The Student Room Group

Condemning Islamic sectarianism.

Another 2 bombs today targeting Muslim minorities, Shia in Iraq and Sufis in Pakistan, have killed around 80 people.

As of now, there isn't a single post on ISOC condemning the attacks, although there are regular condemnations when Sunnis are attacked.

Isn't it about time people were honest about their position and either:
1. Categorically and unequivocally condemn all and every deliberate attack on non-combattants, whoever they are or
2. Admit that they aren't really that bothered when the victims follow "deviant beliefs", or somesuch justification.

I invite people to respond with either 1 or 2.
(Although I fully expect certain posters (you know who you are) to claim that it isn't that simple, and avoid the issue. Again.)

Just to get the ball rolling, I am a great big 1.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because the majority of them are sunni.
And Shiahs are so weird because they hit themselves, right? /s
Original post by QE2
Another 2 bombs today targeting Muslim minorities, Shia in Iraq and Sufis in Pakistan, have killed around 80 people.

As of now, there isn't a single post on ISOC condemning the attacks, although there are regular condemnations when Sunnis are attacked.

Isn't it about time people were honest about their position and either:
1. Categorically and unequivocally condemn all and every deliberate attack on non-combattants, whoever they are or
2. Admit that they aren't really that bothered when the victims follow "deviant beliefs", or somesuch justification.

I invite people to respond with either 1 or 2.
(Although I fully expect certain posters (you know who you are) to claim that it isn't that simple, and avoid the issue. Again.)

Just to get the ball rolling, I am a great big 1.

Sigh... You can't expect us to keep on top of every single attack, in case you didn't realise there are a lot of them lol.

and quite frankly I have better thing to concern myself with.
Reply 3
Why should we condemn lol I didn't do ****
People die every day. Instead of pretending you give a **** by changing a profile picture or retweeting something why not just carry on with life
Not to mention I don't see QE2 and others who pretend to care condemning when Muslim civilians are killed by NATO airstrikes...
Reply 6
Original post by AishaGirl
Sigh... You can't expect us to keep on top of every single attack, in case you didn't realise there are a lot of them lol.

Mashallah you're actually really pretty
You can not expect Muslims to condemn every terrorist attack by their fellow Muslim, it would be a full time job.

They condemn attacks on non-Muslims all the time.

Hence, whether shias are muslim or not is irrelevant.

Also, lack of condemning does not mean condoning.
Original post by zezno
Mashallah you're actually really pretty

Thank you akhi :smile:
Original post by Cherub012
They condemn attacks on non-Muslims all the time.

Hence, whether shias are muslim or not is irrelevant.

Also, lack of condemning does not mean condoning.

Precisely
Not to mention I don't see QE2 and others who pretend to care condemning when Muslim civilians are killed by NATO airstrikes...

I share comparable beliefs to QE2 about Islam, and I condemn all such airstrikes.
I'm Shia myself, and do not expect Sunni Muslims to condemn every single sectarian attack carried out against Shias. In the same way, Muslims should not be expected to outrightly condemn every terrorist act carried out by a Muslim against Non Muslims just to prove that they don't condone such actions.
Original post by _gcx
I share comparable beliefs to QE2 about Islam, and I condemn all such airstrikes.

Then make a thread or a post every time one happens and condemn it out loud so everyone knows you condemn it. That's essentially what QE2 is asking for lol...
Then make a thread or a post every time one happens and condemn it out loud so everyone knows you condemn it. That's essentially what QE2 is asking for lol...

Lol, sure.
Reply 15
To be honest, I'm surprised that almost everyone managed to avoid a simple, unequivocal statement of condemnnation of all deliberate attacks against non-combattants. I really thought more people would be able to overcome their sectarianism and vendettas and historical and modern animosities.
Reply 16

I see posts on ISOC condemning minor attacks that barely make the news. These two have been plastered all over the landing pages, and on the radio all day. The death toll is over 100 now. Are you seriously claiming that no one on ISOC has heard about them? A call a big pile of stinky ******** on that!

And you do realise that you spent more time saying that you have better things to do than you would have spent typing a 1 or 2.
Non-combatants shouldn't be harmed
Reply 18
Original post by zezno
Why should we condemn lol I didn't do ****
You seem to be making that all too common mistake of confusing "condemn" with "apologise".

It is a ridiculous argument to claim that you only need to condemn things that you are guilty of committing yourself!
Jeez! *smh*
Original post by QE2
I see posts on ISOC condemning minor attacks that barely make the news. These two have been plastered all over the landing pages, and on the radio all day. The death toll is over 100 now. Are you seriously claiming that no one on ISOC has heard about them? A call a big pile of stinky ******** on that!

And you do realise that you spent more time saying that you have better things to do than you would have spent typing a 1 or 2.

Somehow I feel typing 1 would not make any difference... You can't expect Muslims to condemn every single attack, some of us get our news from different sites and at different times.

I'm sure it's been condemned somewhere if you look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending