The Student Room Group

Music a level

Does anybody do music a level? If so, do you regret it, is it harder than expected and is it possible to get an a or is that too high of a grade to aspire for because i've heard its ridiculously hard!
Can I ask why you would want to do Music as an A-Level? A levels aren't supposed to be fun, choose something that will provide you with the best future, not 2 years of fun.
Reply 2
Original post by PrisonerEngland
Can I ask why you would want to do Music as an A-Level? A levels aren't supposed to be fun, choose something that will provide you with the best future, not 2 years of fun.

A very good question! But, music a level or gcse in fact is not at all fun. It requires a lot of hard work and dedication as well as self discipline and the ability to depict change in era and style in music. At one point, it was regarded as a very hard a level, in fact one of the hardest and the reason I'm taking it is because my teacher told me i would be very good at it and i do believe it would look good along side sciences to show that i am well rounded.

You appear to be very misinformed over what music is academically.

I am currently studying A level music and have played the piano for twelve years and still it is the most difficult and challenging subject I do ( I also physics, maths, chemistry and further maths)

It is by no means a fun task, writing a full composition from scratch, a live performance, a listening exam and two essays. It is by no means easy to learn either.

Also, Universities such as Oxford and Cambridge take more applicants with a music a level than any other subject for courses that aren't even music related. Therefore your future isn't gonna be much of a disaster is it

This made me so mad to read
Reply 4
Original post by Holly Huddleston
You appear to be very misinformed over what music is academically.

I am currently studying A level music and have played the piano for twelve years and still it is the most difficult and challenging subject I do ( I also physics, maths, chemistry and further maths)

It is by no means a fun task, writing a full composition from scratch, a live performance, a listening exam and two essays. It is by no means easy to learn either.

Also, Universities such as Oxford and Cambridge take more applicants with a music a level than any other subject for courses that aren't even music related. Therefore your future isn't gonna be much of a disaster is it

This made me so mad to read

Same, glad you understand! Is it too hard to take? I've only been playing for two years and have got a grade 5. My teacher is really pushing me to do it and i'm not too sure whether to do it or not because it is so hard and i feel like my prediction would be like a c or a d
Original post by brianna123x
Same, glad you understand! Is it too hard to take? I've only been playing for two years and have got a grade 5. My teacher is really pushing me to do it and i'm not too sure whether to do it or not because it is so hard and i feel like my prediction would be like a c or a d

If you are grade 5 now that is perfect for the start of A level music. It's a really interesting subject when you go into more detail and you should be setting your sights on an A with a grade like that.

You may find it challenging because you haven't been playing for a longer amount of time but you obviously have a great talent for you and I'd encourage you to at least look at the course in more detail to see if it's right for you.

Basically if you're willing to put the work into finer details like composition then it's perfect for you 😄

If you have any questions feel free to message me hun x

It depends what you want to study later on in life, and A-level music is by no means "fun".

I did it and it was by far the hardest A-Level I did (out of Computer Science, Maths and Further Maths).

Quick Reply

Latest