The Student Room Group

USA vs UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Makes you wonder how much he can attack the courts and how much they will be swayed.

He plainly doesn't understand that he is not CEO of the USA, and that there are three branches to US government. He wants to be a dictator, not a democratic head of state, IMO. That is cause for concern.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alextox
I am laughing because you say Canada as an option while the thread was only about the UK and the USA. I hope that you wouldn't take that in offence, if so I apologize

It must be a single country, as Trump doesn't want to build a wall between the US and Canada. They also share a country code :smile:
Original post by zayn008
The UK isn't anymore friendly than the USA when it comes to immigrants unless you live in London or an area with heavy immigration. As for healthcare, if you have a job you're covered and many states offer their own subsidised/free healthcare programs and with the state of the NHS which is only going to continue going down you might wanna sign up to Bupa. The only thing I would agree with is weapons control but again, choose a good area and it'll be minimal.

It's true that Brexit may wake up some racist boneheads, but it's common when this sort of things happen and it won't last for a long time. Also the healthcare programs which are offered for the american workers don't cover everything or have a lot of restrictions.
(edited 7 years ago)
UK 100%

America is a crazy, paranoid place.
Original post by RogerOxon
He plainly doesn't understand that he is not CEO of the USA, and that there are three branches to US government. He wants to be a dictator, not a democratic head of state, IMO. That is cause for concern.

It is fascinating, especially all his supporters who dont really care about the so called judges. Be interesting to see if Gorsuch is his lapdog or capable of standing on his own. Apparently he will get to appoint three more as well. I wonder if he really will attempt to push Roe V Wade back, surely that really will divide America?
I have invaded the UK(Except Scotland) and is an excellent place because it has so much gold, wood and tin! Ofcourse we had to put up with numerous rebellions from British tribes that didn't like us! As for the US I have never been to the other end of the world! They say that the other end of the world is a very scary and hellish place, I would not like the emperor to try and send us there in search of new lands!
There are too many maniacs with guns in the USA for my liking.
It is fascinating, especially all his supporters who dont really care about the so called judges. Be interesting to see if Gorsuch is his lapdog or capable of standing on his own. Apparently he will get to appoint three more as well. I wonder if he really will attempt to push Roe V Wade back, surely that really will divide America?

Trump is stupid and racist. I don't know why a great part of the American people have voted for him. Maybe, they feel nostalgia about the 80s and think that Trump would be like Reagan. However, they are wrong. Also, I can't believe that Trump is so unfriendly with immigrants while 2 of their 3 wives were foreign. What's more, It sounds utterly suspicious that a construction tycoon wants to build a huge and extremely expensive wall with the excuse of "prevent immigration"
(edited 7 years ago)
I prefer the US. The UK is just dull and boring. I hope to go back to the US.
Original post by Alextox
Trump is stupid and racist. I don't know why a great part of the American people have voted for him. Maybe, they feel nostalgia about the 80s and think that Trump would be like Reagan. However, they are wrong. Also, I can't believe that Trump is so unfriendly with immigrants while 2 of their 3 wives were foreign. What's more, It sounds utterly suspicious that a construction tycoon wants to build a huge and extremely expensive wall with the excuse of "prevent immigration"

I wouldn't call Trump racist as he has nothing against any race but he certainly is stupid. Like one says America is the land of guns! I am telling you, my pilum is better than their stupid guns!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Angry Roman
I wouldn't call Trump racist as he has nothing against any race but he certainly is stupid. Like one says America is the land of guns! I am telling you, my pilum is better than their stupid guns!

Hahahahahah pilum for the win!! :biggrin::biggrin:
There was another thread on this. It depends on what your priorities are.

I'm British, but live in California. I would not live in most places in the US. I would live in some places in the UK, but, overall, I prefer life here. I may move when I retire, but where will probably be decided more by where my children settle than my preference (which would currently be the Caribbean)

SoCal>>>>>London

I prefer America to the UK
Original post by Lord Gaben
I prefer the US. The UK is just dull and boring. I hope to go back to the US.

Amen to that!

I miss New York big time :heart:
Reply 33
I feel like the UK is good for individuals who want a half-decent/simple life. However, unless it is London, Birmingham or Manchester, life could get pretty boring easily. The USA may be suited to individuals who want to live life to the fullest, and also those who are not overly-paranoid about safety/security etc. After all, people seem to forget that the USA is a MASSIVE country, and all of these shootings/police brutality incidents etc do not affect the vast majority of people, regardless of age, race, gender. Because the media is constantly focused on the negative aspect of things, it just creates more paranoia/fear. But in my personal opinion the UK just cannot compare with the US in terms of entertainment/leisure activities. The USA caters to many types of personalities/lifestyles. Also, most states in America have much better weather than the UK (which is important to me because I detest the cold/rain). If I was lucky enough to get a green card, I'd definitely take the chance. It's good to be alert of the problems in our world, but at the same time if we live our lives in constant fear, then surely that just reduces one's quality of life anyway?
Original post by dmy15
However, unless it is London, Birmingham or Manchester, life could get pretty boring easily.

Agreed, I live in London and here is just boring as ****, all you do is study, eat and sleep, very simple really.
Its interesting and at least you get updated by Twitter. He did win fair and square. You almost feel like he is campaigning already. You should stay over there imo with the weather. The next election will be fascinating as theres a similar sense of division over here.

He did not win fair and square. The Russians helped put fake news about Hillary targeting all social media. The States run by Republicans tampered with elections. USA will likely have a hard time recovering from all the damage done by his presidency
Original post by LGBTvoice
If it were to be the UK it would have to be London, Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool. There's not much anywhere else.

Birmingham isn't terrible.
Reply 37
Today, the US has become the most powerful nation in the world in terms of military strength and national defense.

The USA is the land of dreams, that’s why people come to The USA because of the opportunities, USA has so many opportunities to accomplish yours dreams....

The USA is better and more powerful, is a fact ... PEOPLE THERE get paid so much money and a lot more than the U.K. ... California State itself is so powerful even more than the U.K. can u imagine the whole country?? Even more powerful ... in most cases You end up with 2 or 3 retirements when u get old.. you live better and have a high quality life ... I’ve been in the USA for 5 years and my life is wonderful .. I’m not trying to disrespect the U.K. but facts are facts.. the U.K. is a beautiful country tho.

Also just know that the economy is pretty high in the U.S. ... doesn’t matter if we have a bad president or not, the country does not stop being one of the most powerful nations.
Reply 38
Original post by The Angry Roman
Agreed, I live in London and here is just boring as ****, all you do is study, eat and sleep, very simple really.

Today, the US has become the most powerful nation in the world in terms of military strength and national defense.

The USA is the land of dreams, that’s why people come to The USA because of the opportunities, USA has so many opportunities to accomplish yours dreams....

The USA is better and more powerful, is a fact ... PEOPLE THERE get paid so much money and a lot more than the U.K. ... California State itself is so powerful even more than the U.K. can u imagine the whole country?? Even more powerful ... in most cases You end up with 2 or 3 retirements when u get old.. you live better and have a high quality life ... I’ve been in the USA for 5 years and my life is wonderful .. I’m not trying to disrespect the U.K. but facts are facts.. the U.K. is a beautiful country tho.

Also just know that the economy is pretty high in the U.S. ... doesn’t matter if we have a bad president or not, the country does not stop being one of the most powerful nations.
Reply 39
It must be a single country, as Trump doesn't want to build a wall between the US and Canada. They also share a country code :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest