The Student Room Group

Couples accommodation for PhD student

Hello there, I am a EU student with a M.sc degree applying for a Phd position in the UK.In the personal details section of the application form, I completed the form stating I do not have a partner/spouse as I am not married or in a civil partership. However I am in a commited relationship and with my boyfriend (who is financially independent and now resides in London),we were planning on moving in together in the city of my studies if I were to be accepted there for my Phd studies. My question is, is there a possibility for me as a Phd student applying for scholarships(full award- fees and living cost) for my 3 years of Phd studies, to be able to request a room for couples in private accomodation, and in what way the decision of sharing a room/flat with my partner affect my possible scholarship-award covering my share of living costs? I would be grateful if anyone knows and would be kind enough to answer.
Reply 1
Original post by phdcandidate1
Hello there, I am a EU student with a M.sc degree applying for a Phd position in the UK.In the personal details section of the application form, I completed the form stating I do not have a partner/spouse as I am not married or in a civil partership. However I am in a commited relationship and with my boyfriend (who is financially independent and now resides in London),we were planning on moving in together in the city of my studies if I were to be accepted there for my Phd studies. My question is, is there a possibility for me as a Phd student applying for scholarships(full award- fees and living cost) for my 3 years of Phd studies, to be able to request a room for couples in private accomodation, and in what way the decision of sharing a room/flat with my partner affect my possible scholarship-award covering my share of living costs? I would be grateful if anyone knows and would be kind enough to answer.

I've moved your post to the Postgrad forum.

What are the terms of your scholarship application? I'm not an expert on postgrad but AFAIK your relationship status should not affect it...

I don't think there is a single specific answer to this question. On the scholarship - you aren't likely to get additional money for having a partner/needing accommodation for two. Whether the scholarship takes into account your partner's income depends on the specifics of the award, more often than not they will do though.

Different universities have different types of accommodation. Some will own very small amounts of couples accommodation, but depending on their internal policies, couples with children and couples with some formal legal status may take priority. Many universities will have no couples accommodation, in which case you will have to look at the private sector, ie normal commercial rental.

You really have to hold an offer from a specific University and know what scholarships you are applying for or are offered before you can work out these details.
Original post by jneill
I've moved your post to the Postgrad forum.

What are the terms of your scholarship application? I'm not an expert on postgrad but AFAIK your relationship status should not affect it...

Thank you very much for you prompt answer! I have not seen any terms in the application of the scholarchips so far which could create a problem, but I was a little bit alarmed by the fact that in the application of the university my personal status needed to be clarified, in order to be able to be provided with accommodation that would be closer to my needs, if I where to be accepted. And my main question is, can someone receiving a full award for living costs as well, be able to choose the type of accomodation they wish(e.g. double room or flat for two)? Since I don't know what the policy in these situations are, I was wondering if anyone knew what are the options or has been in the same situation..Thaks once again!
Reply 4
Thank you very much for you prompt answer! I have not seen any terms in the application of the scholarchips so far which could create a problem, but I was a little bit alarmed by the fact that in the application of the university my personal status needed to be clarified, in order to be able to be provided with accommodation that would be closer to my needs, if I where to be accepted. And my main question is, can someone receiving a full award for living costs as well, be able to choose the type of accomodation they wish(e.g. double room or flat for two)? Since I don't know what the policy in these situations are, I was wondering if anyone knew what are the options or has been in the same situation..Thaks once again!

See threeportdrift's answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
..........!

You can be offered couples accommodation if they have it, but I suspect your award will only be for a portion of the costs, ie to cover you. It would be unusual for a scholarship not designed for couples, to offer money to cover a partners cost. But you will have to ask about those specifics.

Well-done for taking up the next academic challenge after a MSc- a PhD. I hope the application goes well. When I read your questions, I immediately recalled a a PhD colleague of mine, who had similar questions. However, her boyfriend was also going to be studying as well and a couple accommodation was fairly easy to secure.

Different universities have different solutions to these type of question. However, one thing is quite common- they will want to make student life as relatively stress-free as possible One thing you need to do though is to apply for accommodation as early as possible. They are generally oversubscribed.

Before applying, make direct contact with the University accommodation unit and see if they are any flexible arrangement they can offer. If they are any, you will be certainly offered. If there aren't, you are likely to be referred to closer off-site accommodations.

I do not think your scholarship will be increased since you not not yet married/in a civil partnership. Universities will want to operate within the realm of what is official to ensure same standards are kept for everyone, just some fairness. However, contact them with your concerns. Again, these solutions are hardly generic. If the city of your studies is not as populated as London, who knows, there could be more flexibility and options the Uni has for you.

All the best with the application. I hope it goes well.
Original post by threeportdrift
I don't think there is a single specific answer to this question. On the scholarship - you aren't likely to get additional money for having a partner/needing accommodation for two. Whether the scholarship takes into account your partner's income depends on the specifics of the award, more often than not they will do though.

Different universities have different types of accommodation. Some will own very small amounts of couples accommodation, but depending on their internal policies, couples with children and couples with some formal legal status may take priority. Many universities will have no couples accommodation, in which case you will have to look at the private sector, ie normal commercial rental.

You really have to hold an offer from a specific University and know what scholarships you are applying for or are offered before you can work out these details.

Thank you very much for your answer and all the information you provided me with regarding the matter, threeportdrift. I see what you say, it all sounds very normal and I will certainly ask the department all these questions, if I have an offer. From your experience or knowledge, do you think would there be a problem if I seek accomodation by myself, since there are limited double rooms as you said, and choose to live with my partner and share my part of the costs with the money of the studentship/scholarship? Do Universities usually have a say in how one chooses to spend the scholarship money?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
See threeportdrift's answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes,thank you jneill.
Original post by Cranfield University
Well-done for taking up the next academic challenge after a MSc- a PhD. I hope the application goes well. When I read your questions, I immediately recalled a a PhD colleague of mine, who had similar questions. However, her boyfriend was also going to be studying as well and a couple accommodation was fairly easy to secure.

Different universities have different solutions to these type of question. However, one thing is quite common- they will want to make student life as relatively stress-free as possible One thing you need to do though is to apply for accommodation as early as possible. They are generally oversubscribed.

Before applying, make direct contact with the University accommodation unit and see if they are any flexible arrangement they can offer. If they are any, you will be certainly offered. If there aren't, you are likely to be referred to closer off-site accommodations.

I do not think your scholarship will be increased since you not not yet married/in a civil partnership. Universities will want to operate within the realm of what is official to ensure same standards are kept for everyone, just some fairness. However, contact them with your concerns. Again, these solutions are hardly generic. If the city of your studies is not as populated as London, who knows, there could be more flexibility and options the Uni has for you.

All the best with the application. I hope it goes well.

Thank you so much for all the information and the time you took to reply, I truly appreciate it. I will certainly contact them. I am not expecting the scholarship to be increased, my only question is if Universities usually have a say in how one chooses to spend the scholarship/studentship money. If,for example in my case, I will have the freedom to choose accomodation in the private sector with my partner and share my part of the costs. Thank you for your kindness and wishes for my studies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Do Universities usually have a saying in how one chooses to spend the scholarship money?

It's up to you how it's spent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you very much for your answer and all the information you provided me with regarding the matter, threeportdrift. I see what you say, it all sounds very normal and I will certainly ask the department all these questions, if I have an offer. From your experience or knowledge, do you think would there be a problem if I seek accomodation by myself, since there are limited double rooms as you said, and choose to live with my partner and share my part of the costs with the money of the studentship/scholarship? Do Universities usually have a saying in how one chooses to spend the scholarship money?

They don't have any say over whether you find a private rental with a double bed or a single bed! You are free to look at the private rental market, and you can live in whatever you can manage to afford. The only time a university would get involved would be if they thought your home circumstances were interfering with your studies. They certainly wouldn't be bothered if a partner was living with you. They just don't have those double living resources to offer themselves.
Original post by jneill
It's up to you how it's spent.

I see, well this is a good thing. Thank you very much jneill!
Original post by threeportdrift
They don't have any say over whether you find a private rental with a double bed or a single bed! You are free to look at the private rental market, and you can live in whatever you can manage to afford. The only time a university would get involved would be if they thought your home circumstances were interfering with your studies. They certainly wouldn't be bothered if a partner was living with you. They just don't have those double living resources to offer themselves.

Thank you so much for the information, threeportdrift. I honestly have no clue how these things work in the U.K, so this is very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending