The Student Room Group

A*A*U

What happens when I inevitably get these grades in the summer? Will i stand a chance at getting into the unis I want to?

The unis I've applied to offer;
A*AA
AAA
AAB
AAB
AAB

Obviously, I won't be hitting any of these grades, what happens then? Do I stand a chance in clearing?

If you're wondering why I'm certain on getting a U;
- Maths
-Just got 17% on C3 mock (easiest module)
-Haven't understood a single thing in C4 so far
-Understand maybe the basic M1 questions we get at the beginning of the lesson, after that, it's beyond me.
-Still don't understand half the language they use in mechanics, I don't do physics yet they presume we know what everything means naturally, as if we've all graduated from oxford doing physics :smile:.
-Teachers are AWFUL.
-You can say 'work hard for a better grade', but when you almost literally know nothing, you have nothing to work at, no practice papers, nothing, because you have no knowledge you can put to practice.

I feel like I'm wasting myself taking this ridiculous subject, had I taken something else I may have gotten into a great university...

If it helps my situation, I could end up with a B grade at AS maths.

Scroll to see replies

@lw8 If people can self-teach and get A* grades, you can too.

It does suck that your teachers are bad though and I know what it's like.
Original post by KyleH123

It does suck that your teachers are bad though and I know what it's like.

I can't blame my teachers at the end of the day, it's a level. Even if my teachers were good I can't be saying I'd be doing well in maths,but it doesn't help my situation at all when I learn nothing during lessons, makes the whole situation feel hopeless.
Reply 3
Original post by lw8
What happens when I inevitably get these grades in the summer? Will i stand a chance at getting into the unis I want to?

A*AA
AAA
AAB
AAB
AAB

Obviously, I won't be hitting any of these grades, what happens then? Do I stand a chance in clearing?

- Maths
-Understand maybe the basic M1 questions we get at the beginning of the lesson, after that, it's beyond me.
-Still don't understand half the language they use in mechanics, I don't do physics yet they presume we know what everything means naturally, as if we've all graduated from oxford doing physics :smile:.
-Teachers are AWFUL.
-You can say 'work hard for a better grade', but when you almost literally know nothing, you have nothing to work at, no practice papers, nothing, because you have no knowledge you can put to practice.

I feel like I'm wasting myself taking this ridiculous subject, had I taken something else I may have gotten into a great university...

Hi mate, i did really bad as well especially for Maths ( Mock). I've been using Exam solutions lately and its helped a lot. Have a look you might find it useful as well
Dude that sucks if you really get a u.if so,choose a subject you really like and study another year or half a year.i think you deserve better for those two a* you got
Feb just started. You have time to improve. Nearly everyone gets that for c3 and c4 at the start but to do well in maths you're supposed to practise. Cut your attitude and focus. You cannot get a U in maths. How ridiculous.
Original post by years101
Feb just started. You have time to improve. Nearly everyone gets that for c3 and c4 at the start but to do well in maths you're supposed to practise. Cut your attitude and focus. You cannot get a U in maths. How ridiculous.

I don't think you understand the situation. I have nothing to focus on because the subject is that ridiculous. How am I supposed to practice anything if I don't know what I'm doing in the first place. It's like you trying to learn Chinese now and being given 3 months to be fluent in it, not gonna happen.
Original post by lw8
I don't think you understand the situation. I have nothing to focus on because the subject is that ridiculous. How am I supposed to practice anything if I don't know what I'm doing in the first place. It's like you trying to learn Chinese now and being given 3 months to be fluent in it, not gonna happen.

what did you get in AS maths?

Agreed.
OP is just preparing to fail.
Original post by lw8
x.

watch every video for C3 and C4 at least once a week and do lots of past papers and youd do very well in the exams id say

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
what did you get in AS maths?

D, 58%, 60% and 58%.
I'll be resitting to hopefully get a B
Original post by lw8

A*AA
AAA
AAB
AAB
AAB

- Maths
-Teachers are AWFUL.

my mate got 2% in his first c3 mock and is doing just fine now. Just do plenty of past paper questions and if you dont understand use examsolutions.com
[QUOTE="years101;69885676"]

Agreed.
OP is just preparing to fail.

Who are these people that have self taught themselves maths and got A*s?
Original post by lw8

I went from a C to an A in C1 on in 5 days and my mate went from a U to and A ( 92UMS) in a week in C2. Just do as many past papers as you can and use exams solutions if your stuck, Sorry to repeat what i just said but maths is one of the easiest A levels to improve results in - just requires some practice.
I'm in my second year of A levels and I self-taught C1, C2, C3, M1, S1, D1 last year. I'm doing the same this year for another 6 modules. C3 and C4 are killers, there is no way around that, and M1 did truly make me want to cry. But there are ways of powering through (I managed to get above 90% in all, so my method does work).
If you have the textbooks, then start at the first chapter and work through every single question. It's time-consuming and repetitive but it definitely helps. If you're doing three modules, then try two exercises a day and it'll be done in about 9 weeks. (I'm doing Edexcel, and the textbooks for those are online if you need them)
If you think you've actually got more of the knowledge than that, and it's just plugging gaps and exam technique, then bring out the past papers. I'd heavily recommend that anyway, but the sooner you start the better. Do each one in as close to exam conditions as possible (although if you want to do them under a pile of blankets with a cup of tea in bed, feel free) and then, at the end, compare to the mark scheme. Google 'Physics and Maths Tutor' and you will find all the past papers you could possibly need, as well as model answers. Note down the things you commonly make mistakes on and then head back to the textbook - repetition is key.
Ultimately, there isn't much they can throw at you in an exam that they haven't already, so practise enough and you'll be fine!

M1 seemed like hell when I first started, but eventually it will click - trust me! The questions there are very repetitive and lucky for you there shouldn't be too many vectors on the exam (our paper last year was basically all vectors, which I reckon is the hardest). Master the diagrams and it makes a lot more sense.
I reckon the key to C3 is spotting the identities, it ends up in most of the questions. And again, the only way to spot them is to have done similar questions before (I know, you probably hate the idea of doing trig questions over and over again, but needs must). And know that arcsin means the inverse of sin etc - I didn't know this which really confused me when I was asked in the exam to sketch arcsin.
Reply 15
A levels maths is about learning how to answer a certain type of questions. If you do all past papers 2005-16 you will see that the same questions come over and over again just with different numbers. If you just learn how to answer those questions you will be fine.
[QUOTE="lw8;69885840"]
Original post by years101

Who are these people that have self taught themselves maths and got A*s?

*cough cough*
Original post by lw8

A*AA
AAA
AAB
AAB
AAB

- Maths
-Teachers are AWFUL.

If you are serious about making your university offer you will visit F38 (The TSR Maths Forum) and start to get the help you need. It will take a considerable effort on your part however. Are you prepared to put in the work?
Original post by Suprite
I went from a C to an A in C1 on in 5 days and my mate went from a U to and A ( 92UMS) in a week in C2. Just do as many past papers as you can and use exams solutions if your stuck, Sorry to repeat what i just said but maths is one of the easiest A levels to improve results in - just requires some practice.

C1 and 2 are different kettles of fish. Incredibly easy in comparison, but I see your point
Original post by lw8
D, 58%, 60% and 58%.
I'll be resitting to hopefully get a B

what other a levels do you take and careful you dont retake too many modules as the two year a levels means youll have a pretty hectic exam season anyway

Quick Reply

Latest