The Student Room Group

Geography or Physics?

Which A Level would be better if I wished to pursue gender studies at university? I'm leaning towards physics as my friends claim it is respected unlike geography.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
That's a pretty funny joke by your friends ........
In reality, Physics is harder for sure but you cannot claim a subject isn't real or respected.
(edited 6 years ago)
Not true at all. Most top unis count Geography as a science yet exclude subjects such as Sociology as one on entry requirements. An A in Geography will get you into a top uni, a C in Physics certainly won't.
Original post by KPilkoid
I am being ridiculed by my friends for studying geography at A-level. They claim it is not a “real” subject and a C in something like physics is far more respectable than an A in geography. Is this true?

If you are going to study something like law say or psychology, an A in Geography is far more useful than a C in physics.

I always judge a subject by whether it is a degree at Oxbridge - and they definitely do Geography at Oxbridge!.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If you are going to study something like law say or psychology, an A in Geography is far more useful than a C in physics.

I always judge a subject by whether it is a degree at Oxbridge - and they definitely do Geography at Oxbridge!.

They also do medieval studies just saying, not saying geography is bad but don't rate on that.
Original post by Vikingninja
They also do medieval studies just saying, not saying geography is bad but don't rate on that.

I am probably slightly biased as I have a BSc in Geography. Medieval studies is sort of history - my nephew has a degree in it. My son who has a degree in Physics studied both physics and geography at A level - he actually found the geography harder and got a B whereas he got an A in physics.

I am saying though that Oxbridge don't do mickey mouse subjects like media....
I've never done Geography A level and still managed to get 4/5. So easy 😂😂😂😂😂.
Reply 7
Original post by ChrendeepT

Now stop answering multiple choice questions and do the 70 Mark question on Unit 4 Edexcel Geography A2.
Let me know your score... .lol
Original post by ChrendeepT

Congrats you did well with some economics questions without doing geography.
Original post by Vikingninja
Congrats you did well with some economics questions without doing geography.
That's clearly a glitch. Look at the questions.
Original post by The Pepe
Now stop answering multiple choice questions and do the 70 Mark question on Unit 4 Edexcel Geography A2.
Let me know your score... .lol
The first year of Geography is GCSE level. I'd easily get at least a c
Reply 11
Speaking as someone who did both A-level geography and A-level physics, I did get a higher grade in geography but the syllabus' difficulty paled in comparison to the physics counterpart. It all depends on what you want to do in university if you are considering that pathway for further education.
poo.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest