The Student Room Group

Black box driving me insane.

Okay so I've been driving nearly three months now and I have been told by many experienced drivers I am good and safe when it comes to driving. I never speed (even when everyone else around me does), I rarely break harshly unless in unavoidable situations, and the latest I have driven is about 8 at night. BUT my black box keeps giving me either perfect scores or negative scores across the board. My question is: is anyone else experiencing or has anyone been through this and in which case what did you do to fix it??!

Scroll to see replies

Rip it out!
Reply 2
which insurance company?
Reply 3
thats why i don't have a black box lol
I'm with more than and I wish I didn't have a black box but insurance was way too high without it i wouldn't be able to afford it :/
Reply 5
Original post by emmepemme1999
I'm with more than and I wish I didn't have a black box but insurance was way too high without it i wouldn't be able to afford it :/

Then you shouldn't be driving as you can't afford it. Black box insurance barely functions as insurance.
Original post by Goaded
thats why i don't have a black box lol

I have to agree with you there. They are a pile of crap.
They arent even always cheaper.
Reply 7
They are a big con. Rip it out and just pay a little extra for normal insurance.
Reply 8
Original post by emmepemme1999
Okay so I've been driving nearly three months now and I have been told by many experienced drivers I am good and safe when it comes to driving. I never speed (even when everyone else around me does), I rarely break harshly unless in unavoidable situations, and the latest I have driven is about 8 at night. BUT my black box keeps giving me either perfect scores or negative scores across the board. My question is: is anyone else experiencing or has anyone been through this and in which case what did you do to fix it??!

I am having the similar situation. My black box gives me scores of speed, brake, acceleration and time on a daily basis if I drave my car.

I have always got low scores of acceleration even though the other 3 scores are 100. The score of acceleration is even worse if I used a motorway. I think it gave me low score while joining a motorway, but I need to gain speed on the slip road. I am sure I accelerate as gently as possible, still low score...My insurance company is Wisedriving.
Reply 9
Original post by BSpower
I am having the similar situation. My black box gives me scores of speed, brake, acceleration and time on a daily basis if I drave my car.

I have always got low scores of acceleration even though the other 3 scores are 100. The score of acceleration is even worse if I used a motorway. I think it gave me low score while joining a motorway, but I need to gain speed on the slip road. I am sure I accelerate as gently as possible, still low score...My insurance company is Wisedriving.

Pay cheap, get cheap. Simple.
I'd rather run than black box it :rofl:
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
Pay cheap, get cheap. Simple.

If seeing the price list, you would know that I did not have a second choice. In my case, driving with a black box can save 1200 pounds per year.
Reply 12
I have a blackbox, I've never checked it - I often break the speed limit (not HUGELY, just by 5-10 mph here and there when it's safe) - and nothing bad has come of it. Indeed, my insurance premium actually went down from 60 pounds month to 40 pounds a month this year. (19 Y.O Male).
Reply 13
Original post by BSpower
If seeing the price list, you would know that I did not have a second choice. In my case, driving with a black box can save 1200 pounds per year.

What car are you driving and where are you getting your quotes from? I didn't pay anything close to £1200 on my first insurance policy, I think I payed about 700 in total. No black box either.
Reply 14
Original post by Merfie
I have a blackbox, I've never checked it - I often break the speed limit (not HUGELY, just by 5-10 mph here and there when it's safe) - and nothing bad has come of it. Indeed, my insurance premium actually went down from 60 pounds month to 40 pounds a month this year. (19 Y.O Male).

60 pounds per month for a 19 year old man, seriously? You must have got married and kids.
Reply 15
Original post by BSpower
60 pounds per month for a 19 year old man, seriously? You must have got married and kids.

hahaha, nope. I think it may have something to do with my car though, I believe older cars incur a larger charge - Mine is a 15 plate Fiesta.
Reply 16
Original post by Wōden
What car are you driving and where are you getting your quotes from? I didn't pay anything close to £1200 on my first insurance policy, I think I payed about 700 in total. No black box either.

cant remember exactly, I searched around different compare websites, probably gocompare.com. My car is 06 BMW 1 serious.
Reply 17
Original post by BSpower
cant remember exactly, I searched around different compare websites, probably gocompare.com. My car is 06 BMW 1 serious.

Don't bother with any comparison websites, they never give you the cheapest quotes. Go directly to the individual insurance companies, and don't be afraid to ring them up and challenge them on their prices, more often than not they will come back with a cheaper quote.

Aviva have been the best I have personally found lately, this year my renewal was just over £400 on my Mitsubishi pickup, fully comp. Would have been even less but I have to include business cover (I'm self employed).
Reply 18
Original post by Merfie
hahaha, nope. I think it may have something to do with my car though, I believe older cars incur a larger charge - Mine is a 15 plate Fiesta.

That is it. Insurance companies look at various factors.
Reply 19
Original post by Wōden
Don't bother with any comparison websites, they never give you the cheapest quotes. Go directly to the individual insurance companies, and don't be afraid to ring them up and challenge them on their prices, more often than not they will come back with a cheaper quote.

Aviva have been the best I have personally found lately, this year my renewal was just over £400 on my Mitsubishi pickup, fully comp. Would have been even less but I have to include business cover (I'm self employed).

Thanks for the suggestion, will try this for the next year insurance.

Latest

Trending

Trending