The Student Room Group

49% of Brits back Trump's state visit.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by queen-bee
I'm just glad Americans won't be voting for him after these 4 years and I'm 100% sure that Brits will not stand for a similar ban on refugees :-)
If he does a better job than Obama, which in all honesty won't be that difficult, then there is nothing to stop him getting re-elected. The silly protests will eventually stop once those with a mind of their own realise that America is benefiting from Trump's presidency.
Original post by queen-bee
I'm just glad Americans won't be voting for him after these 4 years and I'm 100% sure that Brits will not stand for a similar ban on refugees :-)

You never know what will happen in 4 years time.

Most people said he never even make it into the presidential race... Then they said he had no chance of winning... Then they were are proved wrong.
Original post by nutz99
If he does a better job than Obama, which in all honesty won't be that difficult, then there is nothing to stop him getting re-elected. The silly protests will eventually stop once those with a mind of their own realise that America is benefiting from Trump's presidency.

He is destroying core values that America has gone to war for.

Perceived economic or security benefits are just that, perceived, and not worth it. In addition, he is creating an incredibly unstable world.

No one but his laphounds would believe that America is benefiting from a Trump presidency.
Reply 23
Original post by Mathemagicien
Fingerprint sensor authentication: Authentec makes it in China but outsources it to Taiwan for manufacturing.
Make? Manufacture? Difference?
Reply 24
The State Visit is clearly a political carrot from May to DT.

Other presidents had to wait a lot longer to get a Visit, and Clinton and Bush (snr) never got one at all.

US President State Visits.jpg

NB. Combines data from the royal.uk list of State Visits, and the US equivalent. Curiously Reagan's visit isn't on the UK list but is on the US one (there were diplomatic "problems" apparently). And Obama's is on the UK list but not the US one. Hmm... curious...

It just seems rather odd to give the carrot before anything good for Britain has actually happened. It's like tipping a waiter for good service, before you get the meal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Other presidents had to wait a lot longer to get a Visit, and Clinton and Bush (snr) never got one at all.

It just seems rather odd to give the carrot before anything good for Britain has actually happened. It's like tipping a waiter for good service, before you get the meal.

She is trying to indulge his narcissism. Make him feel special.
Another poll from YouGov published today has received less coverage.

If Trump's "Muslim ban" (which actually isn't a Muslim ban of course, but we live in an alternative truth era) were introduced in the UK:

52% would either be pleased or wouldn't care, or don't know if they care.
If there's one thing that 2016 has taught me, it's that nobody cares what 49% of any given country's population wants, and they will not be listened to.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Please stop confusing him for a white supremacist, doing this really makes white supremacy feel much weaker,if you look at real white supremacists they are horribly racist and view blacks and other minorities as slaves. watch a Louie Theroux on them, It shows you how they are on their best of days.

You can hate trump all you want but he is no white supremacist

Of gosh what was I thinking..trump's just so perfect and he isn't racist at all. He's such a loveable character. Even the ALT-RIGHT Love him(white supremacists). He's so lovingly towards minorities in the states. In your ****ing dreams. The man is a white supremacist an de I genuinely feel sorry for minority communities right now
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If there's one thing that 2016 has taught me, it's that nobody cares what 49% of any given country's population wants, and they will not be listened to.

If you look at the full data, only 36% want the visit cancelled.

Despite that amazing online petition that got the snowflakes so excited. :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Original post by astutehirstute
Another poll from YouGov published today has received less coverage.

If Trump's "Muslim ban" (which actually isn't a Muslim ban of course, but we live in an alternative truth era) were introduced in the UK:

52% would either be pleased or wouldn't care, or don't know if they care.

Or to put it more clearly:

27% would be in favour
12% don't care
12% don't know
49% would be against it
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I really do dislike him, he's a racist, homophobic

When has he been racist or homophobic? Did you miss the part when he protected LGBT rights?
Stop being triggered; Obama did the same thing in 2011 for 6 months. TRIGGERED FEMINISTS.

TAXATION IS THEFT; NO NEED FOR CORPORATION TAX.

WE NEED A BUSINESS-ECONOMY

THATCHER 2020
Original post by MildredMalone
When has he been racist or homophobic? Did you miss the part when he protected LGBT rights?

Far too many mindless sheep on this site who refuse to do their own, independent research.
Original post by MildredMalone
Did you miss the part when he protected LGBT rights?

Yes, I did. I did see that he didn't undo them, but not that he 'protected' them from anyone but himself. I try not to read too much about what he's doing though :frown:
Reply 35

But if course that sample size doesn't allow the result to be statistically significant enough to really say with any confidence that that is the case.
Original post by jneill

US President State Visits.jpg

NB. Combines data from the royal.uk list of State Visits, and the US equivalent. Curiously Reagan's visit isn't on the UK list but is on the US one (there were diplomatic "problems" apparently). And Obama's is on the UK list but not the US one. Hmm... curious...

She is desperate for the trade deal. He will love getting this freebie.
Reply 37
Original post by Dodgypirate
Far too many mindless sheep on this site who refuse to do their own, independent research.

Well, for a start there was "I'm against gay marriage."

Homophobic exactly? Hard to define. But certainly a great concern to anyone truly interested in equality.
Reply 38
Original post by 999tigger
She is desperate for the trade deal. He will love getting this freebie.

So she should keep the invite in her briefcase until the deal is done.
Original post by offhegoes
Well, for a start there was "I'm against gay marriage."

Homophobic exactly? Hard to define. But certainly a great concern to anyone truly interested in equality.

Wait, what?

Trump said he was "against gay marriage"?

Who you talking about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending