The Student Room Group

"Tell me about yourself"

Hi guys, I have an interview this week for adult nursing and I'm wondering how I'd be able elaborate on this question: "Tell me about yourself"
I have asked my friends what they would say, how they would structure an answer to this question however they are just as clueless as me.
What details should I include? What should I say or avoid saying? (Examples would be great!)
Thank you
Use that as an opportunity to talk about your experiences and then lead into why you have applied for the course you have.
Talk about qualities you may have that you think are central to making you a potential good nurse.
Just be yourself. That's all they're looking for!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Use that as an opportunity to talk about your experiences and then lead into why you have applied for the course you have.
Talk about qualities you may have that you think are central to making you a potential good nurse.
Just be yourself. That's all they're looking for!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I'll take that onboard :smile:
Talk about your interests and hobbies, what you do outside of the classroom. Universities like well-rounded people, who are determined to do well on the course and also be sociable with fellow students. I know a girl from school who was rejected from all her uni choices because her entire personal statement was about school and what she'd done to prepare for the course (I should add that she wanted to do Medicine, not Nursing). Do still talk about school, obviously.

If they ask you why you want to be on the course, do not, I repeat, DO NOT say "I've always wanted to do Nursing". It's a very cliché and overused line in personal statements and interviews. If there's someone who inspired you to go into Nursing, say that. However, don't embellish any inspiration stories, because the interviewers might think you're plagiarizing other people's personal statements. The staff at your school might have already told you this, but there was a series of personal statements a number of years ago for Medicine courses up and down the country which all had the same story about how their teddy bear caught fire when they were a child and they got hurt and the doctors in A&E inspired them to apply for Medicine. Needless to say, they were all rejected.
My aunt was my own inspiration, as she's also a nurse. Has been for 30 years. I simply said "she talks about her work and I always see that she enjoys it very much, and I want the same enjoyment from my own career". Boom, job done.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a long-winded response, but I hope it helps. Good luck with your interview!
Original post by Crankyla
Talk about your interests and hobbies, what you do outside of the classroom. Universities like well-rounded people, who are determined to do well on the course and also be sociable with fellow students. I know a girl from school who was rejected from all her uni choices because her entire personal statement was about school and what she'd done to prepare for the course (I should add that she wanted to do Medicine, not Nursing). Do still talk about school, obviously.

If they ask you why you want to be on the course, do not, I repeat, DO NOT say "I've always wanted to do Nursing". It's a very cliché and overused line in personal statements and interviews. If there's someone who inspired you to go into Nursing, say that. However, don't embellish any inspiration stories, because the interviewers might think you're plagiarizing other people's personal statements. The staff at your school might have already told you this, but there was a series of personal statements a number of years ago for Medicine courses up and down the country which all had the same story about how their teddy bear caught fire when they were a child and they got hurt and the doctors in A&E inspired them to apply for Medicine. Needless to say, they were all rejected.
My aunt was my own inspiration, as she's also a nurse. Has been for 30 years. I simply said "she talks about her work and I always see that she enjoys it very much, and I want the same enjoyment from my own career". Boom, job done.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a long-winded response, but I hope it helps. Good luck with your interview!

Omg! Thank you so much. I'll take that onboard for future interviews :smile:. P.s. your response was not long at all and was rathher useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending