The Student Room Group

Access Courses

Hi all

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I've been reading posts about access courses on here and it's making me quite nervous.

I am planning to start an access to nursing course in September and I need 45 credits at distinction and merit. I've read some posts saying this is incredibly hard. I am currently at university doing foundation year psychology but I've realised the course isn't for me. I only got one a level so my only choice is the access course.

Is anyone on here just completed or close to completing the course? If so how did you find it. I 100% know it's a lot of hard work and dedication and I'm fully prepared to give that. Am I just over thinking and worrying?

Thank you
Original post by jalana
Hi all

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I've been reading posts about access courses on here and it's making me quite nervous.

I am planning to start an access to nursing course in September and I need 45 credits at distinction and merit. I've read some posts saying this is incredibly hard. I am currently at university doing foundation year psychology but I've realised the course isn't for me. I only got one a level so my only choice is the access course.

Is anyone on here just completed or close to completing the course? If so how did you find it. I 100% know it's a lot of hard work and dedication and I'm fully prepared to give that. Am I just over thinking and worrying?

Thank you

I did an access course and am currently in the middle of my second year of uni. What I would say about the access course is that the content itself isn't that hard, it's the pace at which you're expected to learn and complete work that is the most difficult part. As long as you're organised and disciplined you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 2
Thank you, I have previously done an NVQ Level 3 and I'm hoping the access course to be slightly similar in terms of grading :smile:
I started an access course in January 2016 and will be finishing in a few weeks time. I wouldn't say the work itself has been overly challenging but there has been times where we have had 3/4 assignments all due in around the same time. As long as you organise your time well you will be fine. I was worried about not getting the grades I needed for any university but I currently have 30/30 distinctions and have 15 credits left to receive before I leave. It definitely can be done :smile: good luck x
I'm doing a Computing and ICT access course and I would say that if it's a subject you already have knowledge of, or find interesting enough that researching the topics is enjoyable then high grades are entirely practical to achieve.

On my course, most people are missing criteria for merits and distinctions by not considering the grade descriptors on the assignments carefully. For example:

Grade Descriptor: 1 Understanding of the subject

For a Merit your work or performance must:

Demonstrate a good understanding of all the points indicated, exhibit additional research and formulate relevant conclusions.

For a Distinction your work or performance must:

Show that you are fully aware of the current and latest developments in the subject, this should be supported with real life examples which have been referenced.

People are only achieving passes by meeting the criteria of the task such as on one assignment we had to explain what a CPU is. You can meet criteria and pass by pretty much rewording a wikipedia definition. Just don't do like some students and forgot to make sure your font is consistent throughout the document.

For a merit you need to back up that definition with some analysis that proves you understand your definition. And here the plagiarism checks will catch you if you aren't crafting your own insights.

And just a little extra work with a citation that demonstrates an awareness of the latest trends gets you a distinction.

But people on my course are just answering the tasks. They're not reviewing their work to consider if it checks the criteria for the higher grades even if the fundamentals of their work is good.

On a subject you find interesting, providing you have the time to commit the 20-50 hours each assignment realistically needs and you always consider the grade descriptors before you consider your work finished, there's no reason not to achieve a distinction on an assignment providing you are capable of understanding it.
Reply 5
I am currently doing an access course in human biology and psychology, I'm finishing the first term next week. So far I haven't found the content particularly difficult, but the pace of the course can be a challenge! I know there are other colleges that have more contact hours than what we do (we have 6 hours a week) but I think overall access courses are very demanding so you need to be prepared for hard work. You are given multiple assignments to complete that need to be in at the same time so it's quite a juggling act sometimes, but if you manage your time effectively then it shouldn't be too difficult! Good luck!
45 credits at merit/distinction in an Access course is significantly easier than trying to get A*/A*/A at A level, so it's all relative. An access course is usually quite simplified, so it's a case of keeping up with the work rather than any particularly stretching topics. Yes, there will be times when there are several essays or other assessed pieces of work due in at the same time, but this will be the case throughout any subsequent degree course and, indeed job where multitasking would be expected.

I'm sure you'll be fine with it.
Original post by Reality Check
45 credits at merit/distinction in an Access course is significantly easier than trying to get A*/A*/A at A level, so it's all relative. An access course is usually quite simplified, so it's a case of keeping up with the work rather than any particularly stretching topics. Yes, there will be times when there are several essays or other assessed pieces of work due in at the same time, but this will be the case throughout any subsequent degree course and, indeed job where multitasking would be expected.

I'm sure you'll be fine with it.

I'd say the amount of time you spend on an assignment, and the quality of knowledge you need on a topic for a written Access course assignment vs the time spent revising and the subject knowledge you need for A level exams is equal. But certain types of people will find the written assignment format more comfortable to work with than exam preparation.

I know from past experience I tend to procrastinate on exam revision, show up and grab a B rather than put the work in required for an A/A*. With an assignment though you can't not spend the time doing it, you just have no choice. And once I'm actually on task I'll more happily put the extra work in on research and quality to achieve a distinction than I would put in the extra revision needed to high exam grades.

The work isn't easier or less time consuming than the revision/exam way of being assessed, it just better fits certain types of people.

But it's a weakness that you need to overcome for university exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending