The Student Room Group

Dropping A-level Chemistry

I am a first year A-level student currently studying Politics, Physics, history of Art and Chemistry.
I chose to do 4 A-levels instead of 3 at the start of the year knowing that I have to drop one at the end of the AS year. I originally thought that I should drop politics as it was the one A-level that I didn't think I would do too great on, so I chose it for the experience rather than the qualification.

However I've started to reconsider because Politics is currently my strongest A-level, alongside History of Art as Im predicted As/A*s in both as well as a B in physics yet an E in chemistry. So now I want to drop Chemistry as it is by far my weakest subject but its a linear course and I wont get any qualifications for it at the end of the year, which would not be too great as I would have wasted so much time for nothing while sacrificing time that could have gone to other A levels.

Is there anyway for me to get the AS chemistry qualifications without dropping any other subjects?
Nope. Unless it's modular but it's not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CptZd
I am a first year A-level student currently studying Politics, Physics, history of Art and Chemistry.
I chose to do 4 A-levels instead of 3 at the start of the year knowing that I have to drop one at the end of the AS year. I originally thought that I should drop politics as it was the one A-level that I didn't think I would do too great on, so I chose it for the experience rather than the qualification.

However I've started to reconsider because Politics is currently my strongest A-level, alongside History of Art as Im predicted As/A*s in both as well as a B in physics yet an E in chemistry. So now I want to drop Chemistry as it is by far my weakest subject but its a linear course and I wont get any qualifications for it at the end of the year, which would not be too great as I would have wasted so much time for nothing while sacrificing time that could have gone to other A levels.

Is there anyway for me to get the AS chemistry qualifications without dropping any other subjects?

Ask to be entered into the AS exams, if not then sit them privately. AS's still exist as stand alone qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by HopelessMedic
Ask to be entered into the AS exams, if not then sit them privately. AS's still exist as stand alone qualifications.

Where could I do them privately? I don't think my Sixth form offers any sort of AS science exams.
Original post by CptZd
Where could I do them privately? I don't think my Sixth form offers any sort of AS science exams.

If your school ( like many atm) aren't entering you into AS exams, then you would have to do them at an exam centre i believe. There's no harm in asking the persona who coordinates the exams at your school about you could take the exams.
Reply 5
If your school ( like many atm) aren't entering you into AS exams, then you would have to do them at an exam centre i believe. There's no harm in asking the persona who coordinates the exams at your school about you could take the exams.

Thanks so much for the help, Ill be sure to ask my college for furthur advice, but I have been looking online and some websites claim that the dealine for AS exam applications have passed, when are they usually on? Is it frequent or do I have to wait till next year if I cannot do them this year?
Original post by CptZd
Thanks so much for the help, Ill be sure to ask my college for furthur advice, but I have been looking online and some websites claim that the dealine for AS exam applications have passed, when are they usually on? Is it frequent or do I have to wait till next year if I cannot do them this year?

I really don't know about the deadlines, sorry. The exams are once a year in June only.
Reply 7
I really don't know about the deadlines, sorry. The exams are once a year in June only.

Thats alright, thanks for all the advice.
Original post by CptZd

We do almost the same options (I'm in year 12, and I do Chemistry, Politics, History and Art) and I feel exactly the same about chemistry. I am currently predicted Bs in History and Politics, a C in Art, but an E in chemistry. I'm planning to drop chemistry after the AS exam, so if you are looking for advice, that's what I'd say to do if possible. I'm aiming to do the AS exam because I feel like I would have wasted a whole year if I dropped it now (which is possible at my school, I don't know about others).
I would also look into seeing if it is possible to take all four forward, as an E is still a pass at A level (although uni possibilities may be slim with a grade like that lmao) however if that isn't possible at your school then I definitely think looking into an AS level in it would be useful for you.

Quick Reply

Latest