The Student Room Group

Studying at Trakia university 2016 - use this thread to get to know others!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by emmalilllay
Hi there! Im a little late to this discussion, but Im just wondering why did you choose Trakia University? I was going to go through SME but changed to Inter HECS because they were cheaper and was offered the University of Forestry Sofia, with no mention of Trakia? I know its in a smaller city but do you know is there any main differences between the colleges?

Hi, I'm afraid I haven't been to Sofia before so I don't know the differences other than the obvious ones such as Sofia is a bigger city with more to do, however there are bound to be negatives as well. I will ask some friends at uni about Sofia and get back to you. The reason I chose trakia over Sofia is because I came from a village and the idea of living in a big city doesn't appeal to me. Also I liked the look of the city in pictures I saw online. My parents proceeded to visit whilst I was at college and were given a tour of the university. They noticed how friendly the supervisors are and figured I'd survive! The final decision is up to you but definitely do your research on both the universities and the cities you are looking at!:smile:
Original post by clarky0149
Hi, I'm afraid I haven't been to Sofia before so I don't know the differences other than the obvious ones such as Sofia is a bigger city with more to do, however there are bound to be negatives as well. I will ask some friends at uni about Sofia and get back to you. The reason I chose trakia over Sofia is because I came from a village and the idea of living in a big city doesn't appeal to me. Also I liked the look of the city in pictures I saw online. My parents proceeded to visit whilst I was at college and were given a tour of the university. They noticed how friendly the supervisors are and figured I'd survive! The final decision is up to you but definitely do your research on both the universities and the cities you are looking at!:smile:

thank you so much, let me know if they get back to you about Sofia. Ah I see, thats my problem I cant decide if Id prefer city life or village life, since Im a fan of them
both lol (im living in quite a suburban area so i get the best of both worlds here) Il keep doing my research, thanks a mill! :h:
Reply 22
thank you so much, let me know if they get back to you about Sofia. Ah I see, thats my problem I cant decide if Id prefer city life or village life, since Im a fan of them
both lol (im living in quite a suburban area so i get the best of both worlds here) Il keep doing my research, thanks a mill! :h:

So I have asked some of my friends from university and many had the same answer about Sofia being a big city and the small city life in stara zagora suiting them better. Take the rest with a pinch of salt as my friends are probably biased but they suggested that Sofia would be more expensive to live and getting away from the city would be harder. Also one said that in Sofia it is less safe but that is from a past experience a few years ago. However they did agree that Sofia had more to see and do and is easier to get to as it has an airport. (The nearest airport to me is Plovdiv but you can get a bus to stara zagora for 8 leva, about £3.50) No one could really comment about the university in Sofia itself as no one has been.
I know that is a lot of assumptions but it is the best I can do. If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them.
Good luck and choose wisely:wink:
[QUOTE="clarky0149;70315302"]So I have asked some of my friends from university and many had the same answer about Sofia being a big city and the small city life in stara zagora suiting them better. Take the rest with a pinch of salt as my friends are probably biased but they suggested that Sofia would be more expensive to live and getting away from the city would be harder. Also one said that in Sofia it is less safe but that is from a past experience a few years ago. However they did agree that Sofia had more to see and do and is easier to get to as it has an airport. (The nearest airport to me is Plovdiv but you can get a bus to stara zagora for 8 leva, about £3.50) No one could really comment about the university in Sofia itself as no one has been.
I know that is a lot of assumptions but it is the best I can do. If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them.
Good luck and choose wisely:wink:[/QUOTE

Thanks a mill for asking them! Gonna make a list of pro's and con's and see how I feel after that! One more question if you dont mind.. does Trakia have sports teams/clubs/societies? Would it be similar to a UK/Irish university in that way??
Reply 24
[QUOTE="emmalilllay;70316432"]
So I have asked some of my friends from university and many had the same answer about Sofia being a big city and the small city life in stara zagora suiting them better. Take the rest with a pinch of salt as my friends are probably biased but they suggested that Sofia would be more expensive to live and getting away from the city would be harder. Also one said that in Sofia it is less safe but that is from a past experience a few years ago. However they did agree that Sofia had more to see and do and is easier to get to as it has an airport. (The nearest airport to me is Plovdiv but you can get a bus to stara zagora for 8 leva, about £3.50) No one could really comment about the university in Sofia itself as no one has been.
Good luck and choose wisely:wink:[/QUOTE

Thanks a mill for asking them! Gonna make a list of pro's and con's and see how I feel after that! One more question if you dont mind.. does Trakia have sports teams/clubs/societies? Would it be similar to a UK/Irish university in that way??

That's a no I'm afraid, there are sport clubs but they are all Bulgarians, however if you and some friends did want to create a club I'm certain the supervisors would be accommodating! I hope you make the right decision and go to trakia (not biased at all) and if you decide to visit, let me know and I may be able to arrange a tour or something.
Reply 25
We also do PE twice a week if you are looking to do some sport,
[QUOTE="clarky0149;70318064"]

That's a no I'm afraid, there are sport clubs but they are all Bulgarians, however if you and some friends did want to create a club I'm certain the supervisors would be accommodating! I hope you make the right decision and go to trakia (not biased at all) and if you decide to visit, let me know and I may be able to arrange a tour or something.

Still very conflicted lol, i cant seem to find much info on Sofia or find people who go there. Im thinking aswell i might just do a pre-med course and apply next year as I feel like its so rushed and I could use the science refresher as ive been out of school two years. Hmm..well see, il hit you up if I end up going to Stara Zagora anyway! thanks for answering my Q's :h:
Guys can anyone tell me if interhecs provide 100% guaranteed place and what happens if you don't do to well on your enterance exam
Reply 28
Hey Josh,

Thanks a lot for doing this. I've applied to study Medicine at Trakia University, but I was having second thoughts on whether I will like it or not, especially considering the distance from home. But from your responses it seems like you're really enjoying the experience and it's really reassuring for me.

Awais
Reply 29
Original post by iawais
Hey Josh,

Thanks a lot for doing this. I've applied to study Medicine at Trakia University, but I was having second thoughts on whether I will like it or not, especially considering the distance from home. But from your responses it seems like you're really enjoying the experience and it's really reassuring for me.

Awais

Well thank you, I'm glad you found this useful. The med students all seem to enjoy uni here. I'm on the vet course so I can't really say anything about the med course but if you have any questions about the city I can help and uni questions I could always ask the med students for you. Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 30
Hey guys! I'm applying for this year! Does anyone know if it's possible to apply without an agency? And I've done a diploma course instead of A levels.. Is it possible to get in with that?
Thanks guys!
Reply 31
Original post by iawais
Hey Josh,

Awais

Hey did you apply directly or through an agent?
Reply 32
Original post by jamjarz
Hey guys! I'm applying for this year! Does anyone know if it's possible to apply without an agency? And I've done a diploma course instead of A levels.. Is it possible to get in with that?
Thanks guys!

So, my flatmate got on the vet course with a diploma, you should be fine.
As for applying without an agency, I know the university is trying to make this possible but I don't think it is a thing yet. I can ask our supervisors, just to make sure is it the vet course you want to apply for, I have heard from a few med students and although much of the information is the same they are a different faculty so I can't give any definite answers.
If you have any other questions I might be able to help with, just ask
Reply 33
So, my flatmate got on the vet course with a diploma, you should be fine.
As for applying without an agency, I know the university is trying to make this possible but I don't think it is a thing yet. I can ask our supervisors, just to make sure is it the vet course you want to apply for, I have heard from a few med students and although much of the information is the same they are a different faculty so I can't give any definite answers.
If you have any other questions I might be able to help with, just ask

Hey I want to apply for Medicine.. If you could ask your supervisor if it's possible to apply directly it'd be great! Also, is the city safe and all? Thank you!!
Reply 34
Original post by jamjarz
Hey I want to apply for Medicine.. If you could ask your supervisor if it's possible to apply directly it'd be great! Also, is the city safe and all? Thank you!!

I'll ask the med guys. The city is safe, I have never had any trouble. In fact I think it is a lovely city because it has many parks and you can walk out the city very easily. It is not a big city so there isn't an awful lot to do but its great nonetheless.
Reply 35
I'll ask the med guys. The city is safe, I have never had any trouble. In fact I think it is a lovely city because it has many parks and you can walk out the city very easily. It is not a big city so there isn't an awful lot to do but its great nonetheless.

Alright :biggrin: thank you so much. 😁
Reply 36
Original post by jamjarz
Alright :biggrin: thank you so much. 😁

Hello there,
Unfortunately, for now the only way to apply is through an agency. I'm sorry but the paperwork and stuff requires an agency. I used Study Medicine Europe, if you are still interested despite the need for an agency, I know its not ideal, i will try my best to answer any other questions you have.
Once again sorry it is not the answer you were looking for,
Josh:smile:
Reply 37
Hi there,

I'm considering the possibility of applying to Trakia next year to do Vet Med as a second degree, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the information provided on the university website.

It says that 'prior to starting the special studies foreigners admitted as students shall have a ten-month training course in Bulgarian language'. Does that mean that non-Bulgarian students must take a preparatory year in addition to the 5 1/2 years for the degree? If so, how are you finding it?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions, it's a very useful insight!
Reply 38
Original post by Coriolis
Hi there,

I'm considering the possibility of applying to Trakia next year to do Vet Med as a second degree, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the information provided on the university website.

It says that 'prior to starting the special studies foreigners admitted as students shall have a ten-month training course in Bulgarian language'. Does that mean that non-Bulgarian students must take a preparatory year in addition to the 5 1/2 years for the degree? If so, how are you finding it?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions, it's a very useful insight!

Okay, we don't have an extra year. I believe the website is referring to the Bulgarian language lessons. For the first two years we do Bulgarian language lessons to prepare us for work experience in real Bulgarian vet clinics. I'll make sure with the supervisors that it isn't changing for future years but I would have thought you would do the same as us.
Just to warn you the language is difficult but manageable once you get your head around the alphabet!

I hope this helps,
Josh
Reply 39
Well the information is correct! A foreign students have 2 options:
1. Study Bulgarian language for 1 year (10 months) and start your education in Bulgarian language with the Bulgarian groups. If you use this option you will have to pay the regular tuition fee (1000 leva), the rest will be paid by the ministry of education.
2. Start your education in English (as I did). Those students will have Bulgarian language classes within the first 2 years, but it matters just for their better understanding of the local customs, travel around the country etc. If you use this you have to pay the whole amount 4000 euro (since the ministry of education doesn't provide anything​).

The supervisor said that these are your two options. I would recommend option 2, the agencies are geared toward this and you will be with other English students. Also your education is ten months less!

Hope this helps and ask away if you have any other questions,

Josh :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending