The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plutojupitermars
Did they really do ALL the interviews on those 2 days? Are you sure?

Hi! Yes, I believe they did them all on January 24th and 25th. When I got my invitation to interview, I asked them if there were any other dates earlier in January because I would miss two weeks of University in the USA if I stayed in England to interview. They told me there were no earlier dates and the only other available date was January 25th. I don't think any of the other interviewees in the A102 forum interviewed on the 23rd or any other date because others were told the same thing I was, but there's always a chance I could be wrong.

Also, to comment on the process KCL uses to make offers, we were told after our MMI session that the decisions were holistic--they evaluate interview performance as well as UKCAT/achieved or predicted grades/personal statement in determining to whom they will offer spots on the course. This could be just for A102, but I find it unlikely that they use different processes to determine offers and rejections for A102 and A100.
Original post by StationToStation
Ah thanks for tagging me lol! Here's what I posted a while ago:

"I went to a talk this summer and the girl there (she had graduated from King's but wasn't there to promote the uni or anything) said it's largely because it's such a big year. You don't get to know everyone and might feel lost and alone and you get quite little individual attention from the staff. I think she also said that the student's union is crap. I've heard from elsewhere that King's is quite disorganized and for example lectures get often cancelled without anyone informing the students beforehand. The girl said that she had the time of her life though and while these things can be annoying they matter relatively little in everyday life. :smile: "

@Hoiiz

Remember to bear in mind that if she was a graduate, her experience of the medical degree is at least 5 years difference in time to what your experience will be. The entire curriculum has changed, and the Dean of the Medical School has changed twice since she was a fresher. We haven't had a single lecture cancellation this year - a lot can change in 5 years. Although I do agree with your comments about the large year group, and of course, everything is subjective. So what I perceive to be well organised could be perceived as poor organisationally from another person's perspective. :smile:
Original post by reneranger13
Remember to bear in mind that if she was a graduate, her experience of the medical degree is at least 5 years difference in time to what your experience will be. The entire curriculum has changed, and the Dean of the Medical School has changed twice since she was a fresher. We haven't had a single lecture cancellation this year - a lot can change in 5 years. Although I do agree with your comments about the large year group, and of course, everything is subjective. So what I perceive to be well organised could be perceived as poor organisationally from another person's perspective. :smile:

Yeah that's definitely true - it might partly explain the low student satisfaction in previous years (which the girl commented on), although from what I've gathered King's has recently made lots of efforts to address the issues students raise. :smile:
Anone waiting for 7:30 again? 😂
Original post by Elliee_98
Anone waiting for 7:30 again? 😂

Me of course :redface:
Deaddd
Nothing. See you guys on monday then lol
Monday there could be something so gta be patientt
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results... :sigh:
Original post by teenvan
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results... :sigh:

But it's not insane if we're doing it on different days every time.
Original post by jcrafty
Hi! Yes, I believe they did them all on January 24th and 25th. When I got my invitation to interview, I asked them if there were any other dates earlier in January because I would miss two weeks of University in the USA if I stayed in England to interview. They told me there were no earlier dates and the only other available date was January 25th. I don't think any of the other interviewees in the A102 forum interviewed on the 23rd or any other date because others were told the same thing I was, but there's always a chance I could be wrong.

Also, to comment on the process KCL uses to make offers, we were told after our MMI session that the decisions were holistic--they evaluate interview performance as well as UKCAT/achieved or predicted grades/personal statement in determining to whom they will offer spots on the course. This could be just for A102, but I find it unlikely that they use different processes to determine offers and rejections for A102 and A100.

My group had an American guy. Were you him? I was in the very first group that day I think. The one where they ran out of water bottles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know everyone has probably been told this already at some point, but don't stress out about how long it's taking for them to send out offers.

Everyone here has worked incredibly hard on and stressed over their applications, but that bit is over (unless you have yet to do an interview). They'll give out offers to everybody when they can make sure it will be fair to every applicant applying. If it means an extra few weeks of waiting, so be it; we all know how it feels to not have a direct goal to work for, in this case getting the grades to get into med school after receiving an offer, but it just upsets me a little that people are stressing so much.

Chill out :smile:
Reply 2192
Is medicine taught via a system-based approach at king's or is it subject-based? Thanks!
Original post by HMarles
I know everyone has probably been told this already at some point, but don't stress out about how long it's taking for them to send out offers.

Everyone here has worked incredibly hard on and stressed over their applications, but that bit is over (unless you have yet to do an interview). They'll give out offers to everybody when they can make sure it will be fair to every applicant applying. If it means an extra few weeks of waiting, so be it; we all know how it feels to not have a direct goal to work for, in this case getting the grades to get into med school after receiving an offer, but it just upsets me a little that people are stressing so much.

Chill out :smile:

Exactly. There's nothing we can do except focus on getting good A Levels now.
Original post by aqua_
Is medicine taught via a system-based approach at king's or is it subject-based? Thanks!

Hi, I think students on the new curriculum are learning in the subject-based approach. You might want to check with someone who's in 1st year right now!
I am really struggling to find information about the specific teaching methods. Does anyone have a link or know how to find this kind of information?
Original post by scrapworlder
Hi, do you have to do anything before the interview (e.g. upload certificates online)?
And do you have to bring any documents to the interview (e.g. birth certificate), as they only asked to bring our passports to the interview and nothing else.

Thanks

Just your passport :smile:
You might also want a small bottle of water
Reply 2197
Got an offer on Thursday after an interview in January
Original post by mkg99
Got an offer on Thursday after an interview in January

Wait what?! Really! Congrats! Thought there were no offers last week Wednesday onwards
Reply 2199
Original post by Elliee_98
Wait what?! Really! Congrats! Thought there were no offers last week Wednesday onwards

Yep! Thank you, I was very shocked! Thought I was shaky in interview so I pushed Iitto the back of my mind and wasn't expecting it at all. When I saw the e-mail I was relaxing on a school trip in NY:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending