The Student Room Group

Why are people materialistic ?

I understand you need money to live etc. However you dont need money to be happy and in life your goal should be to be happy. I mean money isnt everything and you dont need money to have a good laugh. What I enjoy is spending time with my family and friends because it a good social time.

However so many people are in to the flashy car and clothes, it doesnt really matter what you wear or drive its how the person actually is inside and how they interact with you.

I know people who work so much overtime neglecting time for the family and friends, im like why ? I couldnt do that. People are sometimes fighting with their own family over money. Its just disgusting.

Why do you think people are materialistic ?
Sustenance. Some people take it too far though.

In indigenous societies most of the time was spent hunting for food, it required a lot of skill, people valued their locality and tribe a lot more as they worked directly on the land itself.

In modern societies, people are alienated from their work, families and the land itself, the result of course is abundance of food, but now that we all have food we've displaced that desire onto something else. Our societies teach us to value wealth, power, and those things.
Money to an extent is great. As long as its in moderation, you can live a fulfilling life.
But some people base their happiness on money etc or become greedy or obsessed with it... maybe it stems from them thinking let's save as much as possible right now for a brighter future -then it never stops? :dontknow:
I don't think it's just because they believe those things in and of themselves will make them happy, but what it's associated with; image.

Most people I know that are very materialistic is because they feel they have something to prove to the people around them; they want to show that they're hard working, successful and have a good life. It's the reason why someone pays 10x the price for something with a brand name when you can get similar quality items much cheaper. They need people to see what they've accomplished, and this gives them a sense of worth.

After a while I'm sure they realise that that was not the answer to their problems, in reality they just had a lack of self worth/self esteem, and so needed external praises, validations and affirmations to temporarily and superficially fill that void.

Most people don't look inwards for anything, when most things come from within; at least, if you want it to be long lasting.

I think that if someone works on being the best version of themselves that they can - whether mentally, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually or physically - and is constantly working towards self improvement, they will be confident, self sufficient people, without a whole load of self esteem issues which we are all plagued with.
Because sometimes the environment that people come from means that to them, the more money they have, the more luxurious the lifestyle and therefore, less stress and less money worries.

Also, sometimes materialistic things like nice holidays with your family and being able to go out for meals with your friends do make people happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Because sometimes the environment that people come from means that to them, the more money they have, the more luxurious the lifestyle and therefore, less stress and less money worries.

Also, sometimes materialistic things like nice holidays with your family and being able to go out for meals with your friends do make people happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think OP is referring to when it gets to extreme levels. And yeah you've got a point, I think fear of poverty is a major factor too.
Reply 6
Original post by LauraMayden1
I don't think it's just because they believe those things in and of themselves will make them happy, but what it's associated with; image.

Most people I know that are very materialistic is because they feel they have something to prove to the people around them; they want to show that they're hard working, successful and have a good life. It's the reason why someone pays 10x the price for something with a brand name when you can get similar quality items much cheaper. They need people to see what they've accomplished, and this gives them a sense of worth.

After a while I'm sure they realise that that was not the answer to their problems, in reality they just had a lack of self worth/self esteem, and so needed external praises, validations and affirmations to temporarily and superficially fill that void.

It probably gives them a sense of worth but I dont bat an eyelid. Wearing flashy clothes what does it actually matter.

And hey hows it going long time, remember me ?
It's the pressures of society. As an adult, your worth is literally judged by your bank balance and assets.
Reply 8
Original post by nomophobia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but realistically the more money you have the more problem, whether the money is attained through loans or work, to have a very good amount of money you will need a big role like a manager therby creating more stress.

But you dont need lots of £££ for a nice meal out.
Reply 9
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's the pressures of society. As an adult, your worth is literally judged by your bank balance and assets.

Not to the good people though. Your partner wouldnt judge you on that. Well she shouldnt anyway.
Original post by redleader1
Not to the good people though. Your partner wouldnt judge you on that. Well she shouldnt anyway.

Correct, but as far as society in general goes, it's 100% the case, and we all at least subconsciously realise it. Some people don't give a f*** and are happy with what they've got, but you'll find that the majority of young people are very career-conscious in this day and age all because of the pressure to have a respectable career and therefore rise up the social ladder, so to speak.
It's human instinct to hoard for the winter to prevent starvation/malnutrition. This has transformed into materialism.
It probably gives them a sense of worth but I dont bat an eyelid. Wearing flashy clothes what does it actually matter.

And hey hows it going long time, remember me ?

Yeah but the majority do. There will always be exceptions, but us humans usually like to go with whatever the majority are going with.

And I do indeed, it's all good. How are you? It's nice to see some older users still on here.
Original post by LauraMayden1
Yeah but the majority do. There will always be exceptions, but us humans usually like to go with whatever the majority are going with.

And I do indeed, it's all good. How are you? It's nice to see some older users still on here.

True. Yes im good too thanks :smile:
True. Yes im good too thanks :smile:

That's great :smile:
I understand you need money to live etc. However you dont need money to be happy and in life your goal should be to be happy. I mean money isnt everything and you dont need money to have a good laugh. What I enjoy is spending time with my family and friends because it a good social time.

However so many people are in to the flashy car and clothes, it doesnt really matter what you wear or drive its how the person actually is inside and how they interact with you.

I know people who work so much overtime neglecting time for the family and friends, im like why ? I couldnt do that. People are sometimes fighting with their own family over money. Its just disgusting.

Why do you think people are materialistic ?

Actually,their perspective of "success" or "happiness" differs from yours.Yes,some people overtime,lose their interest but I guess its human nature, we get bored too easily.
Original post by Anonymous
Actually,their perspective of "success" or "happiness" differs from yours.Yes,some people overtime,lose their interest but I guess its human nature, we get bored too easily.

But boredom is not really an answer for materialism
Well,not exactly,but I believe at some point SOME people just get bored of "love" or "friends",because they have been trying TOO much to get the kind of love they want and they are like,"lol i will just go on a world tour rather than go out and find "love" ".I guess some people just give up too easily.Another reason can be,maybe,they have just given up on people,maybe because of past experiences.And,well,some people are psychopaths/or have psychopathic traits,which naturally makes them this way.

Please note:By psychopath or psychopathic traits,I don't mean they go on a killing rampage.
Reply 18
We're all raised with the idea of capitalism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending