The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

because hes a politician and they get away with everything.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Erm, because he hasn't been convicted of any offence?
That's kinda how it works.
That'd require proof that he intentionally ordered the killings of prisoners and civilians which simply isn't going to happen. It's just become boring political rhetoric now.
Reply 4
Original post by Conceited
That'd require proof that he intentionally ordered the killings of prisoners and civilians which simply isn't going to happen. It's just become boring political rhetoric now.

How about the illegal war in Iraq?
Original post by QE2
Erm, because he hasn't been convicted of any offence?
That's kinda how it works.

He's gotten away with murder.
Because different rules apply for the powerful.
Reply 7
Original post by Sarahsez
How about the illegal war in Iraq?

It wasn't illegal.

Ill advised. Poorly reasoned. Badly planned. Badly executed. General fustercluck. Yes to all.

But none of those are against the law.
Original post by I committed zina
because hes a politician and those scumbags get away with everything.

Not paedophilia
Tony Blair led us into a war, using lies and deception, resulting in the death of thousands of our soldiers and hundreds of thousands of civilians. His actions have given rise to instability in the region and terror groups the freedom to rise. He should be arrested and put in prison.

I really can't get worked up about Blair. He did a lot of good things, he did some bad things...politics as usual.

I really don't mind him, and I certainly don't buy into this vilification of him into some exemplar of evil and corruption.
Reply 10
Original post by queen-bee
He's gotten away with murder.
And if he has, that is why he is not in jail - which is what the OP asked.

I am no fan BTW. He ruined the Labour party for years and it is only now starting to present an alternative to the Tories rather than just holding up a badly polished mirror.
Thatcher said that one of her her greatest achievements was Tony Blair and New Labour.
Reply 11
The obvious reason being, despite what you may read online or in the Morning Star, he hasn't committed any war crimes.
Tony Blair led us into a war, using lies and deception, resulting in the death of thousands of our soldiers and hundreds of thousands of civilians. His actions have given rise to instability in the region and terror groups the freedom to rise. He should be arrested and put in prison.

You're just making this up as you go along, aren't you?
I don't think Blair should be in jail exactly, but he is still a scumbag; and he mustn't ever get the chance to get back in politics. Corbyn needs to make sure Blairites never get in a position to put Tony Blair back as the Leader of Labour Party. Its unlikely, but due to political instability there is always a chance. Although I still think Tony Blair is history- people thought he might come back due to "Corbyn being unelectable"- What a lot of hogwash and *******s. Corbyn is in a position to actually win the election, or atleast make it a hung election, better than dear Ed Milliband ever could.I really think we should just try to ignore him to the point that he is never relevant ever again- especially in politics.
Reply 14

Blair cant be and never will be tried for war crimes. The war was legal, Saddam should've been removed after he used chemical weapons on Iran and Kurds. As for the WMDs and dossier, he could be tried for misleading parliament however this wouldn't look good since the intelligence was originally stamped by MI6 so Blair mislead parliament because MI6 mislead him.

I know people struggle to believe this but if you just take the time to read into Blair you'll genuinely believe he went into iraq with a good heart. And when the Saddam government was overthrown people were beyond happy, sadly there was a huge vaccum and I blame for the US for it. We gave plenty of advice they ignored such as not dissolving the entire Iraqi army and not executing saddam (his trial was a disgrace). The failure was all down to not planning what would happen when saddam was overthrown because all they planned was to shut down the govt, shut down civil service and all agencies, suspend judiciary, dissolve army.. you can see why it became an anarchy, the Shia rebellions under the Iranian influence fuelled the extremeism which later led to the rise of Al-Qaeda in Iraq since they felt oppressed and were being attacked, I'm not saying this to justify AQI but I'm simplying justifying why there was a huge growth in AQI millitants.

The truth is, we defeat ISIS, we stabilised iraq, sure it wasnt perfect but it was on the right track in 2010 and 2011, withdrawing too soon is what led to the chaos today. Poor foreign policy from obama is what allowed ISIS/AQI to rise again, Blair and Bush never got to finish what they started, and they were close, we just needed a few more years to make sure the stability was firm.

I find iraq really interesting, in all honestly my views are we should've just fined Kuwait for undercutting Oil prices. Saddam would've never have invaded Kuwait and there would've been no economic sanctions which ultimately led to the radicalisation we see today.

I dont justify terrorism or the ideology of Islamic extremism but people need to look at why its grown in recent years and how these factors are actually linked to events which the west should've prevented.
Original post by I committed zina
because hes a politician and those scumbags get away with everything.

Says "I commited zina"
As pointed out he hasnt been charged or convicted of anything.
Technically, politicians are free to make bad decisions without consequence. That's kinda why they are the prime minister and you're not. Unfortunately the actions of the prime minister of the time is always going to produce undesirable consequences to some people, and Tony Blairs actions have resulted in a war that has worsened the tensions in the Middle East.

If if wasn't him, another prime minister might have done the same. It's easy for the rest of us to think we would act differently in his shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by MADMANMALIK
I don't think Blair should be in jail exactly, but he is still a scumbag; and he mustn't ever get the chance to get back in politics. Corbyn needs to make sure Blairites never get in a position to put Tony Blair back as the Leader of Labour Party. Its unlikely, but due to political instability there is always a chance. Although I still think Tony Blair is history- people thought he might come back due to "Corbyn being unelectable"- What a lot of hogwash and *******s. Corbyn is in a position to actually win the election, or atleast make it a hung election, better than dear Ed Milliband ever could.I really think we should just try to ignore him to the point that he is never relevant ever again- especially in politics.

You're actually dumb if you think Blair will return to front line politics again. No one wanted Blair to return, rather they wanted to build on his & browns work as new Labour. Ed Miliband was actually on track to get a hung parliament too, despite corbyns gains nothing actually indicates hes near to winning, sure he closed the gap.. the gap he created. It's also worth noting the polls always overestimate labour especially around this time of the election campaign.

The only labour politician who's been asked to return is David Miliband, i dont recall people wanting Blair. Even Blairites know hes toxic and if the ideas of New Labour are to succeed in the future, it'll need to be made distant from Blair
Original post by hjuiop
Shut up you smelly vagina.

Right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending