The Student Room Group

Living costs EU national

Hi there!
I am Janneke, I'm from the Netherlands and last week I've applied for a degree at the university of Edinburgh. Hopefully they will make me an offer.
Right now I'm figuring out how it all works with the finances. I know SAAS is willing to pay my university fees, which is great. However, nor me nor my parents are able to pay for my livingcosts while I am in Schotland. In the Netherlands I can get a student loan which I will have to pay back later, but if I choose for that, I may not accept the fund that SAAS offers.
Is there a possibility to get something similar in Schotland? A loan or something that I can pay back later?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Check if Edinburgh have any scholarships available for EU nationals. Otherwise, I believe SAAS do not fund EU students' living costs.
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
Check if Edinburgh have any scholarships available for EU nationals. Otherwise, I believe SAAS do not fund EU students' living costs.

they do, but it won't cover my livingcosts completely. I thought maybe it's possible to 'borrow' money in Schotland from the government, or another organisation, just like in the netherlands, but I guess it's not.
That means I'll have to borrow all the money (university fees + living costs) from the Dutch government, and pay it back later. It's just a shame I'll have to reject the 'free' money the scottish government offers me ;-)
Reply 3
How can EU students get living costs loans from SAAS?
Reply 4
You can get a living costs loan only if you had lived in Scotland for at least 3 years before the start of your course. If you hadn't, there is no way to get a loan for EU nationals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending