girlfriends then I do. for me that might as well be rocket science.

we are not all equal in terms of ability and we all have different talents/skills/abilities.

university makes a man. as anyone who has actually spent the time to read a degree knows. you probably failed maths gcse at school, whereas i got an a star. the reason why i chose to switch to humanities, was because i wanted to broaden my horizon if anything.

You haven't got a business studies degree, which is just as hard as a computer science or maths degree for that matter. To be honest with you, you may have a point about the harder unis being better, and more respected, but you really aren't doing the team any favours if you can't verify your degree. One of the first things you learn as an undergraduate, is to provide evidence. The fact that you cannot, is a tell im afraid.
Actually to get a 2.1 at any university, probably takes something like 10'000 times more the work to get maths a level you do realise. After all, if computer science is just 0s and 1s, maths is just numbers isn't it?

Actually i am confident that in many business studies degrees will actually have some computer science units in as well?!

Mine didn't we did Macros in Excel that was about as much computer sciencey as it got. Maybe other courses did I don't know.

Maths A level depending your ability it is said, would take between 300-700 hours plus.

I worked it out and come to 364 hours a year including privet study +lecture time+seminars.

Maths A level and further maths goes between 600-1400 hours. 3*364=1092.

Okay so it is relatively close maybe the Degree just edges out slightly more work. Just. but then i didn't always pay attention in lectures so meh.

I guess since I am trying to do maths and further maths within a year it seems a lot more. so i concede its about the same.

10,000 times huh? so it takes at best 10,000*300 to get a 2:1? you do realize that is 3 million hours right?

their is only 8766 hours in a year (365.25*24 Leap year etc)

so it took you more then 342 years to get your degree?

I didn't even know they did Business degrees before the 1800s meh you learn new things every day.
Mine didn't we did Macros in Excel that was about as much computer sciencey as it got. Maybe other courses did I don't know.

Maths A level depending your ability it is said, would take between 300-700 hours plus.

I worked it out and come to 364 hours a year including privet study +lecture time+seminars.

Maths A level and further maths goes between 600-1400 hours. 3*364=1092.

Okay so it is relatively close maybe the Degree just edges out slightly more work. Just. but then i didn't always pay attention in lectures so meh.

I guess since I am trying to do maths and further maths within a year it seems a lot more. so i concede its about the same.

10,000 times huh? so it takes at best 10,000*300 to get a 2:1? you do realize that is 3 million hours right?

their is only 8766 hours in a year (365.25*24 Leap year etc)

so it took you more then 342 years to get your degree?

I didn't even know they did Business degrees before the 1800s meh you learn new things every day.

no i'm not talking about the time it takes, but the quality of the work required. a level is at level 3. bachelors degree is at levels 4, 5 and then 6 in the third year. a levels you are taught the answers. degree level you have to work them out yourself. granted some students do cheat at degree level, it is possible to get people to write you essays and power points for you, and the get around it like that. i guess this is what you must mean?
Original post by #ChaosKass
For a Masters/PhD, of course - if you have to decide between someone from Cambridge and someone from (say) Lancaster, you're not going to give it to the person from Lancaster, are you?

For a job, however, it's work experience/extra curriculars that are the most important.

aight listen up yall, if none of yall went cambridge, you aint getting a job. you be living on the streets
I went to Southampton and I'm literally eating out of dumpsters
Original post by sfaraj
aight listen up yall, if none of yall went cambridge, you aint getting a job. you be living on the streets

A "poorer" uni can still find you a job, but it'll probably take more time and with a lower starting salary.
no i'm not talking about the time it takes, but the quality of the work required. a level is at level 3. bachelors degree is at levels 4, 5 and then 6 in the third year. a levels you are taught the answers. degree level you have to work them out yourself. granted some students do cheat at degree level, it is possible to get people to write you essays and power points for you, and the get around it like that. i guess this is what you must mean?

nope. no one wrote my essays or did any of my work for me unless you count group work. actually at A level maths you have to work it out yourself, your taught general methodologies and theorems but often questions on exam papers are not worded in the same way as you find in your text books.

not really true for degree anyway. I just did not find it a hard degree.

Look ignore me personally from this I am just a random person on the internet to you. Think it through logically.

To get into Oxbridge university you need A*A*A plus entrance exams which are meant to be very difficult. to get into some of the weakest universities you need CCE.

Oxbridge do not accept general studies weaker universities do. You can get good grades in general studies without even revising or studying for it. the university that asks for CCE is likely to accept CDD and the C can be in general studies. so realistically you need DD to get in.

now a student who gets DD at A level compared to one that got A*A*A + entrance exams etc. Clearly their is a reason for the disparity in performance. It could be due to lack of effort it could be due to lack of ability. in rare cases their may be significant mitigating factors.

However as a general rule weaker grades means worse ability or worse effort. So been the one who prepares the course for these students would you make it as hard as Oxbirdge? I would have to assume not because if you did knowing your students either do not work as hard or are not as bright, as Oxbridge guess what Most if not all of them are going to fail.

so you have to make it easier or less work involved. You claim you got an A* at maths GCSE I am going to take your word for that. do you assume that the students who sat foundation paper GCSE maths and attained a grade D worked just as hard as you did and were just as able in the subject as you?

Seriously?

so lets assume that for whatever reason someone who is of Oxbridge ability goes to a sub par poly technic university, if they can attain a 2:1/first at Oxbridge with say 50 hours a week, do you reckon it would still require 50 hours a week of work at the polytechnic?

I don't I believe they would breeze by the course.

How many hours do you reckon it would take you to get laid? assuming for the sake of this question you do not have a girlfriend. You have to go to a random city where you do not know anyone talk to get to know a girl and get her to sleep with you?

assuming you are of average or better social skills then myself I assume you would achieve this with a lot less effort and time then I would.

I am significantly above average intelligence, I can achieve more intellectually with less time and effort, than the average person can.

I Struggle to see why this is such a hard concept to grasp.
Original post by jneill
rubbish.

love this.x
nope. no one wrote my essays or did any of my work for me unless you count group work. actually at A level maths you have to work it out yourself, your taught general methodologies and theorems but often questions on exam papers are not worded in the same way as you find in your text books.

not really true for degree anyway. I just did not find it a hard degree.

Look ignore me personally from this I am just a random person on the internet to you. Think it through logically.

To get into Oxbridge university you need A*A*A plus entrance exams which are meant to be very difficult. to get into some of the weakest universities you need CCE.

Oxbridge do not accept general studies weaker universities do. You can get good grades in general studies without even revising or studying for it. the university that asks for CCE is likely to accept CDD and the C can be in general studies. so realistically you need DD to get in.

now a student who gets DD at A level compared to one that got A*A*A + entrance exams etc. Clearly their is a reason for the disparity in performance. It could be due to lack of effort it could be due to lack of ability. in rare cases their may be significant mitigating factors.

However as a general rule weaker grades means worse ability or worse effort. So been the one who prepares the course for these students would you make it as hard as Oxbirdge? I would have to assume not because if you did knowing your students either do not work as hard or are not as bright, as Oxbridge guess what Most if not all of them are going to fail.

so you have to make it easier or less work involved. You claim you got an A* at maths GCSE I am going to take your word for that. do you assume that the students who sat foundation paper GCSE maths and attained a grade D worked just as hard as you did and were just as able in the subject as you?

Seriously?

so lets assume that for whatever reason someone who is of Oxbridge ability goes to a sub par poly technic university, if they can attain a 2:1/first at Oxbridge with say 50 hours a week, do you reckon it would still require 50 hours a week of work at the polytechnic?

I don't I believe they would breeze by the course.

How many hours do you reckon it would take you to get laid? assuming for the sake of this question you do not have a girlfriend. You have to go to a random city where you do not know anyone talk to get to know a girl and get her to sleep with you?

assuming you are of average or better social skills then myself I assume you would achieve this with a lot less effort and time then I would.

I am significantly above average intelligence, I can achieve more intellectually with less time and effort, than the average person can.

I Struggle to see why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

please stop calling the ex polys sub par, i went to one and it is a great uni. i find this use of language very offensive!
please stop calling the ex polys sub par, i went to one and it is a great uni. i find this use of language very offensive!

Okay well depends on the ex Poly I think Bath is an ex Poly and it actually has harder degree programs then most of the Russel group. Their are a few other ex ploy universities like this.

However as a generic rule Poly's are weaker courses then their Russel group counter parts.

Maybe you went to one of the stronger Poly's then?
Okay well depends on the ex Poly I think Bath is an ex Poly and it actually has harder degree programs then most of the Russel group. Their are a few other ex ploy universities like this.

However as a generic rule Poly's are weaker courses then their Russel group counter parts.

Maybe you went to one of the stronger Poly's then?

do you even know how undergraduate marking standardisation works?
do you even know how undergraduate marking standardisation works?

are you going to tell me all degrees are just as hard?

I will be honest I looked at what was required for certain grades at university on the guidance sheets we were given. However I am not an expert on undergraduate marking standardization.

I remain highly skeptical that the exams are going to be of equal difficulty.

are you going to tell me that getting a 2:1 at Oxbridge is as difficult as getting a 2:1 at London met???
are you going to tell me all degrees are just as hard?

I will be honest I looked at what was required for certain grades at university on the guidance sheets we were given. However I am not an expert on undergraduate marking standardization.

I remain highly skeptical that the exams are going to be of equal difficulty.

are you going to tell me that getting a 2:1 at Oxbridge is as difficult as getting a 2:1 at London met???

who knows? What i do know is that you don't have a degree , thanks
Please chill out guys………:redface:
Original post by iEthan
Please chill out guys………:redface:

this guy is blatantly a troll. just saying
this guy is blatantly a troll. just saying

…and if that is so, why are you wasting hours replying to them……..? :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending