The Student Room Group

Not looking forward to the summer

Hi all

I am not looking forward to the summer for one reason. Noisy kids. Now I'll be working the summer but on the weekends, and evenings I would like to relax in the garden because it's fantastic in summer because everything is in bloom and we spent ages stocking the garden. But down the length of the garden is a lane that goes to the back of the houses. Most people use it to park cars in their back gardens which is all fine. But last summer some kids from the other street where playing down their, shouting and screaming. We asked them who they were first, because we haven't seen them before and just wanted to know who was going up because their has been a few burglaries in the area. We also asked them to not play down it or be quieter. They did it for about few times but resorted back to high level of noise. But if I had the garage doors open and was working in their they would not play in the lane, or very quietly and hastily come up, all most they know they shouldn't be up there.

Now my problems with it is that

1. It's bumpy and tight and narrow so they can easily come off their bikes and the green bit in the middle is full of cat sh*t. This is of concern because we don't really know who owns it so if they had some life changing injury then we don't know if we would get a bill for it

2. When they exit the lane they don't stop to look left or right they just shoot out on to the road and if a car came they be fried bread

3. Why should I have to suffer with their noise when their parents throw them outside to play. There are lots of parks nearby they can play in, but no they choose a dirty lane. If they were noisy in their own garden then I doubt I can do anything about it

The solutions I have thought of so far are

1. Stay indoors and not enjoy the garden. But I can still hear them shouting and screaming, and their foot steps I hear as well.

2. Just don't stay in the house. But I don't see why I should be inconvenience for something I haven't done.

3. Buy/build a audio kid scarier. But then I might get in to trouble for damaging their hearing

4. Get the police involved. But that seems very old man like and excessive.

5. Move house, but again this is last resort because I have connections and just seems daft that I have to move for something so trivial.

When I have confronted the children before they make very loose excuses why they are going up there, they also made pig noises to me. I am very worried and concerned about this because it could have the possibility of spoiling my summer, and my health.

I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions?

(I feel like such a old man complaining about this, but I just enjoy the silence and quietness, so why can't I have it)
gosh can you summarise this really it's like a full case against some little kids... what's the story? Otherwise go speak to their parents.
(edited 7 years ago)
Interesting post for an essentially student forum. Particularly the proposal to maybe get a ' audio kid scarer'...
Just collect lots of dog poo with a spade and dump it all over the lane. The children won't want to play there any more.
Reply 4
Original post by LeCroissant
Just collect lots of dog poo with a spade and dump it all over the lane. The children won't want to play there any more.

Good idea I did think of stink bombs or some sulphur stuff. Or a big dog.

Original post by Little Popcorns
gosh can you summarise this really it's like a full case against some little kids... what's the story? Otherwise go speak to their parents.

There parents are the sort of ones that would defend their offspring on a murder charge even when they witness the murder.
Original post by Big_Jon
Good idea I did think of stink bombs or some sulphur stuff. Or a big dog.

There parents are the sort of ones that would defend their offspring on a murder charge even when they witness the murder.

maybe you need to look for somewhere else to live
Reply 6
Original post by Little Popcorns
maybe you need to look for somewhere else to live

So what you are suggesting is that a run away from the problem?
Original post by Big_Jon
So what you are suggesting is that a run away from the problem?
okay yeah...
Reply 8
hm yes i see
Reply 9
Well I am a student. I am just part time and work and live at home because I don't get paid enough to move out yet and other reasons. Also I don't see how my concern is that different from noisy students in the corridors of the halls.

Quick Reply

Latest