The Student Room Group

Should euthanasia be legalised in the UK?

Hi,

I'm planning on doing an EPQ on euthanasia, and as part of some primary research, I wanted to find out what people's opinions on euthanasia are. I also want to see if an individual's age would impact their decision, and so want to find out what other students think or feel regarding this topic. So if you don't mind, could you please fill this out or share your views and post your comment anonymously or private message me (for protection of participant purposes but I won't be sharing any usernames or anything anyway! (: ). Just provide your age (if you wish but if you don't, that's also fine as I can still use this information for public opinions on euthanasia.)

Below are some questions to prompt some thought, but you are more than welcome to just express your opinion. There is no right or wrong answer, and I appreciate any responses. Thank you.

1) What do you think euthanasia is?

2) Do you agree with euthanasia?

3) If euthanasia was legalised, should there be an age requirement/limit imposed? I.E, child/teen/adult, etc. How old must you be to decide?

4) If euthanasia was legal, would an individual under 18 be refused euthanasia? Would someone else be able to give consent?

5) Do you feel that euthanasia should be legalised in the UK?

6) Do you feel that euthanasia should be legalised for certain people, and not everyone? I.E, for mental health patients, disabled patients, prisoners on life sentences, any types of prisoners etc. Please state your views.

7) Do you feel that euthanasia should be provided for patients suffering from a disease, of which there is a cure?

8) Do you feel that mental health is a serious enough issue, in order for euthanasia to be considered?

9) Is it fair to refuse someone euthanasia?

10) Is it fair to let someone die by euthanasia?

Above are questions to prompt thought, but it is not a requirement of anyone to answer all of the questions. Any answer is appreciated, and if you don't want to participate, you aren't compelled to.

Thank you for your time and help. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Assisted suicide

I don't know. Kinda

3) If euthanasia was legalised, should there be an age requirement/limit imposed? I.E, child/teen/adult, etc. How old must you be to decide?
Idk if its fair for a child or teen to go through it cos theyre still small.

4) If euthanasia was legal, would an individual under 18 be refused euthanasia? Would someone else be able to give consent?
Same answer as one before. And someone else can't agree with it cos its not their life.

Yes

6) Do you feel that euthanasia should be legalised for certain people, and not everyone? I.E, for mental health patients, disabled patients, prisoners on life sentences, any types of prisoners etc. Please state your views.
Depends on person

7) Do you feel that euthanasia should be provided for patients suffering from a disease, of which there is a cure?
yes but idk cos they might feel better. We should work on alternatives. If there is a cure, we should treat them.

8) Do you feel that mental health is a serious enough issue, in order for euthanasia to be considered?

Depends on severity of mental health. Not to acute anxiety but maybe in long term depression. But someone can always get better.

no

idk

I'm 17 btw
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Assited suicide
2. No
Hence all answers thereafter are pretty straightforward.
I'm 18.

The role of a doctor is to save lives. Why should a doctor have the right to end a life? So no, i'm a against it.
Original post by icantdabproperly
I'm 18.

The role of a doctor is to save lives. Why should a doctor have the right to end a life? So no, i'm a against it.

But doctors have to have empathy and they have to be compassionate. Their patients may be in a lot of pain and the doctor has to understand that. By not allowing euthanasia, the patient may have to live in pain for the rest of their life. It's not fair for them to live in pain. So euthanasia should be legal in the UK.
I'm 21.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you. All responses are appreciated.
Reply 6
Original post by #_#

1-assisted suicide and variations
2-in some cases, yes
3-age limit, no, medical severity requirement, yes
4-as above
5-yes, but that doesn't mean it should be easy to achieve
6-only where necessary to relieve suffering
7-it should be an option that they can select, but it shouldn't be promoted
8-too broad a subject
9-define 'fair' in context
10-as above
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
1-assisted suicide and variations
2-in some cases, yes
3-age limit, no, medical severity requirement, yes
4-as above
5-yes, but that doesn't mean it should be easy to achieve
6-only where necessary to relieve suffering
7-it should be an option that they can select, but it shouldn't be promoted
8-too broad a subject
9-define 'fair' in context
10-as above

Thank you for your response. I apologise for not clarifying it enough.
Fair, as in, morally acceptable. Is it morally acceptable to refuse someone suicide?
Is it morally acceptable to let someone undergo suicide?

For number 8, mental health. Do you feel that patient's suffering from anorexia perhaps, depression, suicidal thinking, obsessions, etc should have euthanasia as an option, under any circumstances?

Also, if you don't mind, would you be able to share your age?
Reply 8
Thank you for your response.
Ending of someones life to prevent further suffering and pain. There must be consent.

Yes

No limit

Anyone should be left to do it but must have consent fromantic a doctor and the patient and parent if under 18.

Yes

Prisoners for life - no.
Any others would need medical advice for best course of action e.g. palliative care get be better.

No if they can get better then no euthanasia

Mental illness is difficult as it is difficult to understand the severity of the illness so it might be oover estimated or underestimated. It is not that it isn't a serious enough issue it is just that diagnosis is to difficult and for someone in a unstable mental state to make such a a big descion in hard.

Depends. If no chance for recovery no. If everything recovery yes.

Yes. If they have given consent

I'm 17.
Assisted suicide, usually when someone is suffering from a non-curable disease.
Yes, it should be someone's decision whether they die.

18. If the person had a disease since birth, I think 18 would be a good age to understand whether they'd want to continue living with it. Perhaps there could be special circumstances for children, but I'm not sure how that would work.
Read above.

Yes.

For individuals who suffer from an uncurable, permanent illness which prevents them from normally functioning within society - I recognise this is broad, but it's would be better than listing every disease (as, inevitably, a rare disease would arise which wasn't on the list, meaning they couldn't receive euthanasia).

Read above.

Depends on how greatly it affects your ability to function.

Depends on the circumstances.

Yes.

I'm 17.
Reply 11
Original post by Mathemagicien
1) Assisted suicide
2) Yes
3) Yes; 16+guardian permission, 18 otherwise
4) Yes; yes (e.g. if in vegetative state)
5) Yes
6) Everyone except mental health patients, who we should stop ignoring
7) Yes, sometimes the cure itself is crippling, or comes too late
8) ~
9) ~
10) ~Yes

Thank you for your response. As with euthanasia being assisted suicide, are you aware of the different types of euthanasia, involving: active euthanasia (in which the patient's death is deliberately caused, by an injection or pain killer overdose), passive euthanasia (where they don't directly take the patient's life and patients are allowed to just die- i.e by withholding treatment (e.g not performing an important surgery) or withdrawing treatment (e.g switching off a machine to let someone die) .
Reply 12
Thank you to everyone for their responses; I appreciate it
Original post by #_#

1) What do you think euthanasia is? Killing an ill person or animal

2) Do you agree with euthanasia? Only if requested by the person being killed

3) If euthanasia was legalised, should there be an age requirement/limit imposed? I.E, child/teen/adult, etc. How old must you be to decide? No

4) If euthanasia was legal, would an individual under 18 be refused euthanasia? Would someone else be able to give consent? Yes, but yes.

6) Do you feel that euthanasia should be legalised for certain people, and not everyone? I.E, for mental health patients, disabled patients, prisoners on life sentences, any types of prisoners etc. Please state your views. Should be available, in the form of assisted suicide, for all that request it.

7) Do you feel that euthanasia should be provided for patients suffering from a disease, of which there is a cure? depends on the circumstances.

8) Do you feel that mental health is a serious enough issue, in order for euthanasia to be considered? No.

9) Is it fair to refuse someone euthanasia? Possibly.

10) Is it fair to let someone die by euthanasia? Yes.

Above are questions to prompt thought, but it is not a requirement of anyone to answer all of the questions. Any answer is appreciated, and if you don't want to participate, you aren't compelled to.

Thank you for your time and help. :smile:

I am shocked at the naivety of those who think euthanasia is merely assisted suicide. Its dictionary definition is:

the practice of killing someone who is very ill and will never get better in order to end their suffering, usually done at their request or with their consent.

Note the word usually.

I am strongly in favour of legalising assisted suicide, but not euthanasia generally.

I suggest you read Anthony Trollope's novel The Fixed Period.
Reply 14
Original post by Good bloke
I am shocked at the naivety of those who think euthanasia is merely assisted suicide. Its dictionary definition is:

the practice of killing someone who is very ill and will never get better in order to end their suffering, usually done at their request or with their consent.

Note the word usually.

I am strongly in favour of legalising assisted suicide, but not euthanasia generally.

I suggest you read Anthony Trollope's novel The Fixed Period.

Thank you very much
Reply 15
Additionally, and this is an optional question, but does anyone have religious views regarding this topic?
Its their life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
What about the right to die with dignity?

Sorry, I copied and pasted that from somewhere so I could respond to it and argue against it. I agree with euthanasia
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/28/panel-clears-dutch-doctor-asked-family-hold-patient-carried/

This woman fought. Fought and struggled to -not- be murdered by the Doctor, who was cleared for 'Acting in good faith'.

I disagree with euthanasia.
Original post by #_#
Additionally, and this is an optional question, but does anyone have religious views regarding this topic?

Religion, like all other irrational beliefs and superstitions, should be kept well away from both morality and law-making. My right to end my own life when I choose should not be hampered in any way by some other person's superstitious beliefs, which are usually derived from ancient books written precisely to influence the political and personal behaviour of the people reading them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending