The Student Room Group

York Uni - ugliest uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dez
Have you even set foot in York yet? :erm:

The city is a half-hour walk away, no need for a bus. The uni is not the middle of nowhere, the campuses border Heslington village. And as has already been mentioned, they have a brand new campus, worth millions, which they have been investing in heavily and continue to do so, as well as maintaining their older buildings and looking after one of the biggest green spaces in any university nationwide.

'half-hour walk away'? I thought It'd only be 15 minutes. That's even more disappointing. If I were in control, I'd keep that new building, then send in the bulldozers to flatten all that concrete. Then I'd build an old ancient looking campus next to that lake that's there. That would be option 2. Option 1 would involve flattening the whole university, and buying all those old houses next to York Minster Cathedral, and turning a part of the historic city of York into a university town - Google Heidelberg in Germany.
Original post by Dez
Those are geese, not ducks. :p:

:embarrassed:
Reply 22
Original post by Voi
'half-hour walk away'? I thought It'd only be 15 minutes. That's even more disappointing. If I were in control, I'd keep that new building, then send in the bulldozers to flatten all that concrete. Then I'd build an old ancient looking campus next to that lake that's there. That would be option 2. Option 1 would involve flattening the whole university, and buying all those old houses next to York Minster Cathedral, and turning a part of the historic city of York into a university town - Google Heidelberg in Germany.

It sounds like you're pretty heart-set on a city university. You'll struggle to find any campus uni that's only 15 mins walk from the town centre.
Original post by Voi
Google York uni images. Go on street view. All you see is brutalist concrete monstrosities. Granted, the spaceship looks cool (maths department I think). But the rest of the uni doesn't. It's all concrete boxes - a bit like my old secondary school. There are no traditional buildings at all. Now you'd think York uni would be all traditional like its town centre. A real let down that it's not. I would've considered going there too. Nottingham / Birmingham on a different league altogether in terms of looks. Mind you, York may be slightly better academically. It's a shame their buildings don't reflect their reputation.

Very possible a lot of the images on google may not be accurate any longer. Some parts of it are still ugly but it is a plate glass university not an ancient university, it was built 50 years ago. A lot of the ugly photos on google show buildings that have in recent years been torn down and rebuilt. York is going through a major expansion and rebuild programme and have been doing so since about 2010. If you are basing whether or not you go to a uni because of the way it looks rather than how it teaches and the quality of it's staff then it probably isn't for you, in fact I'd say uni probably isn't for you
Reply 24

omg
york.jpgIt looks like a refurbished 70's council estate
Original post by niteninja1
is it uglier than this?

lecture.jpg

Attachment not found

where's that?
or this
Attachment not found

Attachment not found
Original post by XOR_
where's that?

make a guess
Reply 30
Original post by Obiejess
York uni is gorgeous. Have a look at Heslington East. And the fountain in the main campus is stunning. And I live in Nottingham, trust me it's predominantly grim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heey, the university park campus is stunning! So is Jubilee if you like 'modern' campuses
make a guess

Coventry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brunel University London
Brunel University London

isn't Brunel an expoly though. They all look shite
we do have a clown chaising people around though

clown.jpg
Does it really matter how a university looks on the outside look at the University of Greenwich they have a stunning campus but are bottom of the
league tables
Reply 38
Does it really matter how a university looks on the outside look at the University of Greenwich they have a stunning campus but are bottom of the
league tables

Sure but there is a reletionship between how prestigious a university is and how it looks on the outside. The further up the league table you go the better quality / more attractive buildings there is. Greenwich is just an exception to this. I can't imagine people would view Oxford in the same light if it were relocated to a council estate.
or
Aberystwyth University
which is low ranked but has nice buildings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending