The Student Room Group

Btec A level Science

Can you be a surgery doctor having a btec science? What is the difference between A level biology and btec science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mosisgansta
Can you be a surgery doctor having a btec science? What is the difference between A level biology and btec science?

Hi, if you look on university websites for Medicine, many don't accept BTEC Science which is applied science. A-level biology is better(which I'm doing) hope that helps😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

You probably wouldn't be able to as medical schools need A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
Short answer: You can't.

Long answer: You need A-Levels to do Medicine I think and it's very competitive, I doubt any people with BTEC get accepted as the highest grade in BTEC is equivalent to A in A-Levels and I don't think many Unis accept people without A* for medicine. A-levels are harder than BTEC's and also in BTEC they don't expect you to memorise meanwhile in A-Levels you need to be able to retain information. If you want to do medicine bur aren't good enough for A-levels then you aren't good enough for Medicine since medical school is very hard.

What you could do is: Apply for a biomedical degree and swap. But for you to swap you'd need to pretty much be one of the best in your year and i doubt people with BTEC can pull that off since the gap between University and BTEC is quite big.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Biology since I'm doing Physics at A-Level but I do know my fair bit about University application and honestly doing Medicine with a BTEC without getting a Nobel Prize or having an insane amount of work experience is impossible.
Original post by ImBadAtLife
Short answer: You can't.

Long answer: You need A-Levels to do Medicine I think and it's very competitive, I doubt any people with BTEC get accepted as the highest grade in BTEC is equivalent to A in A-Levels and I don't think many Unis accept people without A* for medicine. A-levels are harder than BTEC's and also in BTEC they don't expect you to memorise meanwhile in A-Levels you need to be able to retain information. If you want to do medicine bur aren't good enough for A-levels then you aren't good enough for Medicine since medical school is very hard.

What you could do is: Apply for a biomedical degree and swap. But for you to swap you'd need to pretty much be one of the best in your year and i doubt people with BTEC can pull that off since the gap between University and BTEC is quite big.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Biology since I'm doing Physics at A-Level but I do know my fair bit about University application and honestly doing Medicine with a BTEC without getting a Nobel Prize or having an insane amount of work experience is impossible.

You can get an A* in BTEC, a Distinction* is equivalent to the former.

Moreover you can study medicine, you can take a foundation year by a university that is offering the programme (have a look at Durham for example) or you can study Bio Med at a uni and then apply for Medicine.

Medicine is extremely competitive but I believe it is a vocational field of study, OP should combine BTEC Forensic Science with either Biology and Chemistry. Many doors are still open anyway.
Reply 5
Don't bother with a BTEC. BTEC students will say it's good but reality is that for top unis and for competitive courses everyone will offer at least A level bio and chem for even courses like biomed. And you need to go to a top uni for graduate entry. If medicine is the plan dont bother with BTECs at all, if you cant handle A levels you'll definitely not handle medicine at uni.
Original post by BigMan Ting
You can get an A* in BTEC, a Distinction* is equivalent to the former.

Moreover you can study medicine, you can take a foundation year by a university that is offering the programme (have a look at Durham for example) or you can study Bio Med at a uni and then apply for Medicine.

Medicine is extremely competitive but I believe it is a vocational field of study, OP should combine BTEC Forensic Science with either Biology and Chemistry. Many doors are still open anyway.

Except Universities don't consider A* even close to Distinction*. Let's not even get started on that, I was being generous saying it's equivalent to an A.
Reply 7
Original post by bigman ting
you can get an a* in btec, a distinction* is equivalent to the former.

loooooooooooooooool.
Except Universities don't consider A* even close to Distinction*.

I didn't know you suddenly transformed into a university?

Funny you say that - I think you should ask someone who works at a university's has experienced it, someone like PQ.
I didn't know you suddenly transformed into a university?

Funny you say that - I think you should ask someone who works at a university's has experienced it, someone like PQ.

Alright whatever, have fun at your top University with BTECs since they are equivalent but oh wait. As you go upwards on the University ranking the number of people with BTECs go down. I wouldn't know why that would be the case.
Original post by sinatraa
Don't bother with a BTEC. BTEC students will say it's good but reality is that for top unis and for competitive courses everyone will offer at least A level bio and chem for even courses like biomed. And you need to go to a top uni for graduate entry. If medicine is the plan dont bother with BTECs at all, if you cant handle A levels you'll definitely not handle medicine at uni.

Who said you need to go to a top uni for graduate entry? That can't run - I'm sorry you making up bs. If you are at a top uni, you'd think you'd be studying medicine. Why waste more money on something that you'll aim to get to when it can be done at the uni in the first place?

I said OP should do the BTEC with A level Bio or Chem - looks more favourable.

You are pretty much guaranteed a junior doctor role anywhere if you finish the degree at any uni.

Loool you talk so much sh*t, gtfoh 😂😂😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Alright whatever, have fun at your top University with BTECs since they are equivalent but oh wait. As you go upwards on the University ranking the number of people with BTECs go down. I wouldn't know why that would be the case.

At the end of the day I don't really care about the upper echelons of unis with such a brilliant name. I've applied to top 20 unis for Comp Sci and I got all my offers back so whatever man.
Who said you need to go to a top uni for graduate entry? That can't run - I'm sorry you making up bs. If you are at a top uni, you'd think you'd be studying medicine. Why waste more money on something that you'll aim to get to when's it can be done at the toon uni in the first place?

I said OP should come one the BTEC with A level Bio or Chem - looks more favourable.

You are pretty much guaranteed a junior doctor role anywhere if you finish the degree at any uni.

Loool you talk so much sh*t, gtfoh 😂😂😂

Obviously you can apply for graduate programmes but they're more competitive than even normal medicine so yes, for a competitive application you do need to go to a top uni. The type of people who apply often have a change of mind or didnt get into medicine in the first place then reapply. BTECs don't get you in because it's not even close to the difficulty of A level. The top BTEC student is equivalent to maybe a B in A level. Sorry mate, that's just how it is.

It's not favourable to do a btec at all. 3 a levels is better than doing a BTEC. BTEC is just not respected like that.

Im not talking sh*t, im giving solid advice because medicine is extremely competitive and suggesting that a BTEC will help is a complete lie and it is YOU who is talking sh*t. Dont get all emotional.

Firstly, you should probably call them 'surgeons'.

Secondly... don't do it. It is technically possible, but pretty sure you'd have to apply for a foundation year for people who took the wrong qualifications, or do another degree first and enter as a graduate. Both of which are more competitive, longer and more extensive than just entering normally.

You can double check by doing a thorough search on all uni websites if you want. This is your future at stake not ours.

But I think you'll find: You need to take A-levels if you have any kind of choice.

...and I don't think many Unis accept people without A* for medicine.

Only a minority of unis require an A*. Vast majority are AAA.

But they still don't accept BTECs.
Obviously you can apply for graduate programmes but they're more competitive than even normal medicine so yes, for a competitive application you do need to go to a top uni. The type of people who apply often have a change of mind or didnt get into medicine in the first place then reapply. BTECs don't get you in because it's not even close to the difficulty of A level. The top BTEC student is equivalent to maybe a B in A level. Sorry mate, that's just how it is.

It's not favourable to do a btec at all. 3 a levels is better than doing a BTEC. BTEC is just not respected like that.

Im not talking sh*t, im giving solid advice because medicine is extremely competitive and suggesting that a BTEC will help is a complete lie and it is YOU who is talking sh*t. Dont get all emotional.

Nah you need to chill, you are getting stressed over the fact that OP wants to do a BTEC to study medicine. We can all agree that OP will not get into the course straight away unless they can't demonstrate that they know concepts at university level Chemistry or Biology. Thats why I recommend OP to combine the BTEC with A level Chemistry or Biology and study Bio Med first.

The advice you are giving doesn't sound like you have given much thought into other entry routes, if OP still wants to do a BTEC - let them lool. Just like you said, people might not be studying the right subjects and will change their mind. That will give OP the perfect opportunity to be prepared to study for Medicines later on.

You still mad?
(edited 7 years ago)
Nah you need to chill, you are getting stressed over the fact that OP wants to do a BTEC to study medicine. We can all agree that OP will not get into the course straight away unless they can't demonstrate that they know concepts at university level Chemistry or Biology. Thats why I recommend OP to combine the BTEC with A level Chemistry or Biology and study Bio Med first.

The advice you are giving doesn't sound like you have given much thought into other entry routes, if OP still wants to do a BTEC - let them lool. Just like you said, people might not be studying the right subjects and will change their mind. That give some OP the perfect opportunity to be prepared to study for Medicines later on.

You still mad?

Im not stressed at all, seems like you're the mad one since you started swearing.

OP is still considering A levels and that is far better than BTECs. Combining BTEC and A levels will immediately put OP at a disadvantage. Entry into medicine grad is ridiculously competitive, more so than normal medicine. So A levels is what they need to take.

If you're not good enough to do A levels and have to study the inferior BTEC qualification then you're not gonna be good enough for medicine. You're assuming a lot about OP here. TSR always gives people this ridiculously optimistic advice but the reality is far from that. BTEC is for less able students and even top A levels students struggle to get into medicine, either the normal way or even through grad entry. I have considered all routes into medicine.

Besides, Chemistry A level is a requirement anyway.
Im not stressed at all, seems like you're the mad one since you started swearing.

OP is still considering A levels and that is far better than BTECs. Combining BTEC and A levels will immediately put OP at a disadvantage. Entry into medicine grad is ridiculously competitive, more so than normal medicine. So A levels is what they need to take.

If you're not good enough to do A levels and have to study the inferior BTEC qualification then you're not gonna be good enough for medicine. You're assuming a lot about OP here. TSR always gives people this ridiculously optimistic advice but the reality is far from that. BTEC is for less able students and even top A levels students struggle to get into medicine, either the normal way or even through grad entry. I have considered all routes into medicine.

Besides, Chemistry A level is a requirement anyway.

Err didn't know swearing is the same as being mad? 😂😂😂 I'll let that pass...

Anyway, yes it will put OP at a disadvantage however they can still gain entry into BioMed and study Medicine

If OP excelled at this uni with a lot of relevant work experience, they could possibly enter Medicine at another uni

Link: https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11859&title=Biomedical+Sciences+with+Foundation&code=B902&type=BSC&year=2017#admissions
Err didn't know swearing is the same as being mad? 😂😂😂 I'll let that pass...

Anyway, yes it will put OP at a disadvantage however they can still gain entry into BioMed and study Medicine

If OP excelled at this uni with a lot of relevant work experience, they could possibly enter Medicine at another uni

Link: https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11859&title=Biomedical+Sciences+with+Foundation&code=B902&type=BSC&year=2017#admissions

You're not understanding what im getting at. If you're stupid enough to do BTECs then you're not good enough for medicine.

It's a huge disadvantage and you're not understanding how competitive these courses are. Even for the biomed science programme, BTECs arent ideal and they prefer A level students/people with mitigating circumstances. And who knows what a med grad school thinks of a student who did a btec and went uni through a foundation year.

You need to get in touch with reality, for highly academic programmes BTECs are looked down upon. They're designed for less able students not potential medicine applicants.

You're giving overly optimistic and unrealistic advice.

Only TSR would tell someone to do BTECs for medicine :biggrin::biggrin:
You're not understanding what im getting at. If you're stupid enough to do BTECs then you're not good enough for medicine.

It's a huge disadvantage and you're not understanding how competitive these courses are. Even for the biomed science programme, BTECs arent ideal and they prefer A level students/people with mitigating circumstances. And who knows what a med grad school thinks of a student who did a btec and went uni through a foundation year.

You need to get in touch with reality, for highly academic programmes BTECs are looked down upon. They're designed for less able students not potential medicine applicants.

You're giving overly optimistic and unrealistic advice.

Only TSR would tell someone to do BTECs for medicine :biggrin::biggrin:

The point I'm getting at is that BTEC isn't designed for less able students, I know it's a PC way of explaining it but in reality vocational courses are needed if you want to get skills for work or further study.

Biomed science programmes still want BTEC students, I doubt it's a problem - you are going to develop further skills on the course. The BTEC/A Level only gets you into the next stage. That shouldn't be the issue.

Potential medicine applicants can still come through the foundation/bio med route - there's a guy who's living proof of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhvA18v2UM
The point I'm getting at is that BTEC isn't designed for less able students, I know it's a PC way of explaining it but in reality vocational courses are needed if you want to get skills for work or further study.

Biomed science programmes still want BTEC students, I doubt it's a problem - you are going to develop further skills on the course. The BTEC/A Level only gets you into the next stage. That shouldn't be the issue.

Potential medicine applicants can still come through the foundation/bio med route - there's a guy who's living proof of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhvA18v2UM

But BTEC isnt as academic or as rigorous as A levels. Doing a vocational course when wanting to go into medicine is silly and optimistic.

I dont see the point of doing a course designed for less able students, do a foundation year and apply for grad entry. That's just one restricted route of entry and there's not guarantee of anything.

If you're not good enough for A levels, you certainly wont stand the fierce competition for grad entry.

Quick Reply

Latest