The Student Room Group

UNI or Apprenticeship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for your reply guys, I appreciate the fact that there is a mix of replies, and every reply is not just directed towards uni.

However, with the apprenticeship, I'm more worried about social life when compared to uni. I assume my social life will be would be bad
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Async
There's a reason why I decided to post this thread here and not in the general career advice sub forum, and that's because the members on this sub forum know me better the other ones on TSR and would therefore be able to give me advise that's more personal.

Anyway, my worry is that I may not meet my entry requirements (300) to study the software development course I want. The reason I'm struggling with some of my A-Levels is because I chose the wrong A-Levels at AS and because I had a lot of family related and health related issues going on during AS which caused to not perform as well as I could.

Following A2, I had to drop an A-Level because I totally failed it and this meant that I had to pick up an A-Level to complete in one year. I didn't have any particular interest in the subject I picked u but i did it just to pass and to try get into university. Because of that, I've had 50% more lessons than anyone else in A2 and I currently have 12 exams to do.(Including couple AS resits).

Now that it's exam seasons I've lost all motivation to study for my exams.. Apart from Computing obviously. I'd rather do something that I actually enjoy which is Computing/Coding than studying for subjects that are not even remotely relevant to my university course of interest.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should just push and try to get into uni, or should I just do an apprenticeship in software development? Bare in mind if I went to uni, I'd have like £44k debt.

What would be best for me?

Hi mate, i would argue to try the apprenticeship, obviously try to get on one which is not a ridiculously low wage, university will always be there for you, you can go at any age, personally I'm at uni now in my second year and I'm looking at other opportunities university does NOT prepare you for real life at all. Its made me very lazy and unmotivated also may add it gives you false hope and false expectations to what you will actually end up working as, and all this academia and theories and referencing will never come in handy, unless you intend to be an academic. University is all well and good as a stop gap from the real world but well and truly unless your being a dr/lawyer/teacher - ( a degree that leads into a specific job) uni is really a waste of time, I'm on my third uni course this is the longest I've stayed at one and I've recently realised this. You make your own look start out low and work your way up :smile: if it fails go to uni and see if it gets you anywhere
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by studentLynch
Hi mate, i would argue to try the apprenticeship, obviously try to get on one which is not a ridiculously low wage, university will always be there for you, you can go at any age, personally I'm at uni now in my second year and I'm looking at other opportunities university does NOT prepare you for real life at all. Its made me very lazy and unmotivated also may add it gives you false hope and false expectations to what you will actually end up working as, and all this academia and theories and referencing will never come in handy, unless you intend to be an academic. University is all well and good as a stop gap from the real world but well and truly unless your being a dr/lawyer/teacher - ( a degree that leads into a specific job) uni is really a waste of time, I'm on my third uni course this is the longest I've stayed at one and I've recently realised this. You make your own look start out low and work your way up :smile: if it fails go to uni and see if it gets you anywhere

Thanks, I will see. As for right now, I'll just get on with my work and see how things go.
Reply 23
I ended up choosing university, and I do not regret it at all :smile: The real life experience I've gained are invaluable.
Reply 24
Original post by Async
I ended up choosing university, and I do not regret it at all :smile: The real life experience I've gained are invaluable.

hey I'm in the same position you were 2 years ago and im completely lost. Not sure what kinda grades i'm going to end up with but i'm 100% sure I want to go into something IT/computer science related. I do really want to go uni but i'm not sure if i'll get into a good one. If i do go uni i want to do cs with business/management. I'm going to have to try get into a uni through clearing/adjustment and im worried i wont get a place and will have to take a gap year so im trying to apply to apprenticeships as well.

Do you mind telling me what course you ended up doing and where? And if you met your grades or got in through clearing as i'm going to have to got through clearing. Thanks :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by DiShah
x

Well, I do think you will get into university, it's not hard to get in one, I mean you're literally paying them £9k a year, I'm sure one will accept you, however, the problem is getting into a university that you want to.

I do really want to go uni but i'm not sure if i'll get into a good one.

Not getting into a "good" university isn't the end of the world, I think what's more important is the grades you get and the experience you gain from your course and university. Also, your own passion and work outside of university is what employers really care about.

Do you mind telling me what course you ended up doing and where? And if you met your grades or got in through clearing as i'm going to have to got through clearing.

I do a computer science related course, I won't disclose what university, but I did not meet my grades at all, nor did I go through clearing. I think the entry requirements was like 280 UCAS points and I got 220. Offcourse, I had a really hard time at college, so my grades weren't the best, but that didn't matter. Like I said before, it's your passion and the work you have to show that speaks for you. I'm doing much better in university now as I'm doing what I love. I got a 1st in my first year of uni and I'm on track to achieve the this year, just got one 2-3 more weeks before the results are out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending