The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing - Undergraduate v Accelerated

I've recently graduated with a psychology degree and now looking to go back to university and study mental health nursing. I've seen that instead of the undergraduate nursing degree you can do an accelerated course or postgraduate diploma in nursing (if you have a relevant degree). I was wondering what difference is the accelerated courses compared to the undergrad course? And what advantage does it gain - is it worth doing the accelerated course?

Any experiences that you have or anything that will help will be appreciated!! :smile:
As far as I know, you can't get a student maintenance loan if you do an accelerated course - so unless you have the means to pay for your accommodation and living costs, I would do the undergraduate option - even if it takes a little longer.
For most uni's you need to have 575-650 hours of clinical experience. You will also be writing at Level 6 for the first year and Level 7 for the second year. The BSc option is Level 4, then 5 then 6 in the final year.
Original post by carawillie
I've recently graduated with a psychology degree and now looking to go back to university and study mental health nursing. I've seen that instead of the undergraduate nursing degree you can do an accelerated course or postgraduate diploma in nursing (if you have a relevant degree). I was wondering what difference is the accelerated courses compared to the undergrad course? And what advantage does it gain - is it worth doing the accelerated course?

Any experiences that you have or anything that will help will be appreciated!! :smile:

Moved to the Nursing and Midwifery area :smile:

As has been said above, you will need to check the requirements of clinical hours. In order to be registered with the NMC you need 2300 hours of practice and 2300 of theory, which is a tight squeeze in three years, so impossible in two.

The only benefit is having to spend only two years at uni. You will come out with the same NMC registration as any other nursing student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending