The Student Room Group

do unis ask about unfinished courses?

do they? and do they care?
as in college courses….
(edited 8 months ago)
I mean you have to declare them so they will be aware of them from your UCAS application. I think in most cases they aren't likely to ask you why you stopped studying a given course. If there were specific extenuating circumstances around why you had to withdraw from the course I think that would normally be something for your academic referee to note in their reference.
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean you have to declare them so they will be aware of them from your UCAS application. I think in most cases they aren't likely to ask you why you stopped studying a given course. If there were specific extenuating circumstances around why you had to withdraw from the course I think that would normally be something for your academic referee to note in their reference.

oh okay that makes sense. i do have extenuating circumstances but if i dropped out of a level 3 health and social care course from september -december for mental health reasons and then decided to study a-levels at home in January thinking it would be better for me for my mental health but have been given an offer for an access course to get into a healthcare course would they care that my courses are all similar?
i haven’t made the decision yet of staying on with mg A-Levels (finishing 2025) or accepting the Access course and getting into Uni sooner and get to meet people my age at college and i’m mentally better and prepared.
i fear of being seen as a drop out…
:smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by alevelstudent090
oh okay that makes sense. i do have extenuating circumstances but if i dropped out of a level 3 health and social care course from september -december for mental health reasons and then decided to study a-levels at home in January thinking it would be better for me for my mental health but have been given an offer for an access course to get into a healthcare course would they care that my courses are all similar?
i haven’t made the decision yet of staying on with mg A-Levels (finishing 2025) or accepting the Access course and getting into Uni sooner and get to meet people my age at college and i’m mentally better and prepared.
i fear of being seen as a drop out…
:smile:

Not necessarily, worth highlighting for your referee so they can add and relevant context to your academic reference.
Original post by artful_lounger
Not necessarily, worth highlighting for your referee so they can add and relevant context to your academic reference.

okay cool sounds great! would the referee be the teacher?
how does applications to uni work with an Access course? do you apply in January like other A-Level students?
the Access course hasn’t accepted me yet, they’re deciding on the fact i have been in education within this year as they state that i have to be a year out of education but i explained to them with my circumstances.
but they did say i could be studying with them this year which is good news.
what option do you think i should take?
because i think studying A-Levels is probably seem better as 1. i haven’t dropped out of the A-Levels 2. I pay monthly for oxbridge home learning but haven’t paid for exams yet as they’re next year (so an Access course would be cheaper but the money I’ve paid is a lot but whatever is best for me is best)
however, there are some cons, for example, it will take a year longer and i could flop my exams as i don’t perform as well in exams but then i could practice or try my best with extra time and the access course prepares you more for the certain career (access to nursing) whereas my -a-levels psychology, sociology and religious studies are more science/essay-based.
but Unis may reject me from swapping courses and may favour the a-levels rather than an access course.
what should i do? i have to decide today when they phone me im in a pickle.
Original post by alevelstudent090
okay cool sounds great! would the referee be the teacher?
how does applications to uni work with an Access course? do you apply in January like other A-Level students?
the Access course hasn’t accepted me yet, they’re deciding on the fact i have been in education within this year as they state that i have to be a year out of education but i explained to them with my circumstances.
but they did say i could be studying with them this year which is good news.
what option do you think i should take?
because i think studying A-Levels is probably seem better as 1. i haven’t dropped out of the A-Levels 2. I pay monthly for oxbridge home learning but haven’t paid for exams yet as they’re next year (so an Access course would be cheaper but the money I’ve paid is a lot but whatever is best for me is best)
however, there are some cons, for example, it will take a year longer and i could flop my exams as i don’t perform as well in exams but then i could practice or try my best with extra time and the access course prepares you more for the certain career (access to nursing) whereas my -a-levels psychology, sociology and religious studies are more science/essay-based.
but Unis may reject me from swapping courses and may favour the a-levels rather than an access course.
what should i do? i have to decide today when they phone me im in a pickle.

Your academic referee is usually whoever is best placed to provide a reference based on your academic performance - UCAS provides guidance on this for those applying independently (i.e. not through their school buzzword) on their website. Schools often have a centralised staff member providing references based on feedback from all your teachers for A-level students, for an Access course it might be you have a personal tutor or course coordinator who would provide it, or it might be from an individual teacher/lecturer. I did a CertHE and had a lecturer provide my reference when I applied recently, as that lecturer was one I did half my credits on the course with so they knew me academically quite well.

In terms of application timeline/deadlines etc, this is the same for everyone regardless of what course of study you are doing.

I think as long as you successfully complete whatever your qualification you are aiming for in the usual timeframe for doing that (e.g. Access courses are normally one year courses, so doing it in one year; A-levels are normally 2 year courses so doing it in 2 years, etc) should suffice for them.

Regarding A-levels vs Access to HE courses, while it's true A-levels you generally know will be accepted, most Access courses are accepted by most unis for corresponding courses. There are some courses/unis which are more specific and only accept some access courses or only for some courses - for example Cambridge normally accepts them just for "arts" courses, and science courses they often require additional qualifications in order to meet the subject requirements. Similarly, many medicine courses will only accept specific Access to Medicine courses from specific providers that they know meets their requirements.

If you are unsure if the Access course under consideration will be accepted, I would recommend checking the uni webpages to see, and if it's unclear then getting in touch with the unis you wnat to apply to in order to check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending