The Student Room Group

Is this a good combination of A-levels?

I want to take geography, French, maths and further maths as my 4th. Or should I swap further maths for psychology, biology or art? I know they're completely different subjects but I have no idea what I want to go into :smile:)
Original post by needhelp28
I want to take geography, French, maths and further maths as my 4th. Or should I swap further maths for psychology, biology or art? I know they're completely different subjects but I have no idea what I want to go into :smile:)

I think bio or art as 4th A-levels would be too intensive, whereas FM... yes it's difficult but can often feel like doing 3 and a half A-levels rather than 4.

It is tricky to decide, yes, but remember for example you don't need Psychology to actually study it at uni (I think) or you could do Computer Science which just requires Maths as a particular subject, or Accounting & Finance with just maths, or do an access course to get into a science degree at uni etc.
Original post by needhelp28

As hard as people say further maths is. You should remember maths as a whole isnt a difficult subject to revise for, whereas biology and french can be. What course do you plan on applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by Jasondazza
As hard as people say further maths is. You should remember maths as a whole isnt a difficult subject to revise for, whereas biology and french can be. What course do you plan on applying for?

That's the thing, I'm not sure what I want to do at uni :/ just trying to keep my options open and do what I enjoy
Reply 4
Do you have any rough idea what you want to study? I'd say going for FM biology or art, as FM goes well with maths, and bio and art are good "core" subject, so you'd be able to go into a subject that requires them, whereas, as someone mentioned before, you don't even need psychology to study psychology.

It also depends on which subject you genuinely think you'd enjoy studying the most, theres nothing worse that choosing a subject you have no interest in! :smile:
Reply 5
I don't think anyone should be thinking about taking Art if they are just "thinking" about it. I mean the other things you can just learn with enough hard work, but Art you have to be good at, somehow. I think your original choice is probably best for you, if those are your favourite subjects and you've got no clear plan what you want to do afterwards. When it comes to homework and revising, a change is as good as a rest!
I wasnt sure about what I wanted to do at uni until i started sixth form and had a really good connection with one of my teachers and the subject. Im sure it'll become clear to you where your passion/strengths lie in the future. But before you chose your a levels I think it would be wise to think about what your favourite subjects are and what you enjoy doing in school and what you foresee yourself doing-- Also i really do suggest reading these books they are excellent and can help you make a decision (If you can get through the book and enjoy it, its a good sign!) http://www.veryshortintroductions.com/

All the best mate! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest