The Student Room Group

Study: UK youth suffer low 'mental wellbeing'

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
I can't say I'm surprised. I remember one of my teachers telling me how when she first came to this country from Switzerland, she was shocked at just how often teenagers get tested here. Because we do SATs in Year 6 and they convince us it means everything and then you get to secondary school and you get GCSEs and then you get A levels which have become even harder with reforms. On top of that, there's still a huge taboo about teenage mental health and we're constantly in a world full of trends/distorted images of how we're meant to look.

I'm not shocked about Japan but I thought maybe South Korea would've tied with them.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its also interesting how right-wing the French youth appear to be.

29% don't believe the transgenders should have the same rights as non-transgenders. (20% in UK)
55% believe in free speech in all circumstances. (Same as UK)
Almost exactly as many French youth think that the government should be stricter on immigration, as opposed to those who disagree. (But 5% difference in the UK).
21% believe the French government is doing too much to help refugees (despite France doing comparitively little already). (10% in UK)
Only 27% believe that ending prejudice would make the greatest difference in uniting people (33% in the UK).
Only 13% of French said that religion and faith made them optimistic for the future (22% in the UK)
50% of French said that the spread of democracy and human rights did not make them optimistic for the future (27% in UK)
41% of French said that the greater connection of people across the world did not make them optimistic (25% in UK)

Good, the future might be looking up with how right wing some of our children are, We have gone too far left and the right are now fighting back
Yeah not surprised, the kids are ****ed.
Original post by AperfectBalance
We have gone too far left and the right are now fighting back

Except we haven't had a left wing government in over 3 decades.
But the centre ground has moved much more 'leftwards' (as in 'progressive':wink: in the last few generations. Would Churchill recognise David Cameron's government as conservative?

Maybe not on social issues, given for example that homosexuality was illegal during Churchill's time. But that's more of a liberal v authoritarian issue than a left v right one.
im so surprised
I don't really agree with this (Alex's) rather ham-fisted argument, but I'd be interested to hear your views on it.

You're just telling porkies now, stop with these boar-ing wordplays on my username :wink:
Reply 8
Amazing that less than half of young people believe in free speech...upsetting too. Interesting to note that Turkey (which has high-level free speech issues) has the highest percentage of people who believe in free speech. Perhaps in the west its not so much of an issue so people don't actively believe in it.
Reply 9
Or perhaps Western youth are more aware of the dangers of free speech?

Do you think? I'd say for most its a point of apathy rather than genuine philosophical objections
The attack on the Bataclan must have influenced French young people especially in Paris where many of the 'liberals' are.
Where's the mention of the social media accounts and selfie obsessions? And cyber bullying too? Pretty sure "mental wellbeing " has less to do with politics
Its the culture of rampant nihilistic individualism which is the biggie. If you go on to any high street restaurant and you will see often very large groups of blacks/arabs/asians. English people tend to eat and drink alone because it has become the cultural norm for the state to replace the family; very often they are divorced or their elderly relatives are in home or they simply dont interact with their neighbours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending