The Student Room Group

Best Cheap Car Insurance For Young Drivers Without a Black Box? How much do you pay?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find the best deal on my car insurance but without a black box. Reason being is that I don't want the fun taking out of driving, being slow, and having tailgaters all the time because of having to drive to the rules in stress. Its hard enough having to keep to the rules whilst there's a queue behind on your test. Luckily enough I passed first time on Thursday and now I'm looking for the cheapest quote for a non-black box insurance policy.

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to get one under £2000.

Thanks!

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:

www.moneysupermarket.com

confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Black box insurance would stress me out too.

Check the RAC - they offer free breakdown cover and cater for new young drivers: https://www.rac.co.uk/insurance/young-driver-insurance

If that doesn't get you a cheap quote, try searching:
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com

Apparently quotes aren't just about how risky you are as an individual, it's also about how much risk the insurance company has already taken on.

So for example if they already have way too many risky demographic people (like new young drivers) on their books, they'll whack up the quotes for new people - just because they don't want to throw out their risk profile. It's weird.

Hence why it makes sense to use a price comparison site.
(edited 5 years ago)
The standard practice is to add a parent or some relative as a main driver with you as a secondary driver. This knocks off a substantial amount and its what I done for the 1st few years of drivin.

Alternatively you could go with the black box things but stick it to your bicycle or grandmother. This is obviously risky coz its illegal but......
(edited 5 years ago)
I was with Tesco for my first year of driving. It cost me 900 quid to insure a 1.2 VW Polo, but I did have to have a black box. In all honesty though, it made absolutely no difference to my driving. I drove at all hours of the day and night, I drove over the speed limit on motorways, dual carriageways, country roads etc, I had a few incidents where I had to brake very suddenly to avoid hitting people who pulled out in front of me on roundabouts, and none of this ever got picked up by the box. I didn't get a score of less than 80% over all the months I had the box.

I'd just bite the bullet and get one for the first year, it's really hard to find reasonable insurance without one and it doesn't make much difference.

Probably worth mentioning I'm with Endsleigh now (second year of driving) and they only charged me 500 quid (no black box), so that might work out well for you depending on your car.
(edited 5 years ago)
Use Moneysupermarket to get your quotes - I insured a car for the first time last year (aged 17) and used this search engine and got the cheapest quotes - paid about £100 more for no black box - it was with Privilege car insurance - admittedly the renewal this year was a crazy price but I just did another search to find an alternative (cheaper) quote

Congrats on passing your test!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bad_moose
I was with Tesco for my first year of driving. It cost me 900 quid to insure a 1.2 VW Polo, but I did have to have a black box. In all honesty though, it made absolutely no difference to my driving. I drove at all hours of the day and night, I drove over the speed limit on motorways, dual carriageways, country roads etc, I had a few incidents where I had to brake very suddenly to avoid hitting people who pulled out in front of me on roundabouts, and none of this ever got picked up by the box. I didn't get a score of less than 80% over all the months I had the box.

I'd just bite the bullet and get one for the first year, it's really hard to find reasonable insurance without one and it doesn't make much difference.

Probably worth mentioning that I'm with Endsleigh now (second year of driving) and they only charged me 500 quid (no black box), so that might work out well for you depending on your car.

I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.

Why not though? It's almost always the cheapest way to get insured when you've just passed, and if you go with the right company it really doesn't change how you drive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bad_moose
Why not though? It's almost always the cheapest way to get insured when you've just passed, and if you go with the right company it really doesn't change how you drive.

They arent as cheap as people make out- in quite a few cases they are either more expensive or the same price.
They are prone to problems and can be more trouble than they are worth. And its not just little niggles either, big problems with them have been well documented.
And quite a few of the black box companies put restrictions on, such as what times you can use the car, mileage limits etc, which- depending on your circumstances arent possible for some people.
Reply 8
My daughter found go girl to be reasonable although it depends on the type of car, area you live in, etc.
Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I paid over £1900 for my first year of car insurance, how about you guys? I hear on the news some new drivers are paying £3-4k, surely not I think?

And also out of interest what car do you drive or did drive as your first car?

My first car was a Vauxhall Corsa, the old shape 1.0 litre engine. Never again as long as I live, with 5 people in the car (especially if it were all lads) it was difficult to say the least.

I am ashamed to admit I had a 'mad' sound system. A subwoofer and amp which took up most of the usable boot space, kind of like this but I only had one sub - which was more than enough trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7DuZKWGZhk

I have moved on since, I do not think my colleagues at my school would approve. However I do still struggle to get insurance as my current car is pretty powerful and most insurers in the UK declined to give me insurance because of my age and car.

What about yourselves?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Syed Institute
I paid over £1900 for my first year of car insurance, how about you guys? I hear on the news some new drivers are paying £3-4k, surely not I think?

My first car was a Vauxhall Corsa, the old shape 1.0 litre engine. Never again as long as I live, with 5 people in the car (especially if it were all lads) it was difficult to say the least.

I am ashamed to admit I had a 'mad' sound system. A subwoofer and amp which took up most of the usable boot space, kind of like this but I only had one sub - which was more than enough trust me.

I have moved on since, I do not think my colleagues at my school would approve. However I do still struggle to get insurance as my current car is pretty powerful and most insurers in the UK declined to give me insurance because of my age and car.

What about yourselves?

1.2l car, first year £2,200 - second year, £1,800.
One point six litre van cost me £3,000 a year when I first got insurance (rather than being named on somebody else's and practicing their car occasionally). I have a friend who got quoted £5,900 a year for a Ford Transit (with business use)
1.2tdi VW Polo 2011 £1100 on a 10 month policy with Admiral Littlebox. Isn't unreasonable. Adrian Flux quoted £1600 at the time with no box as well.

17 Years old
1.4 fiesta
1886£
No box
19 years old

Posted from TSR Mobile
First year £800
No box
three people business insurance
1.4 Mini one
Original post by Syed Institute

What about yourselves?

My first years insurance was £1060, fully comp. That was 7 years ago though. That was for a 1.2l fiat punto. Never again, it was that unreliable it was unreal. I certainly got my moneys worth out of the AA. It was that bad i ended up getting rid of the car after 6 months for a 1l micra, which turned out to be bomb proof.
My current insurance is £239. I only took that out last month- with the car being a 16 plate micra (ive had a couple of cars between the old micra and this one though).
Original post by sek510i
One point six litre van cost me £3,000 a year when I first got insurance (rather than being named on somebody else's and practicing their car occasionally). I have a friend who got quoted £5,900 a year for a Ford Transit (with business use)

You think thats expensive. A lad i worked with up until recently got quoted £8000 a few months ago for a top of the range bmw (not 100% sure which one). He was only 17 at the time
Golf R. £128 fully comp with protected NCB with John Lewis insurance. I'm not 17...

This is what makes me so angry. How can a 17-year-old driver be SUCH a greater risk in his 1.0L 52-plate Corsa that he warrants a premium of £2,000? It just smacks of a scam to me.
Mine's included in my "maintenance package" with my lease. I pay just over £200 a month all in and that includes my insurance, tax, breakdown cover, yearly service and all repairs as-needed - the car is a 1.6L Ford Fiesta Titanium that I had from new on a 3 year contract.
Original post by Reality Check
Golf R. £128 fully comp with protected NCB with John Lewis insurance. I'm not 17...

This is what makes me so angry. How can a 17-year-old driver be SUCH a greater risk in his 1.0L 52-plate Corsa that he warrants a premium of £2,000? It just smacks of a scam to me.

It's all done on statistics.

A 17 year old is far, far more likely to claim in the first six months than a 40 year old with 20+ years driving experience and 10 years + of no claims.

The cost of a collision varies wildly and will depend on the severity of the accident and the cost of repairs etc. to the other car plus compensation for ancillary compensation claims etc. It really does not matter how cheap or old the Corsa is if it hits a 1 year old Mercedes/BMW/Audi etc.

In addition, the 17 to 19 year age group are 1.5% of the total drivers on the road yet account for 36% of all RTA fatalities.

The 17 to 24 age group are 300%+ more likely to be involved in an RTA than a mature person.

Latest

Trending

Trending