The Student Room Group

Toyota Aygo high biting point??

In need of some car advice. I drive a 62 plate Aygo Fire, with about 30,000 miles on the clock. I've always struggled with the clutch on this car, as the biting point has always been very high and vague.
I did some research when I first noticed this and it seems that Aygos/C1s/107s of that generation are infamous for having high, vague biting points, so I wasn't worried initially. However, I'm beginning to wonder if mine is even higher than it should be. The bite feels quite literally a penny's width from the top of the clutch travel. As you can imagine, it's very, very easy to stall. I usually manage to drive it relatively trouble-free, but the only way I can reliably and quickly set off at roundabouts and junctions is to rev the crap out of it to make sure it'll pull. I know this probably isn't doing the car any harm, but it draws attention and leads to dodgy pull-aways, which I'd prefer not to happen.
I realise this is no doubt partly to do with my own driving, but I am concerned that the bite is abnormally high and vague. So to any fellow Aygo owners out there-does this sound fairly normal, or should I have my clutch checked for failure?

Scroll to see replies

I have a Citroen C1 which is similar, if not practically identical to an Aygo. My bite point is closer to the floor than it is to the resting position. Sounds like you're in urgent need of a new clutch disks.
Reply 2
Original post by DarthRoar
I have a Citroen C1 which is similar, if not practically identical to an Aygo. My bite point is closer to the floor than it is to the resting position. Sounds like you're in urgent need of a new clutch disks.

Eek-that's the expensive-sounding answer I didn't want! :frown:
Mind you on the forums I've read, there's people saying their clutches have gone after as little as 10,000 miles so I suppose it's done OK at 30,000 if it does need replaced. I'll seriously think about getting it checked in that case. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
30,000 miles is not a good clutch life! Driven correctly, clutches can outlive the car!

Have you owned the car since new? Is it still under warranty? Even driving it like a maniac the clutch should last longer than 30k...
I agree (as usual) with IWM Tom - a clutch that's only lasted 30K miles is not normal - 130,000K miles maybe.
Reply 5
I agree, but as I say, other Aygo owners have reported clutch failure after as little as 10,000! Apparently there is a known fault with the 1st gen's clutch, but Toyota have never recalled it so its up to owners to wait and see, and subsequently pay through the nose once it fails it would appear!
To answer your question, no I am the second owner. I bought the car in September last year and have only put a couple of thousand miles on it since. Therefore I'm fairly sure it's out of warranty given its age unfortunately. I'm not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced or adjusted, I'll dig out the service history tomorrow and have a check. Admittedly some of my problems are probably down to my own driving (I don't abuse my car, just not that experienced) but I'd still like to have it checked as the clutch just feels uncomfortable in general
Reply 6
Original post by jack0634
I agree, but as I say, other Aygo owners have reported clutch failure after as little as 10,000! Apparently there is a known fault with the 1st gen's clutch, but Toyota have never recalled it so its up to owners to wait and see, and subsequently pay through the nose once it fails it would appear!
To answer your question, no I am the second owner. I bought the car in September last year and have only put a couple of thousand miles on it since. Therefore I'm fairly sure it's out of warranty given its age unfortunately. I'm not sure if the clutch has ever been replaced or adjusted, I'll dig out the service history tomorrow and have a check. Admittedly some of my problems are probably down to my own driving (I don't abuse my car, just not that experienced) but I'd still like to have it checked as the clutch just feels uncomfortable in general

I thought Toyota prides itself on a 5 year warranty (or 100k miles)? If it genuinely is in need of replacement (and I very much doubt that's your fault; abuse causes significantly higher wear, not inexperience) then it should be replaced free of charge by a dealership, that is assuming that it's been regularly serviced as per the schedule.

Original post by Reality Check
I agree (as usual) with IWM Tom - a clutch that's only lasted 30K miles is not normal - 130,000K miles maybe.

You're making me blush :colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by IWMTom
I thought Toyota prides itself on a 5 year warranty (or 100k miles)? If it genuinely is in need of replacement (and I very much doubt that's your fault; abuse causes significantly higher wear, not inexperience) then it should be replaced free of charge by a dealership, that is assuming that it's been regularly serviced as per the schedule.

You're making me blush :colondollar::colondollar:

haha - you'll have to stop making such useful posts then!
Reply 8
I recently had a new clutch fitted on my Peugeot 107, which cost £95.

Eek-that's the expensive-sounding answer I didn't want! :frown:
Mind you on the forums I've read, there's people saying their clutches have gone after as little as 10,000 miles so I suppose it's done OK at 30,000 if it does need replaced. I'll seriously think about getting it checked in that case. Thanks! :smile:
In need of some car advice. I drive a 62 plate Aygo Fire, with about 30,000 miles on the clock. I've always struggled with the clutch on this car, as the biting point has always been very high and vague.
I did some research when I first noticed this and it seems that Aygos/C1s/107s of that generation are infamous for having high, vague biting points, so I wasn't worried initially. However, I'm beginning to wonder if mine is even higher than it should be. The bite feels quite literally a penny's width from the top of the clutch travel. As you can imagine, it's very, very easy to stall. I usually manage to drive it relatively trouble-free, but the only way I can reliably and quickly set off at roundabouts and junctions is to rev the crap out of it to make sure it'll pull. I know this probably isn't doing the car any harm, but it draws attention and leads to dodgy pull-aways, which I'd prefer not to happen.
I realise this is no doubt partly to do with my own driving, but I am concerned that the bite is abnormally high and vague. So to any fellow Aygo owners out there-does this sound fairly normal, or should I have my clutch checked for failure?

107 driver here, bought it last month with quite a high bite. The clutches on these are cable operated and so can be adjusted. I managed to adjust mine after about 4 hours trying to turn the screw thing, it was jammed on so tight, WD-40 didn't work so i had to get out the pliers. I was reluctant to do this as the nut is plastic and I didn't want to break it. Albeit, the post-adjustment bite is better but still not great, the car is still difficult to drive without revving it more than other cars when moving off, if the clutch is worn out quite a bit you may be able to get a better bite but you probably wont get it exactly how you want it. Also, by adjusting the bite to get it lower, you will have to make the sacrifice of more slack/free-play in the clutch pedal. But as long as there is room to increase the free play, i.e. less than 1 inch of free-play pre-adjustment i'd say go for it.

P.S. Some people find it difficult to find the adjustment nut. This link should help with the whole thing.

http://www.c1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=560
Hi there ,
I got my brand new Toyota aygo X-press about a week ago and have similar concerns to you, it's a 67 plate and has less than 100 miles on the clock and I'd say that the clutch is incredibly high and this also causes me to panic , I wouldn't be worried though as it seems a common occurrence ... it may just be the car!
Reply 11
Original post by Ellielucy
Hi there ,
I got my brand new Toyota aygo X-press about a week ago and have similar concerns to you, it's a 67 plate and has less than 100 miles on the clock and I'd say that the clutch is incredibly high and this also causes me to panic , I wouldn't be worried though as it seems a common occurrence ... it may just be the car!

A new clutch needs breaking in...
Reply 12
Original post by Ellielucy
Hi there ,

I wouldn't worry. Unless you've been unfortunate enough to have bought a complete lemon, there's no way your clutch is bad after 100 miles.
The clutches are high, there's no doubt about that. But it is something you get used to eventually :smile:
Reply 13
Just thought I'd give a wee update seeing as the thread has kicked back into life.

Since posting, I've found out that my clutch is quite badly worn and probably has been since the day I bought the car. I know it's a tad prejudicial to say, but the previous owner was elderly (now dead in fact), so I can only presume she rode the hell out of the clutch hence why it's in the condition it is. The car is still driveable, but as well as the high bite the clutch is now juddering quite badly and making some appalling noises, so it's only a matter of time before it falls to pieces (we're now at ~33,500 miles) Even at that, it still passed an MOT last week so there's obviously still some lift left in it. It's just a waiting game now! :frown:
Reply 14
Just thought I'd give a wee update seeing as the thread has kicked back into life.

Since posting, I've found out that my clutch is quite badly worn and probably has been since the day I bought the car. I know it's a tad prejudicial to say, but the previous owner was elderly (now dead in fact), so I can only presume she rode the hell out of the clutch hence why it's in the condition it is. The car is still driveable, but as well as the high bite the clutch is now juddering quite badly and making some appalling noises, so it's only a matter of time before it falls to pieces (we're now at ~33,500 miles) Even at that, it still passed an MOT last week so there's obviously still some lift left in it. It's just a waiting game now! :frown:

The test doesn't check the condition of the clutch.
Reply 15
Neither it does. Crap 😖
Original post by IWMTom
A new clutch needs breaking in...

That won't bring the bite point up!

I would strongly suggest you stop driving it and get the clutch changed now, unless you have a particular desire to change the flywheel as well.
We purchased an Aygo earlier this year 2017 model, clutch went on Wednesday after only 3000 miles on the clock, AA said it’s the pressure plate, And took the car to Hodgsons Toyota North Shields silver link, they stripped the clutch and explained its not a warranty job and cost to rebuild with new parts is £658 the plastic bush in the ware plate that fits in the splines is stripped apparently my wife’s poor driving, we previously had a Rav 4 and a citron C1 and never experienced similar, has her driving technique changed overnight or is this just bull, very angry with Toyota, the car has failed to start 3 times, AA called, took the car to Toyota, guess what, it’s that time of year headlights on radio etc causing drain, now they say it’s short trips that cause the drain, last time it failed to start was broad daylight, from running fine to nothing when the key is turned, so apparently if I heard right this small city car is no good unless it’s driven for miles to maintain the battery, or am I wrong that the alternator should be suppling sufficiency back to the battery, we are sick of the car and to be fair also Toyota trying to fob us off.
Reply 18
Original post by Andy Hall
We purchased an Aygo earlier this year 2017 model, clutch went on Wednesday after only 3000 miles on the clock, AA said it’s the pressure plate, And took the car to Hodgsons Toyota North Shields silver link, they stripped the clutch and explained its not a warranty job and cost to rebuild with new parts is £658 the plastic bush in the ware plate that fits in the splines is stripped apparently my wife’s poor driving, we previously had a Rav 4 and a citron C1 and never experienced similar, has her driving technique changed overnight or is this just bull, very angry with Toyota, the car has failed to start 3 times, AA called, took the car to Toyota, guess what, it’s that time of year headlights on radio etc causing drain, now they say it’s short trips that cause the drain, last time it failed to start was broad daylight, from running fine to nothing when the key is turned, so apparently if I heard right this small city car is no good unless it’s driven for miles to maintain the battery, or am I wrong that the alternator should be suppling sufficiency back to the battery, we are sick of the car and to be fair also Toyota trying to fob us off.

Reject the car!
I have Toyota Aygo bought new in January 2016. Took it to main dealer for service today to be told that clutch has very high biting point. New Clutch recommended... The mileage is 5260....ridiculously low - not happy about that, implication was that I ride the clutch. Mechanic may have come to that conclusion because I am a woman. My father taught me to drive, at one point he had been a Driving Instructor...when we were out in it, he would keep saying GET YOUR FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH....that is my Mantra and I am extremely careful to do so, each time I depress the clutch pedal I can hear that phrase..... Had similar problem with Ford Fiesta some years ago, 'CLUTCH NEEDS REPLACING' with bit more mileage and age. I asked if Ford would replace it free of charge. Dealer said they would replace Clutch I would have to pay for replacement. Suggested I write to Ford to complain. I wrote letter to the CEO at that time. They checked with dealer, asked to see the Clutch which was was checked by Ford at their factory - found to be faulty...I got back the money I had paid for the replacement.....worth my time writing letter and cost of postage stamp. I know a very good mechanic who has looked after my previous car, I will ask him what he thinks. Toyota quoted £595...Maximum price for Toyota Clutch seems to be around £150. Man who broke news to me, said cost was because of high amount of labour which of course is very expensive. Should have asked what their hourly labour rate is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending