The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dev3389
A100. Kings basically are snakes. Ring them many times beforehand they clarified that for grads they only look at ukcat and degree prediction alongside personal statement. Asking for feedback they said my ukcat wasnt high enough alongside having a weak application. When a few friends of mine got an interview with 675ish ukcats and 2:1 predictions, which is lower than mine. Not being bitter but am fully baffled.

I feel your frustration dude! Doesn't really makes sense. Seems like they may place A LOT of emphasis on PS, maybe work experience and reference too? Another grad with a UKCAT in the 700s and 2:1 also got rejected. Having looked at their freedom of information page for previous years, the grads they invited/rejected were quite varied. Some had average UKCATs some had highs etc. But they were disproportionate I.e they rejected a few 1st class high UKCATs yet accepted some average UKCAT 2:1s. There was no pattern so there must be variables like PS/Reference and work experience that account for whether they consider you for interview. It's seeming like they're placing more emphasis on the variables than they make out to be. They say academic requirements and UKCAT are most important but having seen things it looks like all factors are placed with equal weighting, hence why they use the term 'hollistic' approach. But I'm not too sure how it all works :frown: I have the exact same score as you with an achieved 2:1 so it's putting me on the fence atm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmaduM
I feel your frustration dude! Doesn't really makes sense. Seems like they may place A LOT of emphasis on PS, maybe work experience and reference too? Another grad with a UKCAT in the 700s and 2:1 also got rejected. Having looked at their freedom of information page for previous years, the grads they invited/rejected were quite varied. Some had average UKCATs some had highs etc. But they were disproportionate I.e they rejected a few 1st class high UKCATs yet accepted some average UKCAT 2:1s. There was no pattern so there must be variables like PS/Reference and work experience that account for whether they consider you for interview. It's seeming like they're placing more emphasis on the variables than they make out to be. They say academic requirements and UKCAT are most important but having seen things it looks like all factors are placed with equal weighting, hence why they use the term 'hollistic' approach. But I'm not too sure how it all works :frown: I have the exact same score as you with an achieved 2:1 so it's putting me on the fence atm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having a high ukcat or degree/a level isn't the only requirement of kings which is why some people who are obviously strong academically can still be rejected. They look for extra curricular, volunteering and work experience and those things are on their website page as very desirable. If those things aren't explicitly clear from your personal statement then they might reject you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dev3389
A100. Kings basically are snakes. Ring them many times beforehand they clarified that for grads they only look at ukcat and degree prediction alongside personal statement. Asking for feedback they said my ukcat wasnt high enough alongside having a weak application. When a few friends of mine got an interview with 675ish ukcats and 2:1 predictions, which is lower than mine. Not being bitter but am fully baffled.

Don't understand how you got rejected, they're reasoning is pretty weak. unfortunately the whole process is totally flawed. Good luck with the rest of your application to other unis :smile:
Reply 1323
I don't understand the way how kcl is giving interviews, it is driving me mad lol
Original post by Pantego
Having a high ukcat or degree/a level isn't the only requirement of kings which is why some people who are obviously strong academically can still be rejected. They look for extra curricular, volunteering and work experience and those things are on their website page as very desirable. If those things aren't explicitly clear from your personal statement then they might reject you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes sense. I thought so. It's just that I remember on their open day they did say they take a holistic approach but place importance on UKCAT and academics. I suppose that's the reason why applicants prioritize those aspects and may not pay as much attention as required to the extra curricula, work experience etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11...
I don't understand the way how kcl is giving interviews, it is driving me mad lol

Where else have you applied?
Original post by Pantego

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I totally agree with you, and if they said that to me in my feedback email I would have said fair enough, however they specifically pointed out my ukcat which is why I am quite annoyed. However Manchester offered me an interview, and they rank you on your non-academic form on their website which is basically an extension of your personal statement so I thought personal statement wise I was covered... tbh its so much about the actual rejection its the way they reasoned it and how it contradicted with what they told us grads before we applied and I think for future applicants if they continue to do this its unfair
Original post by AmaduM
That makes sense. I thought so. It's just that I remember on their open day they did say they take a holistic approach but place importance on UKCAT and academics. I suppose that's the reason why applicants prioritize those aspects and may not pay as much attention as required to the extra curricula, work experience etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

see my reply to pantego, summarises my frustrations
Original post by Dev3389

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Hmm, that is quite unfair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11...

Have you heard any news from Kings?
Original post by Dev3389

For grads I have a feeling they are going by achieved grades and not predicted... as in they score you higher if you have achieved it...
Original post by ASTK98
Cheers, you too. Jheez, 3rd time applying? Hopefully you're a bit luckier this time round. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry mate. Can I ask what your UKCAT/GCSEs were?
Original post by Lostperson
For grads I have a feeling they are going by achieved grades and not predicted... as in they score you higher if you have achieved it...

Maybe, but he also said he had friends with invites with only predicted 2:1s too and lower UKCAT. so predicted/achieved may not make too much of an impact
Original post by AmaduM
Maybe, but he also said he had friends with invites with only predicted 2:1s too and lower UKCAT. so predicted/achieved may not make too much of an impact

Yeh I guess? Also I'm worried that on my portal it said I submitted my app on the 17th not 15th... does anyone else's say that? I have 700, 2:1, MSc.... still waiting
Yeh I guess? Also I'm worried that on my portal it said I submitted my app on the 17th not 15th... does anyone else's say that? I have 700, 2:1, MSc.... still waiting

I think it's the date when Kings actually entered/processed your details from UCAS to the portal. As long as you submitted it before 23:59 15th Oct it's fine. I submitted mine on the 12th to UCAS and Kings wrote they received 13th. I think you'd be fine :smile:
Reply 1335

Mine says that too! I got a bit worried at first but then I know I definitely submitted it by the 15th, so I assumed it must just be when it reached them or something, as 15th was a Saturday
Original post by Kittt
Mine says that too! I got a bit worried at first but then I know I definitely submitted it by the 15th, so I assumed it must just be when it reached them or something, as 15th was a Saturday

ah yeh.. that makes sense :smile: I'm so sick of waiting...
Reply 1337
Interview for A102!

Still haven't got the email so it's worth checking portal just in case! :smile:
Original post by Kittt
Interview for A102!

Still haven't got the email so it's worth checking portal just in case! :smile:

Congrats! When's your interview for or do you get to choose?
Reply 1339
Original post by Happyals
Congrats! When's your interview for or do you get to choose?

Thank you! :smile: Nope don't get a choice, although there is an option to reschedule but they recommend that you try to attend the given date. My interview is on 24th Jan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending