The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi people! I need a little guidance. I've applied to all of the "big 5" unis in Scotland to study German with Politics/IR. So far I have an unconditional from Edinburgh, which I'm pretty much sold on at this stage, but I don't want to rule St. Andrews out given its reputation for IR and Humanities in general, really. The big turn-off for me is location. I grew up in Fife so have been to St Andrews more times than I can count. It's a lovely, vibrant little place that I really do like visiting, but I'm bored of it after a couple hours. Therefore I'm not too sure how I'd enjoy living there, as it doesn't seem like much of a change from home.
Edinburgh on the other hand would be a completely new experience for me, having never lived in a city. I love the place, and the idea of living there suits me down to the ground.
My question is, with all I've said, would there still be grounds for picking St Andrews over Edinburgh given its slightly better reputation in humanities and the IR department? It seems like choosing between a Ferrari and a Lambo, but I want to be confident I'm making the right choice :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Tbh its up to you, st Andrews has a good rep and you can always visit Edinburgh if you want its 30 minutes away apparently or you can live in a big city. Edinburgh is an equally good university, your not really loosing out on anything.
Reply 502
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
What was everyone's process for the identifying their fees status?

Fee status questionnaire

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qeyoo
Fee status questionnaire

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you get the questionnaire from? Online or did they send one or
Original post by soccermom39

I just replied to their email confirming I was RUK. I'm really worried now that I've done this wrong :frown:
Reply 505
Original post by soccermom39

They sent me a link asking me to fill it in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 506
Original post by Andrella
Tbh its up to you, st Andrews has a good rep and you can always visit Edinburgh if you want its 30 minutes away apparently or you can live in a big city. Edinburgh is an equally good university, your not really loosing out on anything.

Edinburgh is not 30 min from St Andrews, it's an hour by train & more by car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
oooo is it, i live in England, I've never been there so i waa saying based on information i was told .
oooo is it, i live in England, I've never been there so i waa saying based on information i was told .

It took me about an hour to get from like Leuchars to like Edinburgh waverly so yeah I believe they are correct
Original post by daisysaxelby
I just replied to their email confirming I was RUK. I'm really worried now that I've done this wrong :frown:

I never received an e-mail, questionnaire or anything like that. They just said RUK. I'm guessing from my UCAS form.
Original post by jack0634
Hi people! I need a little guidance. I've applied to all of the "big 5" unis in Scotland to study German with Politics/IR. So far I have an unconditional from Edinburgh, which I'm pretty much sold on at this stage, but I don't want to rule St. Andrews out given its reputation for IR and Humanities in general, really. The big turn-off for me is location. I grew up in Fife so have been to St Andrews more times than I can count. It's a lovely, vibrant little place that I really do like visiting, but I'm bored of it after a couple hours. Therefore I'm not too sure how I'd enjoy living there, as it doesn't seem like much of a change from home.
Edinburgh on the other hand would be a completely new experience for me, having never lived in a city. I love the place, and the idea of living there suits me down to the ground.
My question is, with all I've said, would there still be grounds for picking St Andrews over Edinburgh given its slightly better reputation in humanities and the IR department? It seems like choosing between a Ferrari and a Lambo, but I want to be confident I'm making the right choice :smile:

Well, honestly it comes down to what you would like in a uni, a small but charming community type uni, or a vibrant but less personal type uni. St Andrews does have a great reputation for IR, but Edinburgh is pretty good for IR also. I'm having the same issue except with French and IR. Have you visited the universities and met with departmental personnel? I'm leaning towards Edinburgh as well but i'm going to visit, so after I speak with someone from my department and tour the places, I'll probably make my final decision.

Took about an hour and a half for me to get to the open day back in October from Edinburgh. :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jack0634

Just choose which one you like most instead of worrying about which has a slightly better reputation. Both Edinburgh and St Andrews are great and honestly if I got an offer from both I'd have 0 clue who to choose. :biggrin:
St. Andrews has a better uk wide ranking but Edinburgh does better in world wide rankings so i don't think looking at rankings will work so much.
TBH I would love the opportunity to live in central Edinburgh. :colondollar:
But St Andrews is a beautiful town, I don't think choosing either will leave you with regrets cause theyre both great.
In the end you'll know which you like the most, you don't have to decide yet!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 513
Original post by clucky_chick
I never received an e-mail, questionnaire or anything like that. They just said RUK. I'm guessing from my UCAS form.

Well when they asked me to fill it in they said it was because they could not ascertain it from my UCAS form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone I made a facebook page for St Andrews 2017 applicants because i couldn't find one myself - https://www.facebook.com/groups/314392885624420/ ! Hope you join and get to meet some other fabulous prospective students!
Original post by lookitsbeccy
Hey everyone I made a facebook page for St Andrews 2017 applicants because i couldn't find one myself - https://www.facebook.com/groups/314392885624420/ ! Hope you join and get to meet some other fabulous prospective students!

I was searching for one aswell , this is good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure it's public? It's not letting me click on the group
Original post by amerstudent543

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1231311706946972/ sorry this one should work!

I was searching for one aswell , this is good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by amerstudent543

There's already one with ~50 members here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/607348506139995/
Original post by Ace2184
Well, honestly it comes down to what you would like in a uni, a small but charming community type uni, or a vibrant but less personal type uni. St Andrews does have a great reputation for IR, but Edinburgh is pretty good for IR also. I'm having the same issue except with French and IR. Have you visited the universities and met with departmental personnel? I'm leaning towards Edinburgh as well but i'm going to visit, so after I speak with someone from my department and tour the places, I'll probably make my final decision.

Thanks for the reply! I have visited St Andrews a couple of times. The last time was a languages-specific open day I went to with the school, which I actually really enjoyed. The faculty was very helpful and knowledgeable, and I can see why many people would like the personal feel of such a small department. But still, the location is a big downside for me. I've never been to an Edinburgh open day, but I'm going to their Post Offer visit day on the 5th of April. So we'll see how that goes. If I vehemently hate it, then I'll consider St Andrews more seriously :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending