The Student Room Group

If you could live in another country, where would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I'd go to New Zealand, it's like a whole country of British countryside! The accent is cute, too.
Original post by 1234moon
Loooooool that's all you need, right? :rofl:

I'd go Canada. It is beautiful and the guys are just perfect ngl....

Yes of course my life is complete then!! nah I'm just kidding but it would be like a completely different experience on literally the other end of the globe so i'd just find it interesting I suppose :smile: Australian people which I know have just been nice in general so that helps too lool :u:
This thread makes me lol.

Apart from a small number of answers for France, almost no one says they'd like to live in another EU state - which would seem to suggest, on this unscientific example, that many students don't give a hoot about living in the EU (but do want to live in Australia, Canada and the US).

But the largest number of people crying about how their lives would be ruined by Brexit curtailing their life choices to live and work in the EU.....were students.

Also the irony that for most people - Canada, the US and Australia are the countries least likely to let them come and stay.
Canada or a Nordic country. :yep:
Original post by yudothis
This threads is about which country you would live in...

Yes. And I wouldn't live in Switzerland because it is culturally and institutionally a racist nation. Something which you cannot bring yourself to say; even though you have set out your stall on several occasions as someone "who calls out racism".

This sounds to me very much like Chakrabartism. You prosecute with all your might the bigotry that you don't like; and awkwardly look away from that which you do.

On point : The Swiss have a track record of racist policies and voting in very large numbers for ultra nationalist parties- the most in Europe. Why would anyone here want to go and live there? To live in a "whiter" society?
Short term probably somewhere warm and nice like Mexico or Barbados. Or somewhere with a culture I like Eg America.

However Long term I believe the west is doomed, and smaller less able to defend themselves states will fall victim to the western world, Whilst I have Hope in Trump with everything that is against him I am not sure he can save us. I believe if anyone can he can but still its a massive challenge. Ultimately the biggest hope for the world is China. So probs long term China.

Though I really think its likely game over and we will go into a second dark ages to which we will never ever emerge from. until eventually a comet wipes us out entirely as a species and hopefully some other species maybe Crows? could in time evolve and grow in intelligence to take our place.
Original post by Trinculo
Yes. And I wouldn't live in Switzerland because it is culturally and institutionally a racist nation. Something which you cannot bring yourself to say; even though you have set out your stall on several occasions as someone "who calls out racism".

This sounds to me very much like Chakrabartism. You prosecute with all your might the bigotry that you don't like; and awkwardly look away from that which you do.

On point : The Swiss have a track record of racist policies and voting in very large numbers for ultra nationalist parties- the most in Europe. Why would anyone here want to go and live there? To live in a "whiter" society?

Suit yourself. I have told you why your examples aren't racist and that living here compared to living in the UK is a much less racist experience.

But believe what you want to believe.
I would like to travel extensively but I'd have to say I think the UK will always be home.
New Zealand!
They get free full body massages!

(Too soon?)
Reply 169
Original post by UWS
If you were given the chance to live in another country, where would it be?

And why? Discuss.

I would pick Australia, why? Strange things happen there...

P.S. I expect puns.

I'd go for New Zealand, in spite of the earthquakes . . .
USA or Japan

America is a nice place with big houses, and I like the concept of the ‘American Dream’
Japan seems like a sound country in general ngl
Original post by MdE77
I'd go for New Zealand, in spite of the earthquakes . . .

No Australia because of roos?
Reply 172
Original post by acupofgreentea
Canada or a Nordic country. :yep:

Nordic countries are cool

See what I did there?

Original post by ward47
I would like to travel extensively but I'd have to say I think the UK will always be home.

I agree.

Original post by frankielogue
USA or Japan

America is a nice place with big houses, and I like the concept of the ‘American Dream’
Japan seems like a sound country in general ngl

Sushi :mmm:
Original post by AperfectBalance
America.

Better gun laws.

More things to do

More opportunities for my line of work

Would like a bigger house.

Although I would leave it for about a month or so, as everything will hopefully blow over (Riots and election stuff)

How do they have better gun laws when ANYBODY, including mentally ill people have access to guns with potentially lethal consequences?

And whoever repped you must have serious issues.
Original post by parsn1p
How do they have better gun laws when ANYBODY, including mentally ill people have access to guns with potentially lethal consequences?

And whoever repped you must have serious issues.

I have already justified myself, read the other posts I made.
Switzerland
Probably Hong Kong, China. It's an amazing city.
Oh, and to answer the question, North Korea. Then I would appreciate a lot more the freedom we have in this country.
Reply 178
Original post by parsn1p
Oh, and to answer the question, North Korea. Then I would appreciate a lot more the freedom we have in this country.

Hope you like freedom.
Original post by UWS
Nordic countries are cool

See what I did there?

I do. :teehee:

Pun appreciated, as puns always should be. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest