The Student Room Group

Stressing over GCSE Maths Exam.

Now I am here Age 18, attempting to do my GCSE's again. However, I did notice I am doing to the New GCSE Specification, which means that the Exams are going to be harder than before. I have been stressing out for like the past 3 weeks over this. I have started revision around the start of January and have learnt few new topics. I have around 4/5 Months from now till my next exam, which is in 25th May ( Doing AQA Higher ). Do I have enough time to revise? And Also are the Specimen Papers harder than actual exam? Or is that a lie.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imzeman
Now I am here Age 18, attempting to do my GCSE's again. However, I did notice I am doing to the New GCSE Specification, which means that the Exams are going to be harder than before. I have been stressing out for like the past 3 weeks over this. I have started revision around the start of January and have learnt few new topics. I have around 4/5 Months from now till my next exam, which is in 25th May ( Doing AQA Higher ). Do I have enough time to revise? And Also are the Specimen Papers harder than actual exam? Or is that a lie.

If the exams are harder then previous years grade boundaries will reflect this so it is not something you need to be particularly concerned with, and the difficulty will not differ majorly. 4/5 months is plenty of time to start revising, I suggest you print off the specification and go through each topic one by one checking that you know it well. Then start on the specimen papers closer to the time of the exam. Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imzeman

Why are you taking the new exams? There is one final sitting of the old exams for people in your position and I suggest you take advantage of it.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
Why are you taking the new exams? There is one final sitting of the old exams for people in your position and I suggest you take advantage of it.

My college aren't doing the retakes for the old specs sadly
Original post by imzeman
My college aren't doing the retakes for the old specs sadly

That's very shortsighted of them. What about sitting your exams at another centre?
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
That's very shortsighted of them. What about sitting your exams at another centre?

I could I do that? I'm currently studying a vocational course and with it in doing gcse maths
Original post by imzeman
I could I do that? I'm currently studying a vocational course and with it in doing gcse maths

If you ask your provider, they'll say they want you to sit the exam they have been preparing you for. You'll have to pay the exam fee to do it elsewhere whereas you may get it free if you stay with your provider.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
If you ask your provider, they'll say they want you to sit the exam they have been preparing you for. You'll have to pay the exam fee to do it elsewhere whereas you may get it free if you stay with your provider.

Is it too late to enter for the old specs? I want to do it with aqa
Original post by imzeman
Is it too late to enter for the old specs? I want to do it with aqa

No it's not too late. Have you actually asked your Centre whether they will allow you to take it? Some Centres are not aware that this final legacy session exists as the original plan was that there would only be a November 2016 legacy resit. This session was added later.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
No it's not too late. Have you actually asked your Centre whether they will allow you to take it? Some Centres are not aware that this final legacy session exists as the original plan was that there would only be a November 2016 legacy resit. This session was added later.

I dunno I'm crossing my fingers that none of these centers are full
Original post by imzeman

Don't worry pal, I got ya. search any topics you struggle with on YouTube then type in 'uk maths teacher'. This guy has saved my GCSE and now I'm doing a level maths.
Reply 11
Original post by Mr M

I am currently in college right and I'm in a GCSE Maths class. If I register as a private candidate in another center will my college allow me to? Even if I told them not to enter me for any exams.
Original post by imzeman
I am currently in college right and I'm in a GCSE Maths class. If I register as a private candidate in another center will my college allow me to? Even if I told them not to enter me for any exams.

Have you even spoken to your own Centre yet? They will probably enter you for the old specification if you just explain that is what you would prefer to do.
Reply 13
Original post by Mr M
Have you even spoken to your own Centre yet? They will probably enter you for the old specification if you just explain that is what you would prefer to do.

I wish I would've known earlier. I guess I'll be going Birmingham to do my 4365 Exam. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending