The Student Room Group

Pre-1900 Poetry and Drama OCR - HELP!

I have a bad teacher; a really bad teacher who is showing us multiple adaptations of the play we're studying and not teaching us anything. I want to study English Lit at uni so I really need to do well and was wondering if any of you have any useful resources for this exam, seeing as I am going to be teaching myself!
I'm doing Oscar Wilde's 'An Ideal Husband' and Christina Rossetti poetry. I'm fairly good with Rossetti, but anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, for an ideal husband would be a blessing.
Thanks guys!
Original post by shuutupcharli
I have a bad teacher; a really bad teacher who is showing us multiple adaptations of the play we're studying and not teaching us anything. I want to study English Lit at uni so I really need to do well and was wondering if any of you have any useful resources for this exam, seeing as I am going to be teaching myself!
I'm doing Oscar Wilde's 'An Ideal Husband' and Christina Rossetti poetry. I'm fairly good with Rossetti, but anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, for an ideal husband would be a blessing.
Thanks guys!

Hey, I'm doing Rossetti and AIH too! :smile: The themes of legalism and forgiveness keep cropping up when I read it.
Original post by tennysons_maud
Hey, I'm doing Rossetti and AIH too! :smile: The themes of legalism and forgiveness keep cropping up when I read it.

Oh my gosh, no way!!! I'm so glad I found someone doing the same :biggrin:
I've been thinking a lot about the themes of obsession and temptation, but i have never thought about legalism - thanks!
My teacher wants me to plan an essay for the essay statement: 'Love conquers all'. I've easily found three Rossetti poems to talk about (Twice, Round Tower at Jhansi, Maude Clare) - personally, what aspects of An Ideal Husband would you use? (other than the obvious Lady Chiltern forgiving Robert.
I've been thinking a lot about the themes of obsession and temptation, but i have never thought about legalism - thanks!
My teacher wants me to plan an essay for the essay statement: 'Love conquers all'. I've easily found three Rossetti poems to talk about (Twice, Round Tower at Jhansi, Maude Clare) - personally, what aspects of An Ideal Husband would you use? (other than the obvious Lady Chiltern forgiving Robert.

Haha, I know!! It's OCR too :smile:

"Love Conquers All" . . . hmm . . . well, I guess you could bring in Mrs Cheveley's attraction to Lord Goring and her attempts to manipulate him into marrying her? I don't know whether you'd call that "love", or lust or attraction or whatever, but . . . ? Also it was his solidarity with and friendship for the Chilterns that really brought them through. I'll have a think though and see if I can find any other links.
Original post by tennysons_maud
Haha, I know!! It's OCR too :smile:

"Love Conquers All" . . . hmm . . . well, I guess you could bring in Mrs Cheveley's attraction to Lord Goring and her attempts to manipulate him into marrying her? I don't know whether you'd call that "love", or lust or attraction or whatever, but . . . ? Also it was his solidarity with and friendship for the Chilterns that really brought them through. I'll have a think though and see if I can find any other links.

That's a really good point actually - both those two and the Chilterns seem to use the excuse of love to manipulate.
Thank you so much, I'd really appreciate that :smile:
Hi guys, sorry to butt in so late in this thread. I am currently doing my Easter revision for English Lit and I was wondering what other themes could be linked and compared between 'An Ideal Husband' and Christina Rossetti's poetry? Much thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by TheFrog98
Hi guys, sorry to butt in so late in this thread. I am currently doing my Easter revision for English Lit and I was wondering what other themes could be linked and compared between 'An Ideal Husband' and Christina Rossetti's poetry? Much thanks in advance :smile:

The themes I've been going with are: women, marriage/love, temptation. I find it difficult to see a link between the themes though so I usually use the context to link them. For example the Aesthetic Movement vs the Pre-Raphaelites etc
The themes I've been going with are: women, marriage/love, temptation. I find it difficult to see a link between the themes though so I usually use the context to link them. For example the Aesthetic Movement vs the Pre-Raphaelites etc

That's actually a very good idea, not thought about linking the social/historical context before. Much appreciated :smile:
Hi guys, I'm doing the same topics for English lit and I was wondering if you can make any links between the play and the poems with the question: ‘People will do anything, no mater how foolish, to get what they want.’

I'm also struggling on the themes and the differences/similarities between the Aesthetic Movement and the Pre-Raphaelites.
thank you!
Thanks guys!

I'm in the complete same situation; my teacher is awful and has printed the wrong copy of the play because some key quotes are missing in the lines!

You can talk about the themes of Love, Morality and Forgiveness which could link to poems such as Maude Clare, Remember, No Thank You John and Shut Out.

In terms of political aspects, you could associate this slightly to the Round Tower of Jhansi. Also, the contextual aspect of the play and the poems are quite similar with the Aesthetic movement and the pre-raphalite brotherhood

Hi!
I'm also studying Rossetti and Wilde.
You could use the fact that Mabel brings out a sense of vulnerability in Lord Goring and about how he becomes himself more when he's with her, rather than hiding his intelligence.

Sorry - I know this thread was from a while ago.
any quotes to back that up?
Original post by lucyjuicey
Hi!
I'm also studying Rossetti and Wilde.
You could use the fact that Mabel brings out a sense of vulnerability in Lord Goring and about how he becomes himself more when he's with her, rather than hiding his intelligence.

Sorry - I know this thread was from a while ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending