The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Predicted grades for Italian students

Hi, I'm from Italy and I have already sent my application. City, university of London contacted me asking to arrange for my school to provide me with full details of the grades I am predicted to achieve in Italian Esame Di stato. The problem is that it is impossible to predict grades for it and this is also the reason why my referee did not include any predicted grades in my reference. What can I do?
Reply 1
Write in whatever grade you predict yourself/need for the course. :colone: Afterwards, work hard and actually get those grades :lol: Or try to ask your teachers what they think you will get in each individual subject for which you will be sitting an exam, average that, and take that as your predicted grade overall.

I think your school should just sent them a copy of the grades you have got over your high school career so far and they can go by that, I suppose. If you sat any mock exams, the university may be interested in them.
(edited 7 years ago)
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
So, should I just send them a copy of the grades of last year and explain them that it is impossible to predict grades for my exam? Or has my school to do that?
Reply 3
Original post by giuliabasana
So, should I just send them a copy of the grades of last year and explain them that it is impossible to predict grades for my exam? Or has my school to do that?

I miei profe mi hanno dato i predicted grades senza problemi.. hanno fatto un calcolo guardando i crediti che ho preso negli ultimi due anni e vedendo come io stia andando quest'anno. spiega loro che ti servono per forza e di provare a darti un voto più vicino possibile a quello richiesto dalle uni a cui ti sei iscritta, sempre che ti sia possibile raggiungerlo.
A che corso sei iscritta alla city? io giornalismo :smile:
Oddio sei la prima persona italiana che conosco che si è iscritta ad un corso di giornalismo come me! Sono nel dramma perché appunto la City mi ha chiesto i predicted grades perché CREDO voglia farmi un'offera, ma la mia prof di inglese che mi ha fatto la referenza ha detto che non se la sentiva di azzardare anche i voti. Essendo una cosa necessaria però la convincerò a farlo. Comunque mi piacerebbe moltissimo scambiare qualche parola con te siccome sto cercando di entrare alla City per studiare giornalismo! (E, ribadisco, sei la prima che conosco aha :biggrin:)
Reply 5
Original post by giuliabasana
Oddio sei la prima persona italiana che conosco che si è iscritta ad un corso di giornalismo come me! Sono nel dramma perché appunto la City mi ha chiesto i predicted grades perché CREDO voglia farmi un'offera, ma la mia prof di inglese che mi ha fatto la referenza ha detto che non se la sentiva di azzardare anche i voti. Essendo una cosa necessaria però la convincerò a farlo. Comunque mi piacerebbe moltissimo scambiare qualche parola con te siccome sto cercando di entrare alla City per studiare giornalismo! (E, ribadisco, sei la prima che conosco aha :biggrin:)

Se hai Facebook aggiungimi, mi chiamo Lucia De Angelo :smile:
Ti ho aggiunta (Giulia Basana)
Hello Lucia, Giulia and everyone else. My son has also applied to several unis through UCAS last Jan and he received 2 conditional offers (condition being: Minimum IELTS score of 6.0 and obtain a certain minimum grade at the upcoming "Esame di Stato"). Another one of the Unis, however, emailed him asking predicted grades, I guess they want to pre filter out some students.
I confirm that the italian high school my son is attending said they will NOT release any document predicting his grades. I sense they are just trying to stay clear of any legal issues but my research so far confirms this is the usual approach of italian High Schools.

I have sent UCAS a post on this on their FB page, they are usually quick in replying. I'll try to share here the outcome.
I will reply here, although the post is 2 years old. (please do not delete it for necroposting). I know that many Italian students are willing to attend a UK University (which I highly recommend) and hopefully this post will give you some information.

There are literally zero chances for any Italian student to get their predicted grades from their schools. Furthermore, if they are attending a reputable Italian school (such as a famous liceo scientifico), then they will have a hard time to even get a reference letter. That is unless you involve your parents, and they show the school that they are ready to drag satan from hell to force them to do whatever UCAS requires...

My school was neither reputable nor a famous scientifico, and although I was the best of my class (across the sections as well) my head teacher (coordinatore) refused to write a reference letter longer than 5 lines. My english teacher which translated it for me was really sorry. She said that with that reference, no serious University would give it a second glance...

I guess I was lucky, as thanks to my personal statement and my achievements I was able to get into a really nice University.
Next year, I contacted another teacher, which gladly offered to write a reference letter, and with that I was able to get 3 offers from top 5 UK universities...

My advice? Ask your parents to get their sh** together and shove it to the school in order to get the reference and predicted grades. There is no legal issue here, all I see is teachers trying to avoid some work (and hide their bad english)...

Also, if you do not provide your predicted grades, every University is likely to ask for one. And it does not absolutely mean that you have passed the first round. They are just getting every document and information they need to be able to assess your application.

PS. Feel free to send me a message if you have any queries about studying in UK as an Italian student. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending