The Student Room Group

gcse grades in uni applications

i want to study either medicine or dentistry or anything related to the two, i am not interested in anything else but due to my careless nature during gcse exam time, i got 1A* 2A 5B and a C at gcse. does anyone have any advice on what i should do or if there is ANY way i can get into them
Medicine at a top University will be very hard to achieve, given that most applicants, especially at Oxbridge have 7A*s or more. It's not to say it's impossible, but avoid any extremely picky universities, the top universities are looking for better GCSES for medicine. Even people with 11A*s get turned down. To maximise your chances of doing medicine, do loads of work experience and try to do well in mocks and AS levels if you have them. This shows your improvement which in some cases is just as valuable as sustained success. Going from 11A*s to AAA is far less impressive than going from your GCSE grades to AAA as you have improved so significantly. Dentistry etc should be a lot less competitive and the chances of your GCSE results hindering your chances are quite slim, although this does depend what your high grades are in. Because your 'bad grades' (not bad, just below average for medicine applicants) are due to laziness and carelessness instead of extenuating circumstances, this means you will just have to try extra hard to prove you are a dedicated, hard working student.
Reply 2
GCSEs don't matter as much but for a course as competitive as medicine it will be quite difficult. If you show an improvement by getting 3As at AS level im sure they will give you an interview. However, for med and dent you need to take UKCAT and BMAT so you need to do well on those ones as well.. (no pressure) good luck! Just do well at AS and A2
Reply 3
Original post by Ph8
GCSEs don't matter as much but for a course as competitive as medicine it will be quite difficult. If you show an improvement by getting 3As at AS level im sure they will give you an interview. However, for med and dent you need to take UKCAT and BMAT so you need to do well on those ones as well.. (no pressure) good luck! Just do well at AS and A2

Thank you:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn
Medicine at a top University will be very hard to achieve, given that most applicants, especially at Oxbridge have 7A*s or more. It's not to say it's impossible, but avoid any extremely picky universities, the top universities are looking for better GCSES for medicine. Even people with 11A*s get turned down. To maximise your chances of doing medicine, do loads of work experience and try to do well in mocks and AS levels if you have them. This shows your improvement which in some cases is just as valuable as sustained success. Going from 11A*s to AAA is far less impressive than going from your GCSE grades to AAA as you have improved so significantly. Dentistry etc should be a lot less competitive and the chances of your GCSE results hindering your chances are quite slim, although this does depend what your high grades are in. Because your 'bad grades' (not bad, just below average for medicine applicants) are due to laziness and carelessness instead of extenuating circumstances, this means you will just have to try extra hard to prove you are a dedicated, hard working student.

Thank you:smile:
Original post by GNHD
i want to study either medicine or dentistry or anything related to the two, i am not interested in anything else but due to my careless nature during gcse exam time, i got 1A* 2A 5B and a C at gcse. does anyone have any advice on what i should do or if there is ANY way i can get into them

Plan a gap year after your A levels. Apply in Yr 13 (to get some experience of applying and UKCAT etc) but be prepared for rejection.

Then work your arse off to get the best grades you can and as much useful experience as possible. Once your A level grades are in the bag then your GCSE performance is less important for shortlisting.

Quick Reply

Latest