The Student Room Group

How to get into Cambridge for medicine

I am currently in year 12 and got GCSEs 10 a*s and 4as. I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge rather ham oxford on the basis of my low proportion of a*s which I know that oxford look at (low for oxford standards!). What does Cambridge base entry on for medicine? Also I know that they look for high as results, Iv heard 98 ums, how is this even doable 😂 I do chemistry biology and maths so any ideas how I can get really high scores in each?
Just go to the website and look at the requirements and don't listen to most "TSR" rumors. There is a test for Top UK universities in medicine called the BMAT, this will likely play a large factor for Cambridge application to get you at least to the interview stage. Your GCSEs are fine, hopefully they are above the average in your school.

try to get predicted A* across the board
Do well in the BMAT
Try to score High UMS in AS exams
Also i have to stress you need to do some extra reading outside school and really love medicine, there are a ton of great candidates with the same grades as you if not better, you need to stand out by doing stuff outside school like wider reading, volunteer work, shadow a doctor etc...

If all goes well you should be able to get to the interview stage which is amazing in itself. After that it's all about keeping calm, knowing why you want to do medicine clearly, and being able to have a strong deep discussion about medicine but also have alevel concepts clear in subjects like biology and chemistry
Original post by imaan2121
I am currently in year 12 and got GCSEs 10 a*s and 4as. I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge rather ham oxford on the basis of my low proportion of a*s which I know that oxford look at (low for oxford standards!). What does Cambridge base entry on for medicine? Also I know that they look for high as results, Iv heard 98 ums, how is this even doable 😂 I do chemistry biology and maths so any ideas how I can get really high scores in each?

Start getting in some GCSE physics revision occasionally
Reply 3
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Start getting in some GCSE physics revision occasionally

GCSE Physics?
Original post by S2M
GCSE Physics?

Yes
Reply 5
Yes

Oh how come? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't know much about Medicine.
Original post by imaan2121

Your combination of number and pA* isn't prohibitive for Oxford - purely based on those factors your chances would seem to be circa 1 in 8 which is actually above the average admission rate for all med schools. But I understand your concern.

Cambridge is largely BMAT now that people aren't consistently offering AS results (it was never 98 btw - 92 gave you a reasonable chance, 95 was about average). If you do have good AS UMS to offer I think that is still beneficial though (?). Their interview rate is higher than Oxford (not least because they have a much lower applicant to place ratio), though their number of interviews per candidate is lower.

Get good AS results and a good BMAT basically. Voluntary work is a must for all unis, so obv that too.
Original post by S2M
Oh how come? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't know much about Medicine.

There's a section on the BMAT that contains GCSE science and maths questions
Reply 8
There's a section on the BMAT that contains GCSE science and maths questions

Ohh ok. :smile: Thank you for telling me.
My friend got a Cambridge medicine offer with 5 A* 4 A 2 Bs at GCSE! Anything is possible
I have 2 friends who applied and 1 got accepted, 1 got rejected.

Person A - Rejected

12 A*s at GCSE
Idk UMS avg exactly but around 95
Predicted 4A*s + 1A already achieved
Above average BMAT

Person B - Accepted:

13 A* at GCSE
100 UMS avg
Predicted 3A*s + A* in GPR achieved
Above average BMAT

As you can see, there is not much between the two candidates, assuming they had similar work exp. I think a lot of the weight comes from the interview, and I know person B had good interviews, while person A said theirs was bad.
Well firstly, you take a good look at your GCSE results - they're ****.
Then you say "I can't do this"
And then you say "I will NOT do this"
And then you go to cambridge
And say
"How to get medicine cambridge"?
And they teach you
Without getting into cambridge

do you understand? ok

MY GCSE RESULTS:
U*
U*
U*