The Student Room Group

I'm a Oxbridge reject, AMA

Scroll to see replies

oxbridge is **** so take heart son, its not the end of the world like so many ppl think it is and it deffo doesnt necessarily sort u out for life. a girl at my sixth form lost all her friends because she did nothing but study, her desire to get into cambridge was that bad. she said if she didnt get in shed kill herself on results day. she did get in, got a degree and is now doing **** all with her life whereas other ppl who went to traditionally worse unis have decent full time jobs so you can succeed regardless of where you get your degree from.
Original post by JustPadz
Hmmm, you do realize most employment opportunities after you graduate will be in London right?

Anyhow if being in the city doesn't suit you fair enough

The only one I'm wondering about is

" it's pretty high up on the league tables (I think it's 6th this year?)"
Which league table is that may I ask ?

That's a pretty fair point.

And here.

That being said on the world league tables Durham is ranked a lot lower compared to some other UK Unis, so it does make me wonder how they work it out.

Original post by CTLevers
Would you consider possibly doing post-grad at Oxbridge or was your heart set specifically on Oxbridge undergrad?

I'm definitely considering it.
Original post by Anonymous
That's a pretty fair point.

And here.

That being said on the world league tables Durham is ranked a lot lower compared to some other UK Unis, so it does make me wonder how they work it out.

I'm definitely considering it.

What it is is that Complete University Guide ranking places a lot of emphasis on student satisfaction which is a load of hogswash really, as it can reflect how much partying goes on hence why Loughborough and Lancaster Universities are so highly ranked, hence in comparison the likes of KCL and Edinburgh despite being seen as much better than the former are poorly ranked. In comparison the likes of QS and times higher education rankings put a lot more emphasis into things like graduate prospects, reputation and prestige of the university, citations per faculty (pretty much indicating the expertise of academics there as the more their research is cited, the more knowledgeable they are), International student ratio ( the more international students there, the bigger the brand of the university)

Quick Reply

Latest