The Student Room Group

Essay-based subject for law?

What would be a good subject to do? History, English Lit.. etc?
History if you love and enjoy it. You will find it very hard if you do not enjoy this subject. English Lit is also your best choice.
Taking both is common of many law students as they are probably the most highly regarded humanities subjects. Taking two would be a good option as it would maximise your essay writing skills and prepare you well for a law course at Uni.
Reply 2
Take both.

Economics, a language, Maths, and law also seem to be popular among Law students.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by itsnero
What would be a good subject to do? History, English Lit.. etc?

Id take both of those if possible.
Other subjects to consider are economics, a language (e.g. french or spanish), sociology or geography.
Law usually doesnt specify any subjects - what they do want is mega-high grades.
So, pick subjects where you feel confident of a high grade, and that's usually subjects you really enjoy.

Many Law applicants have taken A levels in History, Politics, Psychology or Sociology. All are useful, and they often give you relevant areas to talk about in your Personal Statement.
Reply 5
Original post by Michiyo
Take both.

Economics, a language, Maths, and law also seem to be popular among Law students.

Original post by Emma:-)
Id take both of those if possible.
Other subjects to consider are economics, a language (e.g. french or spanish), sociology or geography.

Original post by rosie.mn
History if you love and enjoy it. You will find it very hard if you do not enjoy this subject. English Lit is also your best choice.
Taking both is common of many law students as they are probably the most highly regarded humanities subjects. Taking two would be a good option as it would maximise your essay writing skills and prepare you well for a law course at Uni.

Well, I'm planning on only taking one since I'm stronger in the sciences. Would I be able to do A Level Eng Lit without any experience in GCSE?
Original post by itsnero
Well, I'm planning on only taking one since I'm stronger in the sciences. Would I be able to do A Level Eng Lit without any experience in GCSE?

That's fine, but you may find yourself less prepared. Yes, I would have thought so. Colleges take into consideration the fact that not all high schools offer these subjects, so you should be fine. As long as you're a brilliant essay writer and enjoy analysing texts, English Lit is only a moderately hard A level.
Reply 7
Original post by rosie.mn
That's fine, but you may find yourself less prepared. Yes, I would have thought so. Colleges take into consideration the fact that not all high schools offer these subjects, so you should be fine. As long as you're a brilliant essay writer and enjoy analysing texts, English Lit is only a moderately hard A level.

Do you think I'd be able to self-study it (since it's not taught at my school) with some private tutoring?
Original post by itsnero
Do you think I'd be able to self-study it (since it's not taught at my school) with some private tutoring?

I'm not sure. To an extent, yes I'm sure it would be possible.
The one you will get the best grade in. There is no harm in doing law, unless the Uni prefers you not to, it doesnt give your application any advantage. I think History is an ideal subject, but grade matters the most.
Original post by itsnero

Entering for the NEA ( coursework) would be a real problem. Pick subjects you can do at school and think you can do well in, more than one essay subject is absolutely not necessary.
Original post by itsnero

You should be fine doing english lit at a-level if you havent done it at gcse. Not all schools do it at gcse.
How about geography as well?
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
You should be fine doing english lit at a-level if you havent done it at gcse. Not all schools do it at gcse.
How about geography as well?

That would be a nice option, but is it as strong as history essay-wise?
Original post by itsnero

It would be fine. A modern language is also good enough - I know several people who have gone to top universities to read Law having not studied a classic 'essay subject'.
Original post by itsnero

Id say maybe not quite as strong as history- but its certainly up there with decent subjects to take. You cant go far wrong with it put it that way.
I did it myself and loved it.
Reply 15
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest