The Student Room Group

Should I drop my fourth A Level?

hi
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hepl
I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History at my sixth form, being in Year 12. After completing January mocks, I obtained:

Maths - B
Chemistry - C
History - C
Physics - U

I'm considering dropping a subject since teachers and friends are saying that doing four A Levels isn't necessary, especially with how the extra subject seems to be dragging my grades down. The subject I would drop would be History, however, having studied it up to now and greatly enjoying the content it feels wrong to get nothing out of it. The head of sixth form at my school is able to enter us for an AS in whichever subject we choose if we're not ready to let go of something right now, or there's the possibility that we would change our mind in the future.

The problem is, I'm worried that keeping it on to AS will continue to affect my other subjects and in turn my predicted grades in the summer. Would keeping it to AS be wise? Should I just drop it now? (I really don't want to) Should I push through it and keep all four to A2 considering this is only the first set of exams?

I also haven't decided what to do at University- I've been thinking of Medicine or some form of Engineering although I can't seem to make up my mind. This is why History would be the subject to drop- I took it because I know I'm good at it and am able to get a good grade, as well as really enjoying the subject as a whole.

I'm really confused right now, so any guidance will be appreciated.

Yeh drop one, there's no real advantage to taking 4 A-levels as offers are based on three subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by hepl
I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History at my sixth form, being in Year 12. After completing January mocks, I obtained:

Maths - B
Chemistry - C
History - C
Physics - U

I'm considering dropping a subject since teachers and friends are saying that doing four A Levels isn't necessary, especially with how the extra subject seems to be dragging my grades down. The subject I would drop would be History, however, having studied it up to now and greatly enjoying the content it feels wrong to get nothing out of it. The head of sixth form at my school is able to enter us for an AS in whichever subject we choose if we're not ready to let go of something right now, or there's the possibility that we would change our mind in the future.

The problem is, I'm worried that keeping it on to AS will continue to affect my other subjects and in turn my predicted grades in the summer. Would keeping it to AS be wise? Should I just drop it now? (I really don't want to) Should I push through it and keep all four to A2 considering this is only the first set of exams?

I also haven't decided what to do at University- I've been thinking of Medicine or some form of Engineering although I can't seem to make up my mind. This is why History would be the subject to drop- I took it because I know I'm good at it and am able to get a good grade, as well as really enjoying the subject as a whole.

For Engineering you will need Physics, but a U in your mocks doesn't bode well.

And for Medicine many universities require Biology (but not all, so double check)

Fundamentally you "only" need 3 A-levels. Drop one. And get your remaining ones back up to AAA... :wink:

Good luck!
Just to let you know:
Universities tend to prefer AAA rather than A*ABB

If you are struggling, drop a subject because it's better to get a good grade for all subjects rather than 4 random grades.
Quantity is not always > Quality
Reply 4
Original post by hepl

Maths - B
Chemistry - C
History - C
Physics - U

Universities clearly state that someone doing 4 A levels will neither be advantaged nor disadvantaged from the normal 3.
So if it's dragging your grades down, I suggest you drop it. But at the end of the day, its your choice :smile:
Good luck for your a levels!
Original post by hepl

Maths - B
Chemistry - C
History - C
Physics - U

Are you sure you want to drop history? Just I see you got a U in physics in the mocks but a C in history.
Reply 6
You should drop one if your grades continue like that, but your grades might improve, so give it time - you can always drop a subject, but you might not be able to pick it back up
Reply 7
Original post by hepl
I think I will do this, AAA will look much better than me possibly messing up by keeping four. Thanks for helping!

Cool. And as per the other respondent, it absolutely is quality > quantity.

Ok, so... which subject are you dropping?
Bear in mind with Medicine, many unis require 3 A Levels and an AS Level (usually at a B or an A. If you drop it this far into the year, you will have to declare on your UCAS. If I were you, I would drop one after AS. In my mocks I got BCDU in AS and ended up getting AAAB overall at the end of the year. Just put the work in from now and you should see an improvement. I'm here for any maths or chem questions you may have :smile:
Original post by hepl
I want to keep Physics over History because it is something that will lead onto what I could do at University, History is very unrelated. I mostly took it because I enjoyed it - I definitely feel that I can do good in Physics if I spend more time on it.

If you are confident of turning things around then that's great but remember it is better to have an A level in history at a C than a U in physics.
Reply 10
Original post by slowdive
Bear in mind with Medicine, many unis require 3 A Levels and an AS Level (usually at a B or an A. If you drop it this far into the year, you will have to declare on your UCAS.

Original post by hepl
This is why I'm probably going to do it to AS, I don't really want to completely drop at the moment. I will probably regret doing that.

No university now requires a 4th AS for medicine, afaik. (Willing to be proved wrong on this, but please find one that does... :wink: )
And you don't have to declare a subject on UCAS if you formally withdraw from the exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hepl
I think I will drop after AS since there's still the option to continue if I change my mind and can cope with the work. Congrats on your grades, by the way! And thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. :smile:

Thank you! Seems a sensible choice, especially if you can bring your Physics grade up. Play to your strengths in AS so you don't have to do any retakes to get you where you want to be. Good luck
Reply 12
Original post by hepl
I think I will drop after AS since there's still the option to continue if I change my mind and can cope with the work. Congrats on your grades, by the way! And thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. :smile:

Are you sitting AS-levels in all your subjects? If so they all have to be declared on UCAS, including a U if that's what you get. Even if you then take it on to full A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
Are you sitting AS-levels in all your subjects? If so they all have to be declared on UCAS, including a U if that's what you get. Even if you then take it on to full A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, all subjects apart from Maths are linear so year 13 exams only.
Reply 14
Original post by hepl
Nope, all subjects apart from Maths are linear so year 13 exams only.

So you won't have an AS in history then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
So you won't have an AS in history then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those doing four subjects have the option to do the fourth up to AS only, the school just needs to know soon so they can enter us for the exams this year.
Reply 16
Original post by hepl
Those doing four subjects have the option to do the fourth up to AS only, the school just needs to know soon so they can enter us for the exams this year.

Ok, but then you are risking diverting your resources from the other 3 subjects.

A C at AS in History will be of no relevance for Engineering or Medicine. I strongly advise dropping it and focussing on your 3 main subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Ok, but then you are risking diverting your resources from the other 3 subjects.

A C at AS in History will be of no relevance for Engineering or Medicine. I strongly advise dropping it and focussing on your 3 main subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh, you're right. I think I need to talk to my teachers more about this, but thank you for your help. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by hepl
Ugh, you're right. I think I need to talk to my teachers more about this, but thank you for your help. :smile:

No problem, and yes discuss it with your teachers.

Good luck!

Edit to add: how are you getting on with medical work experience if that's the route you are considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
No problem, and yes discuss it with your teachers.

Good luck!

Edit to add: how are you getting on with medical work experience if that's the route you are considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I've literally only recently been considering it, so I haven't gotten anywhere. I don't think I'll end up going down that route to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest