The Student Room Group

Revision tips for GCSE's in 3 months

Well, I have around 3 months till my GCSE's and I'm still not sure what the best way to go about my revision is. Some people say studying a lot (like 4-6 hours a day after school) will help to get you A's and A*s but others say 30 minutes a day per subject will be enough. I've asked many top students how much they usually revise and they normally say barely but obviously, that's a lie. Could someone tell me the way they revise and get top grades (since that is what I'm aiming for)?
Reply 1
Don't bother bro, just play video games like I did. I'm currently in a good university so I can confirm that GCSEs do nothing for you.
Gonna lurk cause I need help too :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Sawniku
Don't bother bro, just play video games like I did. I'm currently in a good university so I can confirm that GCSEs do nothing for you.

What university? Sometimes you do need good GCSE's because it depends what University you want to go to and for what course.
Reply 4
Original post by Sawniku

yeahh i can't do that... I need A*s to do the subject I want to do in A level which helps me to take it in Uni.
Reply 5
Hey, I revised just over a month before my GCSE's and improved on all my subjects since mocks (9A*2A) and its not impossible, although I have quite good memory which I think may have helped. I split the my time focusing on one week per subject. Doing a different subject everyday just gets confusing. All I used for my science GCSEs were the CGP revision guides and memorised each one whilst crossing off the content on the specification. Writing notes would've been a waste of time with very little time left. Then at the end of the week if you have time , do practice questions. GCSE content seems like a lot at first because of all the extra stuff you go through in class but once you've gone through the whole content at thoroughly at least once, you can easily go through it in a day and repeat the notes off by heart. Subjects like maths I tried to do half an hour a day again learning the theory from the revision guides or watching youtube videos (hegarty maths was good and concise) but more on doing past papers. Make sure when you do A-levels that you start being organised though, because this method definitely did not work for my AS-levels and I regret it now. It's hard trying to be on top of things when you're so used to doing something last minute. Also, waking up at around 4am on the day of exams helped a lot to cram last minute information (but that may not work for everyone) Good luck.
What did you get in your mocks and what subject do you want to do at A level?

Mind me asking?
Reply 7
I'm going to be honest, I got almost all A's and A*'s (got 1 C) and I barely revised at all. Kinda wish I had now because I could've done better. But at A level I am revising, and what I recommend is only doing a small amount each day otherwise you'll burn out- I mean you can do more towards the exams but right now I wouldn't recommend doing too much work. I do past papers a lot as I find they allow you to revise the topic but also you can find out what questions they frequently ask and how to answer them. I sometimes make notes but that isn't as effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by streetdude28
What did you get in your mocks and what subject do you want to do at A level?

Mind me asking?

i want to take further Maths, Maths, Computer Science and Physics. In my mocks i got 4 A's and 4 B's.
Original post by TJ149
i want to take further Maths, Maths, Computer Science and Physics. In my mocks i got 4 A's and 4 B's.

Your mock results weren't the 'best' but dude, seriously amazing, I'm sure if you buckle down you can reach your desired grades. I find it easier to learn maths formulas using flashcards but the rest past papers are ideal - you can find some on the student room. I'd recommend start now because it's obvious you don't yet no your revision style, comes with a bit of time I say - some people can do really well with barely any revision at all (hate those people) whilst others i.e me have to work their butts off. On a weekday, I usually do 3hs of revision.

Some people like to do 30mins and with breaks of different subjects but I just like doing it 3hours of straight with three different subjects. If I even have a 5 minute break, I know I won't be doing anymore that day.

Just ask about a specific subject and I'll tell you how I revise for them, I think every subject is different from each other.

Good luck!

P.S youtube videos are a lifesaver
Original post by TJ149
Well, I have around 3 months till my GCSE's and I'm still not sure what the best way to go about my revision is. Some people say studying a lot (like 4-6 hours a day after school) will help to get you A's and A*s but others say 30 minutes a day per subject will be enough. I've asked many top students how much they usually revise and they normally say barely but obviously, that's a lie. Could someone tell me the way they revise and get top grades (since that is what I'm aiming for)?

Not exactly a lie. I did barely any revision and got mostly A's/A*s!:smile:
Original post by emduck
I'm going to be honest, I got almost all A's and A*'s (got 1 C) and I barely revised at all. Kinda wish I had now because I could've done better. But at A level I am revising, and what I recommend is only doing a small amount each day otherwise you'll burn out- I mean you can do more towards the exams but right now I wouldn't recommend doing too much work. I do past papers a lot as I find they allow you to revise the topic but also you can find out what questions they frequently ask and how to answer them. I sometimes make notes but that isn't as effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I am now revising at a level too. You don't really have a choice...:redface:
I'd say, focus on your weaker areas, get organised and start revising now so you can have more time towards the end for past papers. If you focus and do about 5 hours a day now it will take a lot of the pressure off and you can avoid last minute panic attacks. But beware, this whole thing where people work for "Hours" can be very dangerous. Don't set targets to work for amounts of time.. Set goals to get things done. For example tell yourself you'll revise the cell structure in biology.. And vectors in maths and memorise 2 geo case studies, instead of saying you'll do 6 hours. That's not the way to revise!

So basically for the sciences, there's loads different ways to revise, it's hard to say but if you're a visual learner, you can try flashcards or mind maps or use colors when you write your notes. I personally don't like using colors in my notes cause I find it too distracting and that it pulls away my attention from the actual content.. And flashcard don't really work for me. Try and stick notes around your house so whenever you go to the fridge, you see the properties of alloys or something, and different uses of diamond when you shower

If youre auditory, read your notes aloud. One weird thing I do is I pretend I'm explaining it to someone who doesn't understand it.. So if I'm stuck while explaining, I can that I'm not confident enough on the topic and go back and consolidate my knowledge.

The most obvious one is past papers. They're the main way and if you haven't done any you're just wasting your time. The examiners look for phrases, even if you've got the knowledge you can still get below average if you haven't got the phrases down on lock.
So do like plenty of those. Make sure when you do them it's under exam conditions, seek all the lost marks and revise that area again and again till you're hitting really high marks.

Never let easy marks go wasted cause it can be the difference between an A and an A*. Simple definitions and things like that tend to pop up and it's a nice way to pick up marks so make sure you got those in check :smile:

That's about it and soz for the essay
I am in ur situation now lol. But what sort of revision techniques did you generally use?

Quick Reply

Latest