The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3780
Original post by Jamz115
I made an interesting discovery today .... I know someone awaiting a formal offer for Glasgow. He contacted them at the end of the January requesting to know where he was on the merit list to be placed - they told him 3rd. They contacted him again yesterday after another request and to his Shock - he was now 23rd! What appears to be happening is more and more successful applicants are dropped into the deployment pool and therefore flood it - existing people waiting are " shunted down" the list. Just an observation that may be of interest to people.

Or may be they just realised he is your friend, hence stopping him from joining the department at all cost.
Reply 3781
Just got this by e-mail and on the CS Jobs Portal. First official update since Monday 19 December 2016.

Re: CSR/2066/15 - Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer and Officer Caseworker.

The vacancy holder for the above HMRC campaign has asked us to provide an update on your application and they have provided the following message.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work through the recruitment process for the above campaign, which is part of one of the largest recruitment exercises in the department’s history.

We are sorry that it is taking longer than expected to go through the pre-employment checking/appointment process and appreciate this may have caused frustration for you.

We want you to have the best possible experience when you join us but we are currently dealing with accommodation issues in your preferred location and are working to resolve these as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this does mean that we can’t confirm arrangements for your appointment at this time. Once again, we are sorry for the delay and will keep you updated with progress.

Kind regards,

CS Resourcing Recruitment Team on behalf of HMRC.
Reply 3782
Original post by ERush
Just got this by e-mail and on the CS Jobs Portal. First official update since Monday 19 December 2016.

Re: CSR/2066/15 - Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer and Officer Caseworker.

The vacancy holder for the above HMRC campaign has asked us to provide an update on your application and they have provided the following message.

Thank you for your continued patience as we work through the recruitment process for the above campaign, which is part of one of the largest recruitment exercises in the department’s history.

We are sorry that it is taking longer than expected to go through the pre-employment checking/appointment process and appreciate this may have caused frustration for you.

We want you to have the best possible experience when you join us but we are currently dealing with accommodation issues in your preferred location and are working to resolve these as soon as possible. Unfortunately, this does mean that we can’t confirm arrangements for your appointment at this time. Once again, we are sorry for the delay and will keep you updated with progress.

Kind regards,

CS Resourcing Recruitment Team on behalf of HMRC.

I got the same email, no mention of 'natural waste' or them not honouring the provisional offer. A rough timescale would have helped though.
What I said the phone number for the recruitment team can anyone remember?
Dagoro - as you are Liverpool have you received the email citing accommodation issues or the one just asking for patience?
Reply 3785
I got the same email. Not going to lie when i seen the email come through i **** my pants a little thinking it was a formal offer. Im waiting for Liverpool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As someone who has been cautious about HMRC's approach in all correspondence so far I do believe the e-mail received today may represent a game changer because it does speak about whens and not ifs - in a more definitive way than has been the case up until now. So I do think there is reason for everyone to be much more optimistic BUT BUT ... government is government and the public sector is the public sector so nothing is certain until you are in it but it does represent a different tone and attitude from HMRC which is encouraging.
Reply 3787
Original post by Jamz115
As someone who has been cautious about HMRC's approach in all correspondence so far I do believe the e-mail received today may represent a game changer because it does speak about whens and not ifs - in a more definitive way than has been the case up until now. So I do think there is reason for everyone to be much more optimistic BUT BUT ... government is government and the public sector is the public sector so nothing is certain until you are in it but it does represent a different tone and attitude from HMRC which is encouraging.

You feeling OK Jamz? :gasp:
Original post by ID07
You feeling OK Jamz? :gasp:

Well I am simply reflecting the fact there has been a change in tone from HMRC. There had been no such tone up until this point but there was more definitive language in the e-mail issued yesterday. I have taken the stance I have taken up until now because previous communications were not definitive, reassuring or promisable in any way.
Original post by Jamz115
Well I am simply reflecting the fact there has been a change in tone from HMRC. There had been no such tone up until this point but there was more definitive language in the e-mail issued yesterday. I have taken the stance I have taken up until now because previous communications were not definitive, reassuring or promisable in any way.

Except for the email we got in December which said that all provisional offer holders who had completed PEC will be getting a formal offer? Nah, that wasn't "definitive, reassuring or promisable in any way"...
Original post by dc850208
Dagoro - as you are Liverpool have you received the email citing accommodation issues or the one just asking for patience?

I got exactly the same email as ERush above citing accommodation issues. I was really surprised - this is the very first email I've had off them with an update. I wonder if it's because the union are involved? Also, did you see this FOI request?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tax_professional_operational_del#incoming-958221
Original post by dagoro1
I got exactly the same email as ERush above citing accommodation issues. I was really surprised - this is the very first email I've had off them with an update. I wonder if it's because the union are involved? Also, did you see this FOI request?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tax_professional_operational_del#incoming-958221

There's no question about the issue being anything other than no available desks. That is clearly the hold up but to suggest that situation is going to be rectified within a few months is optimistic and naive to say the least. The only way this situation will be resolved ie. significant clearing of the backlog waiting to start is by HMRC renting temporary accommodation. Someone already confirmed regarding Glasgow that HMRC had looked at that possibility but had ruled it out for now due to cost concerns. In Govt speak - they know it's the only solution and will be the only solution but will look at other options first ie. wait for natural turnover in staff over the short- medium term (6-12months) retirements maternity leave resignations etc before they do what they actually should be doing now and probably sanction the temporary accommodation as a last resort. The natural turnover option will make room for some appointments in the coming months but will be a drop in the ocean in relation to the number of people currently sitting waiting for a formal offer.
Original post by Jamz115
There's no question about the issue being anything other than no available desks. That is clearly the hold up but to suggest that situation is going to be rectified within a few months is optimistic and naive to say the least. The only way this situation will be resolved ie. significant clearing of the backlog waiting to start is by HMRC renting temporary accommodation. Someone already confirmed regarding Glasgow that HMRC had looked at that possibility but had ruled it out for now due to cost concerns. In Govt speak - they know it's the only solution and will be the only solution but will look at other options first ie. wait for natural turnover in staff over the short- medium term (6-12months) retirements maternity leave resignations etc before they do what they actually should be doing now and probably sanction the temporary accommodation as a last resort. The natural turnover option will make room for some appointments in the coming months but will be a drop in the ocean in relation to the number of people currently sitting waiting for a formal offer.

Yes I think you're probably right. But there's nearly 200 on the reserve lists just for Liverpool - it's going to be a hell of a long wait if they're waiting for natural turnover...
Original post by dagoro1
Yes I think you're probably right. But there's nearly 200 on the reserve lists just for Liverpool - it's going to be a hell of a long wait if they're waiting for natural turnover...

Yes hence why common sense should be prevailing on this matter. - however HMRC doesn't appear to operate according to common sense
Original post by dagoro1

We're pretty full in our office, you need to remember that TSP near misses have been given roles too (like me), not just the campaigns in that FOI request
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kneale
We're pretty full in our office, you need to remember that TSP near misses have been given roles too (like me), not just the campaigns in that FOI request

This was always the big problem. Failed candidates for another job shouldn't have been shunted in ahead of proper candidates for these roles. Compromises the integrity of the competitions and the organisation as a whole.
Original post by Jamz115
This was always the big problem. Failed candidates for another job shouldn't have been shunted in ahead of proper candidates for these roles. Compromises the integrity of the competitions and the organisation as a whole.

I disagree, I'm just as capable as a 'proper candidate' thank you!, I am not considered a failed candidate by anyone who I work with. I applied for TSP 2016 back in September 2015 and started December 2016, so 15 months overall, several campaigns started after I'd applied for the TSP so I don't consider myself to have jumped any queue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kneale
I disagree, I'm just as capable as a 'proper candidate' thank you!, I am not considered a failed candidate by anyone who I work with. I applied for TSP 2016 back in September 2015 and started December 2016, so 15 months overall, several campaigns started after I'd applied for the TSP so I don't consider myself to have jumped any queue.

Some people applied September 2015 and are still waiting but anyway I wasn't questioning your capability - only the integrity of the competitions to allow candidates who don't make the grade in 1 competition to jump ahead of actual candidates in another competition
Reply 3798
Original post by Jamz115
Some people applied September 2015 and are still waiting but anyway I wasn't questioning your capability - only the integrity of the competitions to allow candidates who don't make the grade in 1 competition to jump ahead of actual candidates in another competition

You also have to take account of the fact that the tsp programme was to employ prospective grade 7s whereas the other campaigns were for HOs and Os. So whilst the tsp candidates may just have missed the grade 7 role, they may be far more qualified for the HO and O roles than some of the other candidates, and therefore be employed instead of them.
[QUOTE="Sljca;70734772"]You also have to take account of the fact that the tsp programme was to employ prospective grade 7s whereas the other campaigns were for HOs and Os. So whilst the tsp candidates may just have missed the grade 7 role, they may be far more qualified for the HO and O roles than some of the other candidates, and therefore be employed instead of them.[/QUOTE

Point is that wasn't what they applied for. It's a point of principle integrity and equality. I wasn't guaranteed an AO role if I had missed out on these grades by virtue of the fact I was " over qualified " so the same should apply in this case.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending